It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Neucleonic Engines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I had just seen the new Popular Mechanics, in it
an Atomic powered aircraft being developed
has been confirmed.

Sadly, after doing some google work, I have also found
that the Pentagon could working on the first
gamma emmision bomb.

The basic idea behind the gamma generator is:
Electricity powers a small scale x-ray generator that
bombards Hafnium 178 at a moderate level, the
Hafnium then reacts by emitting gamma radiation.

I wonder why someone hasn't thought this would
also open up the possiblity of making a power plant
out of this technology since the work/output ratio is
like 1:60.

Links:
(University of Dallas is where it all started)
www.utdallas.edu...

www.nuclear.com...

popularmechanics.com...

www.amon-hen.com...

www.lns.cornell.edu...

I thought the U.S.A.F. NEPA program ended in 1951?
So is this reality or is this bunk?

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by Crysstaafur]
*added UT link.

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i can't really decide if it's real or not base on only these evidence. but hey if we do have this gamma emmision bomb, well...we're screwed

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Good God, a gamma ray emission bomb, when will the madness end? I suppose we can look at the positive side, It won�t leave the land uninhabitable for 10,000 years and the buildings and infrastructure will be intact after the blast. Hooray, a �green� bomb.

Once emitted, gamma rays are no different than x rays which often have the same energies. Since the oscillating charges in the nucleus emit their energy as short wavelength electromagnetic waves, this process is not a nuclear reaction. None of the interior particles of the nucleus escape to cause a nuclear reaction and the atom finishes as the stable (non-radioactive) ground state of the same isotope of the same element.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I still think there are some positive uses for this technology. the bomb thing was merely rumor, so
take it with a grain of salt. However, the airplane engine
apparently may have some actual truth to it. Particulary with UAV's.

I still think that this could be used for a *greener* power plant. Atomic/Nuclear power is the way of the future!

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The Hafnium Bomb has been in development forever - well, they haven't exactly gotten close to making a bomb yet, they are still trying to get hafnium to actually do something.

Its similar to the cold fusion debacle over a decade ago - no other scientists have been able to get it to work but the scientists who claim it works. I'm not saying cold fusion or a hafnium bomb isn't possible - I just think they could be going about it the wrong way.

Its interesting to note that the scientists behind cold fusion have been granted a re-review from the government on the technology, and that the hafnium technology is being pushed forward quickly.

Check this article out that was in the washington post a few weeks ago: www.washingtonpost.com...

The whole article is posted in the link above. I recommend anyone who is interested in Hafnium technology to read it. I will point out though, the 28 billion dollars an ounce (about 28 grams) for Hafnium is very, very exaggerated. You'll find later in the article that "the production cost estimates have come down by 'three orders of a magnitude' to about $1 million a gram..." I think that thats even a little exaggerated. Nevertheless, it is still cheaper than 28 billion dollars an ounce.

Anyways, enjoy! :-D

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
After reading that, jeez.. this is way worse than I had imagined. Then again, given the alternatives I have listed this could also be very beneficial. Thanks for posting the link, this was very informative!

new topics

top topics

join