It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPs to Debate Immediate Election

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Perhaps we should ask the question of WHY she needed to do that?

Couldn't be anything to do with the previous Labour government bancrupting the country could it?

And I mean LITERALLY bancrupting.

It took nearly 20 years to get the economy back in shape, only for "new" labour to come in and mess it all up again, and lead us AGAIN to the egde of bancruptcy.

We need a complete overhaul of the political system - in other words, politics without the politicians, or at least of the current ilk.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
have the SNP and Plaid Cymru got enough support for a non confidence vote? at rpesent are the whips too weak given the recent affairs and we could have the house of cards come crashing down?

i know the SNP want an independant scotland - but take away the funding from england and they haven`t the economy to support it

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Thought I'd include my contribution of an alternative voting system, from a previous post as it's quite apt for this thread...

A possible solution to voting...

The whole point to the problems we face is the power that has been given to the likes of Rothschild, Rockefeller & Royalty blood lines centuries ago. This has trickled down to current politics with the same elitists from Eton and Oxbrbridge who instil pervasive power over the lower echelons of society.

This power evolves towards their overall quest for centralised power. Setting up global cartels like the FED & BoE, is just another rib on their skeletal plan; they want to be the backbone of global governance and monetary control. Why? Well that's debatable. Perhaps they want to suck our blood or use us as batteries like in the Matrix.

It seems that lately there is so much change in legislation that it becomes apparent the laws are written by the elite. Copyright for example, has been taken to the extreme. France has now legislated a 3 strikes and you're out rule. If you are caught downloading then you are banned for 1 year and STILL have to pay your ISP broadband. I fear that the UK may follow suit.

The *IAA's of US have managed to change the legal structure and is just a soupçon of the insidious power the elites have over the judicial process.

From America, i really believe the whole voting process is a façade. There was some awesome research done by Bev Harris, an housewife who exposed the software hacking they did for polling station machines. Overview video here. (Bev's site here).

So what's the solution?

Well i propose disbanding parliament or at least decentralising power. Let each council be the governance of that county. Even better yet, create publicly limited companies which handle the budgets local to each council. If they screw up, then there could be a management buy-out or they go into liquidation and a new company takes the reigns.

Each local constituent company then has their own website where people can suggest changes for their community. People then vote on these issues and each person is allocated a PIN number so they can see their vote on a list but still remain anonymous.

This should be done anyway at polling stations. Once you vote, you see the tally for that party go up by one, but it's all hidden away in software, so question why that is the case.

Voting is just a way for g'ments to make people believe they are making a difference. Those figures have already been crunched way before an election is called.

The generic infrastructure should be handled by the newer parliament in London as that's all they should do and nothing more. They would manage the roads from road tax income, hospitals from national insurance contributions, etc where each fund goes towards that task. At the moment road tax, petrol duty goes into the Treasury pot, which the g'ment then allocates for MP's expenses, black-ops, wars, etc.

The whole point in this dissemination of power is to encourage competition. If Newcastle pilots a new scheme that people love, then other council companies will soon follow suit, much like any new embryonic product bought to market; others will soon follow by making the same product 10% cheaper, faster, better. The product evolves as the people are voting by buying the product.

Anyway, the above is fluffy and idealistic, but one thing for sure i do know: the trend towards centralised power and monetary mismanagement is dangerous.

In summary, no fat f**k bearocrat in London should never, ever tell a farmer how to milk his cows in Cornwall.

Regards
PoS

Edit: yellowbeard's parliamentary proposal is also an excellent alternative. His post is here.

[edit on 4-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Freeborn, you do realise that Political Parties are not officially recognised by parliament and each member is supposed to represent their constituents, but we, the people, allow party politics in the system which was never designed for it in the first place. The Whip system is the same, it isn't a function of parliament, but of the parties themselves.

Yes, I do realise that but unfortunately it has become engrained and accepted practice.
No-one dare speak out against it.
Party politics is a complete and utter failure and is destroying this country.

Any politician who has the balls to stand up and fight against it would become either a national hero or would be hung drawn and quartered, but it would certainly stimulate open and honest debate about electoral and parliamentary reform, something we desperately need.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
How did Gordon Brown get the position anyway?

When a prime minister steps down (Tony Blair), should there not be an election? Is this not written officially anywhere?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AR154

I know Wikipedia can be unreliable but this is an excellent piece on the role of The Prime Minister and the history of the position.
en.wikipedia.org...

I think it is fair to point out that of the 12 post war Prime Ministers 6 gained the position without winning a General Election and as such Gordon Brown is by no means unique.

Further evidence that parliamentary reform is urgently required.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

i know the SNP want an independant scotland - but take away the funding from england and they haven`t the economy to support it

Tell you what, we will keep the revenues from the oil we recieve from the oil Rigs in the north sea, and you keep your funding. We will see how long it would take for people in England to bitch about how successfull we are. Or if you want give back the money the UK Gov stole from Scotland over the last 30 years. Then england can go her own way and scotland can go hers.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Laura, both you and I know that total dissolution of The Union would be disastrous for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Yes, we all want more say on local matters etc, but we are better together than divided and we should concentrate on our common links etc.

It is not as simple as saying 'we'll stop our subsidies' and 'we'll keep our oil revenues', it is much more complex than that and to suggest other is either naivety or stupidity.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I know that, just irks me sometimes when Members post oh scotland gets more of its share off the pot than it should. Hello We do pay as much tax as anyone else does in the UK. Some seem to forget this.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I understand, I think we English have some genuine complaints, as have The Scots.

Unfortunately far too many people lack the ability to look at things from another viewpoint in an effort to understand opposing points of view.

We do need reform but the total dissolution of The Union would be so harmful for all of us and I would positively resist any attempt at enforcing it.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Agreed that it's nonsense, we should instead be working together to combat assimilation by the EU. Which do the Scots think is worse?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AR154

I do not like the Federal state of the EU, so WE are in agreement there.

Would prefer The UK to pull out of the EU.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Yes indeed, a truly United Kingdom which understands and appreciates individual rights, regional requirements and cultural diversity and heritage with a common unifying bond.

A return to increased links with our steadfast Commonwealth friends like Canada, Australia and New Zealand whilst retaining trade links with continental Europe and other markets.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Couldn't agree more

The EU is a bunch of countries with no common cultural, historical or political heritage. But the Commonwealth is united - though the way we turned our back on it means some members think much less of us in Britain, and indeed the Commonwealth itself, these days. And understandably so. But I do think we can undo our past mistakes. Together we'd be the strongest trading and political block on the planet.

Might upset USA and China though

As for the little ol' British Isles - I've always thought a Federal Union was the answer. Seems to work in Canada and Australia. And we could include Eireann, Man and the Channel Isles (and who knows? Maybe allow the Faraoes and Iceland in to make it a North Atlantic Federal Union?) Hmmm I feel like Empire Building

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Labour do have the majority however all that is needed is a large number of MP's asking for an election. If that happens then it will be all over the press, the people may get annoyed enough to encourage it and hopefully something will happen.

I must admit however i'm rather skeptical about all of the poliitical parties at the moment. If only David Cameron had stuck to his guns over the Lisbon Treaty vote and ID cards i would be all for the conservatives.

Either way it will be an interesting week, thanks for the article OP.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by Laurauk

A return to increased links with our steadfast Commonwealth friends like Canada, Australia and New Zealand whilst retaining trade links with continental Europe and other markets.

Too late. Australia's economic and political focus is now firmly on their Asian/Pacific neighbours. China and Japan are of greater significance than we are. I suspect New Zealands trade with Iran is of nearly as important as her trade with us. Canada is happily locked into the North American trade area. Don't forget that all these countries have undergone huge cultural changes as a result of immigration.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join