It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo: the Xbox game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Guantanamo: the Xbox game

www.telegraph.co.uk

Former Guantanamo Bay detainee Moazzam Begg will take the starring role in a new computer game based on life at the prison camp.

Begg, from Birmingham, was captured by the CIA and thrown in jail at Guantanamo Bay in 2003.

The 41-year-old, who was released in 2005, will now feature as himself in the game for Microsoft's Xbox 360.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
In the game, players control a detainee at the camp, which has been sold by the US Government to a shadowy agency called Freedom Corp.

Before he is subjected to torture and scientific experiments, the character must shoot his way out of the detention camp to bring down his captors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus, is there no end to what some will do to try and make money (I am talking about Microsoft here, not Begg)? Surely this particularly poor and troublesome episode in the USA's history would be better left alone. What can Microsoft ever hope to achieve by attaching their name to this disaster?

Bizarre.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
what has microsoft got to do with it?

its a glasgow company called T-Enterprise making the game titled

Rendition: Guantanamo

but they need a publisher and you can bet like the fullajah game , no one will pick it up.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Yea, I'm an idiot, thought this was a Microsoft Production. Thanks for putting me right on that.

The point still stands though that this is tasteless in the extreme.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Xbox is a product of Microsoft, the games are developed by separate companies.

Sounds like a boring game too...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101
The point still stands though that this is tasteless in the extreme.

Be that as it may if they can find a publisher and distributor more power to them.

I still dont get why video games as a form of media have been harped on so much. Is t because the book-burnings and Tipper/Gore assault on music werent successful so all the Nazi's had to jump on over to video games?

Next time you're at your local library stroll by the trash paperbacks and take a gander at how many books there are about bestiality fantasies and race-war. $10 says your mother has checked out one of those "raped by a lion" books on more than one occasion. Grandmothers seem to really like them too.

It's just a story. That's all it is.

If you really thought it was horrendous and tasteless then bringing attention to it is exactly the wrong thing to do. Just let it fade off into obscurity. 99% of the time games designed around being "edgy" suck anyway and nobody ever plays them. How big did that "JFK Assassination" game ever get? Not very. It faded away in a couple of weeks and nobody ever talks about it. Like it never happened.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I do think it's tasteless but was bringing to ATS for others to offer their opinions on, I thought that was what this site was about. I'm not trying to publicise the product in anyway.

I know what you are saying about it just "being a story". However, it's a story that involves the torture of human beings (some of them innocent) that occured on the back of the death of circa 3,000 innocent civilians in New York.

I just dont think it's the sort of subject matter that should be convereted into a GAME.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Not sure I'm all up-on-that.

It's one thing having a fictional city like San Andreas of Liberty City with satirical parallels to our own world but it's a different thing having Guantanamo with an actual inmate from there as a character.

I'm all for it though if the Neo-Nazi's are allow to recreate Auschwitz with Jews who served there as NPCs.

What do you think the chances of that are though?

-m0r

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty

I'm all for it though if the Neo-Nazi's are allow to recreate Auschwitz with Jews who served there as NPCs.

What do you think the chances of that are though?

-m0r

It may be in the works somewhere.

There's Ethnic Cleansing the video game in the meantime.

Google Video Link

While in college I had been in more than one dorm room where people were playing GTA in such a way they would time each other 5 minutes and go for blacks, hispanics, jews (however they were identified in the game) and whoever got the highest number won. The funniest part of those little games was that the room would be full of students of every race playing. For some the race-hate was the real thing and for others it was a ridiculous joke.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Jesus, are you for real? People would play GTA and target specific racial groups and attribute scores on the basis of who "killed" the most?

No wonder the world in crumbling around us when you have people at supposedly "higher" education conducting themselves in this manner.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

I dont think it's as cut and dry or as dire as "world is crumbling." Like I said, the genuine bigots would take it one way and those who were not bigots would take it another. You'd have the football team in there, players of all races, playing this way and people calling out "cracker" this and "'n-word'" that nearly everyone laughing the whole time and the next day they're out playing some basketball or at practice just like a bunch of friends.

As generations pass genuine racism fades but it doesnt just fade away and is gone all nice and neat. It changes shape. Sometimes becoming a caricature of itself in it's inherent absurdity.

Personally, I like it this way. It makes spotting a real bigot much easier. When everything is suppressed and silenced the racists among us just keep quiet and blend in. When you've got a room full of people mocking the cartoonish concepts genuine bigotry carries the real racist feels it's okay to open his mouth. For anyone who's been in a social situation like this you know when that line is crossed. The entire room knows when that line is crossed. The bigot is found and cant hide anymore.

Taking the P.C. gestapo approach to things only emboldens the real bigots.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

That game is messed up man!

And it's pretty much my idea of what this Guantanamo game will be like.

Thanks for showing me it though, it'll come in handy when I'm trying to prove what not to do when creating a game.

-m0r

new topics

top topics

join