It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What About Feng Shui?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Is there any validity to this traditional practice? I've never tried applying Feng Shui arrangement / alignment to my home, but have changed things around and felt the space was much better utilized. Does Feng Shui work and is there any scientific evidence to support that? If anyone doesn't know what Feng Shui is, I've included some background information below.

Feng shui (pronounced "phong shway") is a Chinese philosophy about the relationship between humans and their environment. It is about how everything is connected and affects your well-being. Based on the laws of nature, its theories offer us a way of understanding why certain things occur and how to create a comfortable environment that lets us live and work efficiently and progressively.

Developed over 5,000 years ago as a system of how to survive and excel in harmony with nature, feng shui theories came from logical assumptions about natural causes and effects that endured through time. Passed down from generation to generation, only a select few understand the phenomenon of feng shui in its entirety. The complexity and correct application of feng shui takes many years to learn from a master. The ideas presented here offer some of the basic concepts that explain the principles of feng shui.

Feng shui is based on the Taoist philosophies of nature: these include the Yin-Yang Theory, Five Element Theory and the trigrams of the the trigrams of the Yi-Jing. Everything is made of qi (pronounced chee) or energy which is organized into five elements: metal, fire, water, wood and earth and associated to the trigrams. Do not think of the five elements as static physical elements but energies like frequencies which have direction and a unique wavelength.

The Five Element Theory explains how qi cycles in nature, constantly changing from phase to phase, since energy is neither created nor destroyed. Consequently, everything around us is connect ed and has the potential to affect our well-being. Today, feng shui is a multi-disciplinary study emcompassing architecture, urban planning, geography, astrology, lectromagnetism, landscape design, environmental psychology, and many others.

The origins of Feng Shui were not just limited to The Chinese, all ancient civilisations used it. The reason why its so popular today, is because in our fast paced society, with advances made in science, medicine, technology, practically every day, we are moving further and further away from living naturally within our environment. We sense as a species that there is something missing in our lives, but we can't quite tell what it is, and so we search for that elusive something.

One of the principles of Feng Shui is yin and yang, which I am sure you have heard of, have you? It is used for a basic understanding of how life works, one of its basic tenets is that when things become too extreme, they alternate to its opposite state. Things are too extreme we have forgotten the importance of our environment.
When we do this we become extremely stressed which as we know is one of the biggest killers in today's society. This is why Feng Shui has returned, to supply this much needed education and balance.

Thales of Miletus who historians claim as the first philosopher, (incidentally born at the same time as Lao Zi,) told us that water is the first principle, and everything comes from this, including earth, air fire and water. What did he mean by this?

Modern scientists now understand that energy reaches us from space, this energy is actually electricity made up of sub atomic particles. According to the wave motion theory this energy reaches us in waves like water, get it? When this energy reaches our atmosphere it interacts with magnetism formed by the rotation of the earth and an Electro Magnetic field is formed, this binds atoms, forms molecules and produces matter. Matter is said to have its greatest manifestation in Earth Air Fire and Water, and this is what Thales was referring to when he said that everything comes from water.

Well apart from the formation of life, the universe and everything. Water on our planet actually creates wind, the sun warms the water, the water turns into vapour, which is collected in the atmosphere and turns into clouds. These clouds became so heavy and dense with water molecules that they release them on to the land sustaining plants and crops. The water soaks into the ground so now the sun heats water in the seas and oceans and the moist earth causing more wind, and so ecosystems and weather formations are built, life flourishes. The symbolism of this life cycle indicates the macrocosm and the microcosm, the importance of which shows us that we are totally dependent on our environment and that our environment is dependent on us. Feng Shui allows us to analyse people and their environment, people are the microcosm of their surroundings when we change one we affect the other, by understanding this unique relationship and chemistry we are able to implement subtle cures creating balance in their lives.. This alleviates stress and promotes wellness and well being, it feels like always being in the right place at the right time.

Any thoughts or personal experiences to add to this discussion?

All the Best,
Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 05:54 AM
link   
About The 5 elements theory (Chi-Qong (CHINA), ZEN (japan) you can read

"the book of five rings (Go Rin No Sho)", Written by Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

( The Ground Book. The Water Book. The Fire Book. The Wind Book. The Book of the Void.)

(It's a quite short book, go at www.samurai.com... for a translated version)

For learn YI-KING, the best is to read FO-HI (FEU-HI) Transformations book.

FO-HI has invented 8-TRIGRAMMS and 64-HEXAGRAMMS.

I found softwares about feng-tsui at : www.aballantine.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
i don't know if it works, but there is a town in Kalifornia( SAUSALITO) that decided not to build a new police station and fire station because it disrupted the feng shui. so the police were relegated to a trailer house on the outskirts of town. i hope it was worth it.

www.startribune.com...
[Edited on 2/8/2003 by AegisFang]

[Edited on 2/8/2003 by AegisFang]

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've been to Sausilito several times, it's across the bay from San Francisco via the Golden Gate Bridge. I did not know that the town planners used Feng Shui principles when building the police station.

I watched a program that showed the ancient Chinese Emperor's Hidden City was also built along Feng Shui guidlines. They aligned everything according to energy grids and even levelled hills, planted trees and created a lake to fit into Feng Shui requirements.

I've heard of people who suffered with headaches, bad tempers and even nightmares, and after using Feng Shui, their homes became tranquil and plesant. They even claim that their houseplants began to flourish and their birds sang much more.

I find it interesting and may try it,
Deep

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
ermsss
feng shui(wind and water) erm in my country it is a must use ancient tradition from to harmonize a house
even to make big building including a business.
good fortune maybe i think

top topics

join