It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Morality Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This one has been floating around in my head for quite some time. It's kind of a morality question based on time travel, and see's the extent of how selfish people really can be..

Lets say you were walking in a park with your wife (or husband for all you ladies)... and your wife is the love of your life.. You are so completely satisfied and happy with this person that living without her would be unbearable. And as you walk through the park, a mugger kills her (watch the Time Machine). Now, stricten with such amazing grief, you spend 6 years alone, insane, and determined to create a time machine to save her. You were successful, and go back to time to the time of her death.....
Now, once you get back in time your time machine is destroyed and you are UNABLE to get back to the future. And lets say that it is possible to have 2 of you to exist at the same time in the same place (Your current heartbroken self and your past Happy self).... Once you save your wife (and she will stay alive, no predestined death for that particular time).... What do you do now? There is only one of her and 2 of you? Would you let your old self keep her while you remained tortured. Would you keep her and let your old happy self be tortured like you have been in the past 6 years... or would you kill your old self? How far would people go to be giving... and/or selfish....against themselves?

This is also under the impression that killing my past self doesn't automatically wipe out my current self... Me personally,I'm pretty selfish. My old self is me... everything I was, all our memories are the same. Plus I worked my ass off for 6 miserable years.. and no way is that happy lil bastard gonna get away with taking my reward
He gets off easy, no miserable years, never having to feel the loss. My current self becomes more happy than my old self would ever be. What would you do ?

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well I probably would kill off my former self as well if it was not for the paradox that killing my former self would kill me too. Not to Mention that if my wife had not been murdered I would not have created the time machine in the first place so how could I even be in the past in the first place?

Cause and Effect Sucks!

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, if I was going to spend 6 years inventing a time machine, while I was at it I'd also build a robot to send back and save her...terminator stylee.

new topics

join