It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. County raids homeless camp under 10 Freeway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I've always known of the existence of places like this, but this is a pretty big one. But why force them out? It's not like they have anywhere to go, and it obviously wasn't hurting anyone by them living there, especially if it's been used for years. I realize that it's public property, but this beats the tent cities and laying around on sidewalks and park benches. I bet everyone felt a great bit of pride kicking those people out, particularly that student who couldnt' wait to show off what he/she discovered. People complain that they don't want their tax dollars helping a bunch of bums who should just suck it up and get a job, or wishing they would get off the streets and go somewhere so they can't be seen. They obviously were doing it, but then they get kicked out. I'm sure they will eventually move back into it, but at least their cave got a good cleaning.

www.latimes.com...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
I've always known of the existence of places like this, but this is a pretty big one. But why force them out? It's not like they have anywhere to go, and it obviously wasn't hurting anyone by them living there, especially if it's been used for years. I realize that it's public property, but this beats the tent cities and laying around on sidewalks and park benches. I bet everyone felt a great bit of pride kicking those people out, particularly that student who couldnt' wait to show off what he/she discovered. People complain that they don't want their tax dollars helping a bunch of bums who should just suck it up and get a job, or wishing they would get off the streets and go somewhere so they can't be seen. They obviously were doing it, but then they get kicked out. I'm sure they will eventually move back into it, but at least their cave got a good cleaning.

www.latimes.com...

God,USA is disgusting is this how it treats its people .thank God , I live in India , atleast we indians don't treat the poor like that .

even soviet union treated its citizens million times better(gave free homes,free electricity,free transportation ,subsidized food etc.)

I hope God punishes USA to the extreme , after all God is of the meek and poor , not of the pride and arrogant , the pride and arrogant are of devil , and thereby USA is spawn of the devil

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kombatt98
God,USA is disgusting is this how it treats its people .thank God , I live in India , atleast we indians don't treat the poor like that .

no, you indians tend to just drive over the slum dwellings in heavy machinery while people are still inside.
are you really that ignorant of the plight of the poor in your own country or just deliberately misleading?

on topic, that place sounds disgusting. i wouldn't like to live there but i noticed that the only bum interviewed felt protected there, not from psycos or nut jobs or the junkies or the crack heads, but from the police.
an interesting state of affairs where homeless people feel most threatened by the police.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

no, you indians tend to just drive over the slum dwellings in heavy machinery while people are still inside.
are you really that ignorant of the plight of the poor in your own country or just deliberately misleading?

on topic, that place sounds disgusting. i wouldn't like to live there but i noticed that the only bum interviewed felt protected there, not from psycos or nut jobs or the junkies or the crack heads, but from the police.
an interesting state of affairs where homeless people feel most threatened by the police.

nonsense , mostly MLA's manage to stall slum demolitions for it will harm their votebanks

in the 17-18th century , but you anglo-saxon british came , looted and plundered us and made us poor .

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Is the pot calling the kettle black? A person from a country where half the population lives in slums that the government will raze over in a heartbeat has the nerve to complain about the US?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

nonsense , mostly MLA's manage to stall slum demolitions for it will harm their votebanks

mostly? what about the rest? you and i both know that slums are cleared and no-one gives a crap what happens to the people who are moved out. besides, the conditions in the slums are just as bad as this "cave" except that there are millions and millions of indians living in slums while there were 30 in that "cave". you are in no position to be morally superior.

in the 17-18th century , but you anglo-saxon british came , looted and plundered us and made us poor .

first of all, i'm not british, secoundly, conditions were no better under indian rule than under british, the caste system was far more oppressive than anything the brits dreamt up, and thirdly, indians were happy enough to rape, loot and plunder africa as part of the british empire, so don't throw stones in a glass house.

india is poor because the upper class indians are more concerned with lining their own pockets than they are with the plight of the poor and working classes, the fact that you tried to come on here and spout rubbish and denounce the way america treats it heroin addicts living in squalor speaks volumes to the reasons you fail to grasp the simplicity of the problems your country faces.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

when a USC journalism student researching homelessness spotted the opening in the underpass near the San Gabriel River in Baldwin Park.

Why did this person think to report homelessness?

"Somewhere around here. It's a big river," he said. Wherever it is, he said, he prefers to stay out of public view. "I don't want people to feel uneasy because I'm around, like kids," he said. Dafoe, who describes himself as a former freight handler from Nebraska, said the baby paraphernalia found in the Cave is just bric-a-brac scavenged from recycling expeditions and that children have not lived there.

Homeless people have to live somewhere. Guess the underworld is the next stop for these guys. Look for the markings. Say Hi to Remy if you see him.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

I've never heard the poor being treated good anywhere in any country. I've never been to India, but I do have friends that have originated from there and they don't have much good to say about the poverty in their country. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't you all forbidden from showing any signs of affection towards your spouse? Or is it non married couples not allowed? I'm just going by what little i've heard about the country and from that Richard Gere thing a few years back. It doesn't sound like there's that much better going on than here or anywhere, so why hate on the U.S? Just like in any country you meet people that are cool, but you also meet a lot of not so cool people. Also, as much as I dislike what has happened to these homeless people, at least they weren't rounded up and shot or anything.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

The fact that a student did something on them is what kind of irritates me. I want to give the student the benefit of the doubt and figure maybe he/she didn't intend for them to be relocated, but just to maybe try and shed some light on how homeless people have to live, rather than the smelly disgusting people that most assume they are. Force them out of their "home" and give them hot dogs and live in a shelter for a limited amount of time, yes that solves everything. I realize that not all homeless people are down on the luck, but their by choice, but if they are hiding in some hidden place that the public isn't even aware of or would even care about going, then this is fine, they aren't hurting anyone.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

in one way i see what you're saying, leave them where they are, but in another respect, the place was filthy and unsanitary and it was public property, if the authorities knew they were there and let the situation continue they would have a responsibility to them.

once this became public knowledge there was little choice but to do a clean up and be seen to move these people along, but even the oficials moving them along acknowledged that they'ld be back in short order. this is more an exercise in being able to say "we did our best" if anything happens.

top topics

join