It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Starts Testing 'Judge Dredd' Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Army Starts Testing 'Judge Dredd' Weapon

www.foxnews.com

The U.S. Army is set to start testing a computerized, high-tech projectile launcher that can take out bad guys hiding around corners and in caves or trenches, even if they're out of the soldier's line of sight.

Some experts call it the "Judge Dredd" gun, after the Sylvester Stallone movie. The Pentagon calls it the XM-25 Individual Air Burst Weapon, which uses a laser rangefinder to precisely measure the distance to a target, then primes a fuse on a timed grenade so that the projectile explodes exactly where it should.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/28/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is a interesting weapon development. It should really help give our troops the upper hand in urban combat, which is the battleground of the future. Here is a picture of the weapon:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebab9034b2c0.jpg[/atsimg]

Courtesy of foxnews.com

It will also help to cut down war costs as they will no longer have to use JDAMs which are around 20-50,000 dollars a piece. These grenades are only about 25 dollars a piece. LOL, it is also kind of cool too IMO, I figured some might like this new weapon here on ATS so I thought I would bring it up, goodnight all.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/28/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Oh that is really neat, the way it's camoflauged and cost effecient, well for the gov't, not me couldn't spend money on that, nor would I need to.

I'm surprised someone else goes to Foxnews.com, it's not all bad!

It would be hard to see someone with that particular colour from a distance in a concrete land. Neat.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Found this video of it in action, but unfortunately it just shows it being fired and not the target. The article states that the army only brought blanks to fire...no exploding ammunition...
sorry

XM25

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Cool, thanks for the video link. To be honest I didn't know what they were talking about when I saw the headline as it has been a good while since I have seen Judge Dredd.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'm surprised someone else goes to Foxnews.com, it's not all bad!

LOL, I go to all the news agencies, I like to really balance it out.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If the soldier doesn't need to even have the targets in their field of vision then how does the soldier know, assuming he even cares, whether there are innocent civilians there in the vicinity?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Sound a lot like the weapon Gene Simmons used in the movie Runaway.

Peace

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
If the soldier doesn't need to even have the targets in their field of vision then how does the soldier know, assuming he even cares, whether there are innocent civilians there in the vicinity?

Presumably they are targeting a sniper or an RPG crew, they would tend to run to a position and take cover then take a shot, unless a sniper is very quick they can't get them, actually probably a lot of the time the rules of engagement would not allow them to fire unless fired on, and by then they are behind a stone wall or something... And any way dropping a bomb would defiantly take out anyone in the vicinity, civilian or not.

It really just a very accurate grenade launcher. I really wanted to see homing bullets or something when I clicked the thread, very cool weapon though.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Don't think I ever saw that one.....

Is it any good?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Yea, I was thinking "homing bullets" myself, but oh well.

And yes this is a lot better civilian wise then dropping a bomb,lol.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Either way this is a lot better for civilian casualties then dropping a JDAM on the area.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

This is a interesting weapon development. It should really help give our troops the upper hand in urban combat, which is the battleground of the future.

The battleground of the future will proabbly be against you and your own children. Tell me how good that weapon is then eh?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
If its what I think it is there is a gun in the game battlefield 2142 that has a similar principal,

You spot an enemy behind a wall, tree etc you range find the distance then set the burst about 5 meters behind the target then shoot either over or to the side of the obstacle.

If the weapons works as well in RL as it does in the game then this will be a very handy weapon in urban combat

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm sure I read somewhere a while back about mating this concept with something like a Barret M107 to create what is basically a one man portable artillery piece.

Interesting concept for sure.

top topics

join