It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron in 'people power' pledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Cameron in 'people power' pledge

news.bbc.co.uk

David Cameron has pledged to bring "big change" to politics, including looking at introducing fixed-term Parliaments.

A Tory government would restore "real people power" through a "radical" redistribution of power from Westminster, he said in a speech.

But he ruled out a switch from the current first-past-the-post electoral system to proportional representation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
YAWN Really he must think we are idiots,i wasn't interested much in politics in 1997 so i wasn't aware that Labour had also proposed something similiar to this..and then when they got into power it..kinda just..fell of the face of the earth.I was actually surprised watching the news today.Nick Clegg leader of the liberal democrats was talking about this and was pretty blunt about how the main opposition parties always cry foul about too much power being acquired from the government until they are finally in power and dont want to let that power go(and usually acquire more) That was a breath of fresh air..atleast some honesty for a change.So do you think David Cameron will follow through with this when the conservatives get into power?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I doubt they will, very party usually say's this when in opposition, but when they get into power, little is done.

Labour actually wanted PR voting before 1997, but when they got in the figured their massive majority would be slashed had PR voting been used, as they only polled around 37% of the popular vote at the peak of their popularity, but they hold much more than 37% of seats.

The whole system needs reform, but until Parties are legally bound to honour manifesto pledges (like in Japan), they are unlikely to act upon them when in power.

Just look at Labour's 1995 pledge not to have top up fees for Higher education, they got that into english and Welsh law by the skin of their teeth using Scottish MP's, whilst at the same time not having top up fees in Scotland!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
At the end of the day, they need to replace almost all of our crooked politicians, and introduce new ways of allowing people into power.

Screen them, do psychological examinations.. lol, anything that helps show any potential problems for the future, that could stop them from messin' up our country any more than they already have done.

But, they wont. It makes me think, if people still talked to each other.. such as, talking to your neighbours, and the people in your community, like they used to do, it would be easier to gather people, and overthrow this corrupt shambles we call a government. We're bloody annoyed, yet, we don't know what to do. So, nothing will happen, they'll be slapped on the wrist, some other corrupt officials will come into power, and we'll moan about it some more and suffer.

Haha, truly British eh?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
When the main trait of a polotician changes from being able to avoid answering questions to putting the people first I may take the idea of democracy more seriously.

top topics

join