It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Of New Mother At Hospital Investigated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

BELLFONTAINE, Ohio — An internal investigation was under way at Mary Rutan Hospital after a woman died suddenly after giving birth, 10TV News reported on Tuesday.

A second woman, who had also just given birth, became critically ill, 10TV News reported.

According to the hospital, the women exhibited symptoms of bacterial meningitis. They were transported to Riverside Methodist Hospital in Columbus.

One of the mothers died on Friday night. The other woman remained in critical condition.

Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for more information.

www.10tv.com...

Bacterial meningitis is a serious infection of the fluid in the spinal cord and the fluid that surrounds the brain.
Bacterial meningitis is most commonly caused by one of three types of bacteria: Haemophilus influenzae type b, Neisseria meningitidis, and Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.
The bacteria are spread by direct close contact with the discharges from the nose or throat of an infected person.
Bacterial meningitis can be treated with antibiotics.
Prevention depends on use of vaccines, rapid diagnosis, and prompt treatment of close personal contacts.

Is this Haemophilus influenzae type b, the same type as the H1N1?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

no.
i believe H1N1 is type A...
there is also a vaccine for Hib that is given to infants...not surprised it is becoming a problem in hospitals...in fact i'm sure this is really only more publicized than other cases....
hospitals are a good place to get sick.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by double_frick]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Thanks. I agree with you about hospitals and doctors. I have not had a good experience yet. Makes one think twice about home-remedies, old wives tales and naturopathy. Perhaps modernization is several steps backwards.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Actually, what really bothers me here in that bacterial meningitis has a high, high fever. When you are in labor they are supposed to take your temperature every half hour to an hour...... If you are like over 100 they start to worry...you could have ruptured the amniotic sac, either fully or partially, and could have an infection causing the fever. It is somewhat common...and always monitored.

Do you smell malpractice?????

Maybe this differs as per individual hospital policy????

As someone who used to work as a doula this is at least what I have seen.....any MDs or RNs out there to confirm????

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Having spent much of 38 years coping with various botched surgeries, let me tell you that the average physician pays little or no attention to what is going on, especially if a side illness sets in meaning they are culpable. The last time I had surgery in 1991 I actually was sent home with the early signs of gangrene. That same trip, which involved several invasive procedures, I developed a bad case of ringworm near an incision site while in the hospital and the doctor ignored it, requiring a relative to treat it.

Granted, hospitals are filthy and are a natural repository of germs since sick people are present, but a lot of them are not properly cleaned to begin with. A relative of mine had surgery at a major hospital in Daytona Beach (we'll call it "Hellifax") a few years back and the "clean room" they put her in had dried blood from the previous patient. This same ward was full of RNs who allowed student nurses to do their jobs, and LPNs which is not legal in Florida since it involves injections or other invasive procedures . Someone a few rooms down from her died during a code blue and the ward nurses, who were sitting in the break room across from her door, never responsed, so they called RNs from another floor. I;ve seen many cases during hospital stays where nurses have waited very long periods to respond to calls and become combative with sick patients, they are often worse than doctors to deal with and are usually the people with whom a patient has the most contact. So you can see how some could easily die from a treatable disease in a hospital. Never mind the fact that many med schools are becoming online-based and have shortened the programs, meaning doctors are not receiving adequate training to begin with. When I was two I actually had to show an intern how to properly wrap my bandage, I kid you not, my nursing student aunt also had to help him out. Let's not even throw in the fact that a lot of foreign doctors come from countries that have lower values for human life than the US, if they can even speak proper English to begin with. And don't overlook the fact that she was a woman and medicine is a very sexist culture to begin with, they may have ignored her complaints anyway.

join