It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Vehicle Owner, You've Been Randomly Selected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
So, I received this letter in the mail last week. I feel violated. I've never driven without insurance, never had a claim on my insurance, nor had so much as a freaking ticket or moving violation. I rarely leave the house since I've been unemployed and STILL trouble finds me.

I typed out the main parts of the letter for you. What do you think? Is it a good thing? How many violators will be caught this way? Will these letters make us safer? Is the money needed to run this program being well-spent?

This is AN OFFICIAL NOTICE. Ohio Revised Code 4501.022 allows the Registrar to send this notice by regular mail.

Dear Vehicle Owner:

Under Ohio law (O.R.C. 4509.101), we are required to verify that vehicle owners maintain automobile liability insurance or other financial responsibility (FR) coverage for registered motor vehicles.

You have been randomly selected to verify that you have coverage for the vehicle listed above. We are requesting proof that you did have coverage or other financial responsibility coverage for this vehicle on the proof of insurance coverage date of this notice (listed above).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. However, obtaining proof of financial responsibility benefits all Ohio drivers by reducing the chances that you will be involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

To prove insurance or other FR coverage, please send us ONE of the following within twenty-one (21) days:

1. A copy of your automobile liability insurance identification card
2. Or, a copy of the declarations (coverage) page of your automobile liability insurance policy.
3. Or, a letter on insurance company letterhead signed by your insurance agent.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not respond to this notice, we are required by law to mail you a notice of pending suspension in approximately 30 days.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Check the legal code cited and make sure its not some kind of scam, also any address markings as to where it came from should probably be checked out as well. Also call your local DMV office and inquire about it to see if its legit, as something about this just screams scam to me.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

From Lawriter: codes.ohio.gov... ends at 4501.099 which was reapealed in 2004. No info given on 4509.101 at this site.

I thought the same thing. It does sound suspicious! The letter has the seal of ohio in the upper lefthand corner but the form itself has been copied. In the section marked Proof of Insurance Coverage Date provides my VIN, Plate # and Expiry date. So, it must be legit?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Absolutely follow Helig's advice.

In most cases, Insurers are required to notify the State when a policy lapses. Some states even have it all computerized now so you don't have to carry proof insurance in your car - because so many drivers were faking the insurance i.d. cards anyway.

However, states are trying to scrounge revenue from every possible source during these tight times...but definitely do not turn over any personal info without verifying the letter with the DMV.

On a side note, utilities may well be reviewing their accounts also in order to find money. I know a guy who got the most outrageous letter trying to collect on service from five years ago that was settled. They were counting on him not having proof and just paying up.

[edit on 26/5/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Absolutely follow Helig's advice.

I agree and will call my insurance agent to verify. You know? I just don't know what to think anymore. Is my conspiracy tracking off kilter and this notice is on the up-and-up or what?

I'll post the answer after I speak to my agent.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
For further information, individuals whose vehicles have been selected may call the Richfield office at 1-866-835-6305. For other individuals with questions concerning the program, please call the Bureau’s Columbus office at (614) 752-7700.

Please note that research of programs in other states that require proof of insurance at the time of registration reveals that many individuals obtain insurance just prior to registration and then cancel that insurance immediately. The Legislature considered many options, including utilizing the Deputy Registrars, before deciding to implement the current law.

When an individual receives a Notice Requiring Proof of Insurance, the date used for proof of coverage is prior to the mailing date of the Bureau’s Notice. A current insurance card or other current forms of proof of insurance are usually acceptable, since the chosen date is one in the recent past.

The cost of including return postage with the Request for Insurance Verification letter would exceed $100,000 per year. In considering several alternatives, the Bureau decided against this option. The Bureau does provide a self-addressed envelope for the Random Selection Program and has made every effort to minimize any expense involved in responding to the request.

bmv.ohio.gov...

It appears to be a legitimate program according to this link from The Ohio Department of Public Safety.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It only sais "required" to show proof. So what... required don't mean anything. I require sex 5 times a day, but that don't mean I'm going to get it right?
I require a message, but I'm probably not going to get one either.
I require a tuna fish sandwich, probably not going to get that either.

By the way there is no law that stats that you must register your motor vehicle. Only that if you do register your motor vehicle, then you must comply with the DMV regulations. ex: safety checks, identity plates, insurance etc...

Learn your legal rights.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I've always hated this whole "prove to lord government you are not a criminal" crap. It pops up more and more and nobody seems to mind.

I thought we were all innocent until lord government proved we were guilty? Not that they have to prove anything since they have all the guns and prisons and educate the children.

Anyway, just makes me glad to live in a state where insurance isnt mandatory. One less thing they can leverage against the common resident who just wants to be left the hell alone.

Edited my code.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BugByte
By the way there is no law that stats that you must register your motor vehicle. Only that if you do register your motor vehicle, then you must comply with the DMV regulations. ex: safety checks, identity plates, insurance etc...

Learn your legal rights.

I once bought a used car and thought the dealership would take care of all the paperwork. Six months later I was pulled over because my plates weren't registered. The officer let me off with a warning and 24 hours to get them registered legally.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I've always hated this whole "prove to lord government you are not a criminal" crap. It pops up more and more and nobody seems to mind.

I thought we were all innocent until lord government proved we were guilty? Not that they have to prove anything since they have all the guns and prisons and educate the children.

Anyway, just makes me glad to live in a state where insurance isnt mandatory. One less thing they can leverage against the common resident who just wants to be left the hell alone.

Edited my code.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

That is exactly how I feel. Thank you for putting it so clearly. I'm a law abiding citizen, mostly
. I guess when the state's funding is low, the only option to catch us criminals is through the US Mail?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yes, call and verify that it is legit, but I would not call the number on the paper as IF it is a scam that number will do you no good. I would call the state directly and if they redirect to that number then fine.

If they do redirect you that number and whole thing proves legit that is horrible, first the "seat belt checkpoints" (that irrate me to no end) and now you have to mail in proof of insurance randomly? The funny thing is, most people that do operate illegal vehicles aren't registered with the state anyway, so random checks will not catch the people they want to catch. I've known people that have not registered their cars after the initial time, let it lapse and that's it. They go to court when they get pulled over and as long as everything is in order by that time the judge let's it go, typically. I have had fake FBI, IRS, and whatever else letters come to my house and I always call the agency directly to inquire, for me they have always proved phoney.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I got one of these like 4 years ago, in Ohio. As they says randomly selected my @#$. I got this 2 weeks after I had a 7 day lapse with my policy. I lost my license for 120 days and had to pay $125 to be re-instated. Then for the next 2 years I was required to maintain insurance or face some stiffer penalties. I have some friends whom had several vehicles(car motorcycle) that got popped with this for not maintaining insurance on a vehicle whether they were driving it or not (motorcycle parked for the winter) they lost their license the same as i did.

I would have to agree that this is a money grab, and a big hassle. Why not require one to show proof of insurance when obtaining a registration? The answer is if they did that then they wouldn't issue nearly as many citations, nor would the DMV receive the extra funds from fines.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by badmatty

That stinks. Thank goodness I have insurance. But if I didn't I would still feel insulted and violated and pissed. Are they trying to make us all criminals? Jeesh. I don't do things that will get me in trouble because my own life history has proven that I will be the 1 in a million to get caught!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Even the police don't know the laws in which they are supposed to enforce. They know the Traffic Act that's it.

Have you ever been pulled over for anything and the cop tries to tell you that you just broke the law? the only way to truly brake the law is to cause bodily harm to someone or damage to property or commit to fraud.

If a cop pulls you over for speeding and tell you that you just broke the law by speeding.... the cop just commit fraud by means of gross negligence.

An ACT is not Law, and a Statute isn't a law either, neither are Regulations a law. there is only one law, it's called the Constitution.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by BugByte]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

In Florida, you have to prove that you have insurance before you can register a vehicle. I'm assuming that you have to do that in Ohio. Because of that, I must say that this smells really fishy.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
First of all, CLICK HERE for awesome information on this

.It is a real letter and they will suspend your license if you ignore it.

Scroll down to Question #23
www.bmv.ohio.gov...

If you have any questions you can call the department that sent you the letter at 1-866-835-6305

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Tiloke]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Insurance companies can get any law they want passed. If a law they want passed that brings them more money is not passed, they will raise or take away the insurance of law enforcement and individuals who have a say in the matter. They have way too much control over our goverment.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Innocent until proven guilty friends. Simple as that. You CANNOT, by constitutional law, be asked to prove that you are innocent unless faced with criminal charges and given the ability to trial. Even then, the burden of proof is on the accuser.

This is not legal. Period.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Innocent until proven guilty friends. Simple as that. You CANNOT, by constitutional law, be asked to prove that you are innocent unless faced with criminal charges and given the ability to trial. Even then, the burden of proof is on the accuser.

If I refuse to comply with the request, in 30 days I'll receive a notice of suspension of my driver's license.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

If I refuse to comply with the request, in 30 days I'll receive a notice of suspension of my driver's license.

If you accept it, yes you will.

The thing is, laws like this(or whatever you want to call them) can only be effective if the citizens lay down and take it. You have to make your voice heard. You have to challenge it.

Otherwise, yes, you play by their rules, and you don't get to pass go.

It comes down to a choice that each of us has to make: Do I go silently into the night obeying rules that I KNOW to be wrong and illegal, or do I put myself out there, may a big stink about it, and pave the way for others?

Unfortunately, most choose choice A.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join