It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garden Humor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
My tomato, basil, cilantro and pepper bed. We discovered that adding personal touches to our garden livens up the neighborhood and brings laughter.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9745275a79f2.jpg[/atsimg]

My husband had been holding on to the head and footboards of an old bed that once belonged to his Grandmother. Over the weekend, we were cleaning out the garage and those bedframes became the focus once again. They are special mementos to him and we were trying to figure out what to do with them. I suggested using them in our garden so that he would not have to part with them and they would once again serve a purpose, just not the one they were intended.

Once they were attached to the existing raised bed, we both laughed at the silliness and humor of it all. So we solved a problem and brought unexpected laughter to the neighborhood.

Lets share your garden humor and ideas...

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Good one Hazelnut! Old boats can be used this way as well.

I'm very jealous....... in your photo, you have something very rare (at least rare here)............. SOIL! Real, diggable, rich SOIL!

Of course, you probably don't have free coconut fluff, which apparently has a plant growth hormone, nor free seaweed meal. I sure do miss not being able to dig without a six-foot prybar, though.

Good on you for your gardening!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Good one Hazelnut! Old boats can be used this way as well.

I'm very jealous....... in your photo, you have something very rare (at least rare here)............. SOIL! Real, diggable, rich SOIL!

Of course, you probably don't have free coconut fluff, which apparently has a plant growth hormone, nor free seaweed meal. I sure do miss not being able to dig without a six-foot prybar, though.

Good on you for your gardening!

LOL! That's funny Argentus! We have clay and rock instead of soil in our yard. My husband was kind enough to build the raised beds for me last year. We imported 3 cu. yards of garden soil to fill 2 beds. This past weekend he built a retaining wall (sort of) in front of the pine trees at the back of the yard. We filled them with $1.00 bags of topsoil from Home Depot. We spent $25 bucks and some hard labor carrying bags of mud!

I love your idea of the boat too! One of our neighbors is thinking about using a toilet as a flower container in his front yard since "The Association" won't allow a flagpole.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I got a close up so you can see better. I'm hoping some of you have even more interesting stories or pictures to share. We all need something to laugh about these days.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
LMAO what an excellent idea. Love it!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have an old wheelbarrow in my garage I have been planning to turn into a plant carrier. All I have to do is make a few holes in the bottom!

Your story has made me decide I want to do it!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Great idea with the bed frame. We have the kids crib still ( they are 14 and 20) the husband wants to toss it.. wonder what he would think of your idea.. it isn't just humorous but ingenious.

I have used an old wooden ladder laid flat to add interest and planted creeping plants in between the rungs. I have needed some inspiration to get back into the yard. Thanks.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Make sure you take some pictures to post Tentickles! I'd love to see how that turns out and I'll bet your neighbors "borrow" the idea before long! Happy planting.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker
Great idea with the bed frame. We have the kids crib still ( they are 14 and 20) the husband wants to toss it.. wonder what he would think of your idea.. it isn't just humorous but ingenious.

I have used an old wooden ladder laid flat to add interest and planted creeping plants in between the rungs. I have needed some inspiration to get back into the yard. Thanks.

LOL...I can just picture it, your baby crib all filled up with veggies and flowers. The side rails should help too if you decide to put some chicken coop wire around to prevent squirrels and bunnies from ruining everything.

Let the great ideas roll!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Never thought about the rabbits and we do have quite a few. Not sure if I would use the whole bed, but maybe parts of it. Let an ivy grow over some of it.

If I get to it I will post a picture.

I have an old chair with a cane seat that is ripped maybe that could be used as well, a whole room of furniture in my yard... neighbors would love that.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I saw your veggie 'bed' in another thread.......it is a fun idea, and a good way to get kids interested in gardening as well!

I wouldn't quite be able to bring myself to put Grandma's old bed out in the elements, tho........and my Mother would probably come back to haunt me over it, if I did! LOL!

I have seen some other interesting uses of old mantle pieces, window frames and such in the garden......gives it a bit of the 'Alice in wonderland' effect.

my father-in-law had one of the old toilets filled with vines and succulents.....he loved it, my M-I-L not so much....he had 'installed' it in the back yard when she wasn't looking!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Hazelnut that is one smart idea that you have there, got any more? I like how rediculous it first looks to be, and then how sane it really is, its really a smart idea. Bed gardens will never be the same.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
reply to post by Hazelnut

I like how rediculous it first looks to be, and then how sane it really is, its really a smart idea. Bed gardens will never be the same.

Funny! Thats exactly what I thought too. It is ridiculous but somehow it works anyway. I just love that kind of subtle humor with a delayed impact.

I was thinking of putting in some kind of bowl and pitcher arrangement that acts as a fountain next to the bed. But then again, less is more.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

I understand what you mean. My husband was hesitant at first too, thinking maybe she would not approve. I told him that if it were my grandma, she'd be laughing and chuckling from the other side. At least I hope so.

Being creative is lots of fun. And any reason to laugh is a good one, especially when you can share it.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is a house we drive by quite often that has taken lawn decoration to a different level. I almost swerved off the road the first time I saw it... kinda creepy but interesting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c88d7a41346e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/505c18c6c7bc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

WOW!!!!!!!!

Blogstalker that is crazy looking. But I like it. What are those people made out of..... marble? cement? What?

I like the idea, it looks like a bunch of people out in the yard, which kind of makes it inviting looking.

They aren't made out of papercrete are they? Because I think that would be a good way to make those people statutes. There is currently a good thread on papercrete at...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

both threads are very interesting.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Oh I love the *garden bed* hehehe

Thanks for making this thread, now I can share one of my favorite pastimes.

Taking pics of my veggies.

I so love my garden (and depend on it), and sometimes a bunch of something that grows is just so beautiful I have to snap a pic...
Then kick back and have lunch!
Yum!

Thanks for the great thread!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0fc1686f1a99.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Silo13 WOW!!!!!

That photo that you took of your vegetable is ablsolutely shockingly beautiful. You must be a professional photographer. The pitch black contrasting background of your photo really brings the beauty of your vegetable out into the open.

The question is.... what vegie is that? Is that cauliflower or a cabbage, or what? Are you an Italian? IF you are, then we need to send some seeds to each other, because I'm pretty sure we don't have those kind of plants here in the USA.

This may be getting a little off from the original thread, but I'm sure others here on this thread would want to know what I'm going to ask, and that is... tell us the names of the vegetables that you grow over there in Italy; that is if you would please. I'm very interested in such stuff also; and don't forget to post more of your photos because they are fabulous.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Thanks

No, I'm not a professional photographer - I just play one on ATS.

The veggie is real - the color is real - all I did with Adobe Photoshop was stick in the black backdrop and do some lighting, but the color is true and real with no color filter or hue mixing.

The veggie is a *cavolfiore* (cauliflower) and this kind - the red kind - *cavolo-rosso*.

I usually grow these from little starters (I don't remember the name of the fingerling plants)...

Let me look into seeds tomorrow.

I just love this thread! I’m so glad it’s started!
Thank you again Hazelnut!

Blogstalker - what are those statues???

peace

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Silo13 did you realize that about a year or so ago a man used to be on ATS and he started his own thread and he posted his own photos almost daily, I used to go and look to see what he photographed because his photos were very nice to look at, but somewhere along the line he quit posting his photos, but they were extremely pleasant scenes of nature.

The only thing about posting your photos on ATS Silo13 is they become the property of ATS. IF you linked ATS to your photos then your photos would still be your legal property, but once you post them on here, they become the legal property of ATS; just thought I would remind you, just so you wouldn't make some kind of mistake that you would regret later; because I love your photo but I don't want you to loose legal rights to your photos, especially since ATS would probably be using those photos in the future in one of their books or T-shirts or something else in order to make money off of them, because they are very nice.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by RussianScientists]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join