It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. detention tests scope of antiterror law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Two Cases of American citizens being that have been held in custody for the past two years without charges, and access to lawyers are being examined by several Supreme Court Justices. Putting into question the Bush's administration's authority to put American citizens labled as "enemy combatants" in prison and strip them of their rights.

The two cases, which the court heard back-to-back yesterday, are of Yaser Esam Hamdi, who was seized in Afghanistan, and Jose Padilla, who was arrested at an airport in Chicago. Both are American citizens who have been held for more than two years without charges and, until recently, had been denied access to lawyers.

Hamdi's lawyer, Frank W. Dunham Jr., told the court: "We have never authorized detention of a citizen in this country without giving him an opportunity to be heard, to say, 'Hey, I am an innocent person.' "

But some justices seemed to accept the notion that the president is broadly empowered to protect the country against terrorism. They appeared open to the government's argument that courtrooms cannot be set up on battlefields to weigh the rights of suspected terrorists.

"It has been well established and long established that the government has the authority to hold both unlawful enemy combatants and lawful prisoners of war captured on the battlefield," said Paul D. Clement, the deputy solicitor general. "No principle of the law or logic requires the United States to release an individual from detention so that he can rejoin the battle."

U.S. detention tests scope of antiterror law

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This gets to me in a bad way. It really reminds me of when all the farmers in NE Wyoming were killing every single wolf, coyote, fox, and wild cat they saw because they had one or two sheep or cattle missing. Same thing happened in NZ, and the poor animal became extinct!!!! Now Bush is doing this same tactic with the world... if you look like a terrorist, and you don't totally agree with the US Gov, they say that you are a "possible" terrorist and lock you up for doing nothing but expressing your opinion.

Don't be suprized if alot of ATS members start disappearing in the next year and a half... alot of us think that the US Gov has become too powerful and are DEFINITLY NOT "for the people", and something needs to be done about it... but I guess the "doers" are gonna be "done for". I guess we'll see.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscumall the farmers in NE Wyoming were killing every single wolf, coyote, fox, and wild cat they saw because they had one or two sheep or cattle missing. Same thing happened in NZ, and the poor animal became extinct!!!!

Yeah, that's exactly what they are aiming to achieve in this situation.

new topics

join