It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travelling at higher speed, using time travelling.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Discussing the concept of time travelling, ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ) I realized something very weird.
Since time travelling is reality, and it can only be done into the future and not into the past, it could be used to explore space beyond the limits that we have now.

If you fly so fast, that your time advance slows down to half of the "normal time advance" it would mean you could fly in your spaceship for 5 days, reaching places that were 10 days away.

This comes down to "higher speed" even though it's not really higher speed, it's just the perception of the pilot of the spaceship.
The time for the pilot advances slower, for the pilot the world around him advances faster, leading to what seems to be a much higher speed.

Example:

- Pilot flies around earth in his spaceship, going 5000 MPH.
- 5000 MPH is to earths standards, the speed that the spaceship goes according to our time.
- The pilots "time advance" drops to 50% of the speed of time on earth, meaning he experiences an "earth hour" as 30 minutes.
- The speed does not change, just the timeflow for the object moving fast, making the spaceship go 10000 MPH instead of 5000 MPH, according to the perception of the object that moves fast.

The faster you go, the slower the time advance, the faster you go for your own perception.
I never read anything about this, but it seems pretty logical if you think about it.
What do y'all think?

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
Discussing the concept of time travelling, ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ) I realized something very weird.
Since time travelling is reality, and it can only be done into the future and not into the past, it could be used to explore space beyond the limits that we have now.

If you fly so fast, that your time advance slows down to half of the "normal time advance" it would mean you could fly in your spaceship for 5 days, reaching places that were 10 days away.

This comes down to "higher speed" even though it's not really higher speed, it's just the perception of the pilot of the spaceship.
The time for the pilot advances slower, for the pilot the world around him advances faster, leading to what seems to be a much higher speed.

Example:

- 5000 MPH is to earths standards, the speed that the spaceship goes according to our time.
- The pilots "time advance" drops to 50% of the speed of time on earth, meaning he experiences an "earth hour" as 30 minutes.
- The speed does not change, just the timeflow for the object moving fast, making the spaceship go 10000 MPH instead of 5000 MPH, according to the perception of the object that moves fast.

The faster you go, the slower the time advance, the faster you go for your own perception.
I never read anything about this, but it seems pretty logical if you think about it.
What do y'all think?

Time travelling is not reality. I think you are referring to time dilation in relativity. In other words, you could travel at a high rate of speed according to theory, and come back to visit your twin brother...who will be younger. This gives the illusion of time travel I guess if you don't look at it too hard.

In reality....you just expereinced time at a different rate. In relativity, physics stays the same relative to the observer. At a high rate of speed, relative to you, time did not change. You traveled in your time at your rate. Not ever realizing something was wrong. The same goes for your brother.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

Originally posted by Jakko

Example:

What do y'all think?

Time travelling is not reality. I think you are referring to time dilation in relativity. In other words, you could travel at a high rate of speed according to theory, and come back to visit your twin brother...who will be younger. This gives the illusion of time travel I guess if you don't look at it too hard.

In reality....you just expereinced time at a different rate. In relativity, physics stays the same relative to the observer. At a high rate of speed, relative to you, time did not change. You traveled in your time at your rate. Not ever realizing something was wrong. The same goes for your brother.

I know, and that's why time travelling is reality.
You go into a spaceship, fly around the moon 8 times, go back to earth and notice that you have "skipped" time.
Why would this not be time travelling?
Because the earths "time speed" is the right one?
No, there is no right time speed, it's just different.
Being in a different timespeed then the world around you, is about the defenition of time travelling.

By the way, your twin brother would be older than you if you would come back, not younger.

And this is not "in theory".
This is proven in an experiment using F-16 planes and atomn clocks.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by Jakko]

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It is time travelling in the sense that you travel through time then, just as you travel through time now.

As far as skipping time, there is no skipping involved. You would experience time exactly as you do now. Your brother would expereince time exactly as he does now. The only thing is that you two are different reference frames. And you only can experience time relative to yourself.

Time travelling is what we do every day, as we travel through time. If you study relativity, you will see that no time is lost. No time is skipped. The only reality is that two different reference frames can not experience the same time...ever. At high acceleration...this becomes more apparent.

If you want to call it time travelling, I guess thats acceptable. I am only stating these things because I do not feel as if you fully understand the theories or the concepts behind them.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Time dialation would not make a trip faster.

If another solar system in 20 light years away, and you travel there at half the speed of light it will take you 40 years to get there.

The only difference is that MORE than 40 years has passed back on earth as well as at your destination.

This could be a bad thing when it come to planning trips to other stars.

Lets say mankind discovers an intelligent alien culture on a planet 50 light year away. We spot them with a radio and photo telescope and determine them to be in an early industrial stage of development.

Ok, well since it took that info 50 years to get to earth, we are allready 50 years behind.

But we descide to fire up our ship that travels half the speed of light and go for a visit anyways.

Well the 100 years in the ship is actually 150 years on earth and the destination planet.

Oh no! We left just after discovering the planet but now when we get there it is 200 years down the line! So by the time we get there, they could be more advanced than us, even though we spotted them in an industrial age.

Between the speed of information limited to the speed of light, and traveling fast causing further loss of time. We are limited to only seeing the past and exploring the unknown.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
I am only stating these things because I do not feel as if you fully understand the theories or the concepts behind them.

And to add to that.... A trip to the moon is such small time dialation it doesn't effect much.

Even at 50,000 MPH you'd need atomic clocks to even tell.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The experiment that you referenced regarding the atomic clocks did take place. The conclusions supported relativity. They were off enough to ensure the "theory" status though. It is hard for us to measure things like speed and such at such high precision.

They have just recently launched for of the most accurately developed gyroscopes ever made to test this theory in more accurate settings. Hopefully they get a definite answer. I am freeking curious!

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Can you silly buggers please stop quoting the post immediately above your own!

In other news, locked this thread, please keep this to the original thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by Kano]

top topics

join