It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deja Vu...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Can someone explain to me wat Deja Vu is... and why does it occur?

I often have very vivid and long ones...

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I believe deja vu is segments of previous dreams you've had but live them out for breif periods of time.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Does anyone else care to comment?

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
ok, it is the FEELING that you are doing an exact repition of something done previously
It can be dreams, something you do on a rather regular basis, but forgot you did, or it could be like the black cat in the matrix--just #ed up

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hmm deja vu, personnally I dont know what it is, but I know I used to get it alot, maybe its a physic trait that every person has, that allows them to view a situration before it happens, or during it.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This link should explain what you need to know,

linky

Insert from the site

The term d�j� vu is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all. Say, for example, you are traveling to England for the first time. You are touring a cathedral, and suddenly it seems as if you have been in that very spot before. Or maybe you are having dinner with a group of friends, discussing some current political topic, and you have the feeling that you've already experienced this very thing -- same friends, same dinner, same topic.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
After reading that it makes me think that maybe our mind when it remembers something, it doesnt remember it as the exact situration, but instead some other way, which allows for smaller storage and easy application to other siturations :S Though deja vu could always still be linked with the psycic part of our mind

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
nah I don't believe deja vu is from dreams or something done previously.

There are situations in which i've never been exposed to that I have experienced deja vu in. It's just strange to say the least.... I do believe it has something to do with the abilities of all of us, just peeking out.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Just thought i'd share the opinion of a friend who is a psychiatrist, as I once asked him his thoughts on Deja-Vu. He explained it to me as an electrical impulse misfire in our brain. Actually he used the term hiccup to dumb it down for me. He said he believes our brain "hiccups" and makes our current situation feel already played out in our brain. Thats the science excuse. Personally when I have deja-vu, I realize I am experiencing something I had already dreamed, similar to the theory given earlier.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I think the science look out upon it is somewhat something that is a little to basic to cover something like this. The idea about the hiccups in the brain neuron pulses, could again be evidence that our brain is so much more capiable of what it does presently, and it trying to wake its self up.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
What if deja vu has to do with another reality... Like for instance, in another dimension of time that is oh say a few seconds behind our own something happens. Then as the dimension merges with ours the same evernt happens and our mind thinks it has already happened because of the merger with our other self (or whatever you would like to call it). I also agree with racos reply about our brain trying to wake itself up.

Mitch

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomorrowNeverCame
What if deja vu has to do with another reality... Like for instance, in another dimension of time that is oh say a few seconds behind our own something happens. Then as the dimension merges with ours the same evernt happens and our mind thinks it has already happened because of the merger with our other self (or whatever you would like to call it). I also agree with racos reply about our brain trying to wake itself up.

Mitch

Precisely. Right on! Our "self" is not just what we consciously see. There is more to us than meets the eye. I would even add, when someone is to change "the past" (from our perspective it's the past anyway), they could create a separate reality where something happens the way they want it to happen, instead of how it happens in THIS reality, and then merge these realities. Sort of like, when you work on an application on your computer, sometimes it creates a RAM copy of the work, which exists but is not saved to your hard drive yet. Then when you finish the work, you merge this new modification with the old, and overwrite the other one. Then say you change your mind and "UNDO" the work. At this point, if your program was hyperdimentional in nature, and conscious, it may experience de ja vu. It would see the current result of your "undoing", but on some level would remember that before you UNDID this, and before you DID the work in the first place, it used to be what it now IS, after you pressed UNDO.

But that's just a possibility, thought it may be interesting to explore the implications of this, through theoretical physics perhaps.

[edit on 11-7-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
We also talked about this in my psych class. Kinda like the "hiccup" thing, I think. Let me explain...

Everything you experience in your life, during every day, is relayed to your brain through a process called transduction. Your brain processes it, and it is "stored" as a memory. This memory then becomes either a short term memory (lasts for about 15 seconds) or a long term memory. When we remember somehing, we then have to "retrieve" it from our brain. This process takes time, albeit fractions of a second, but it is this delay that allows us to differenciate between a memory and something that is happening at that exact time. Now...

Imagine if that entire process is sped up for some reason. The delay is no longer there, or, I should say, much shorter than it origionaly was. The brain cannot tell the difference now, and the memory seems to be occuring at the "same time" you are experiencing it. This is why you cannot change your deja vu as you feel it. This may also explain when people "see beyond" while driving a car, or playing a sport. That delay in processing is much shorter, thus speeding up your reaction time, and giving you the sensation that you have already experienced the place or event. That is why you get the deja vu feeling while, and not before, a place or event.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Its a vision of your future, seen in dreams. Notice the memory is always seen from the perspective of your own eyes. What's probably happened during deep delta sleep or beyond is a link between your mind of now and your mind of the future. This is on an electrical level and probably quantum in nature. As your brains electrical signature cycles over time while sleeping there is a small chance it will match an exact signature of itself in its future, and thus allow it to see and remember what is going on in that time. And it only lasts briefly in most cases before the sync is broken sometime during sleep, either by waking or the brain just simply flipping through more channels while sleeping. Since your brain is like itself in its future it is more likely to be able to match channels, which is why you don't have deja vu of other peoples experiences.

Think of it like the network technology of Bluetooth, where Bluetooth devices scan a for say 10,000 different frequencies and process the queries on each of the different frequencies. Since the tasks are separated by frequency, they won't conflict with one another. Basically any wireless technology is the same. But instead of your brain being networked to many instances of itself over space, its networked through time. Same mind, different time. The trouble is making it work for you. Such as say, contacting your mind of the future while your future self is watching the lottery numbers come up on TV.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
One consideration is that if a person were to live their life over at some point as them selves it could be moments of significance or overlap. Or, if one ooks to a future moment at some point then at THAT moment in the future looks back, maybe as they first looked ahead, they caught some of their own energy from the yet to be.

Deja Vu, that's a glitch in the Matrix. It usually means that they changed something.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I really feel like I've already read this thread before. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Someone once told me that deju vu is when the brain slows down for a brief period in time - related to that.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have this feeling many times. It is fascinating that I am thinking about things that never happened before, and it happens in front of my eyes. Usually when it happens, it strikes me a bit, because it is not an everyday thing to occur. Why it happens? I don't know. Could be a dream or so, but why could I relocate my fully exact dream in the reality?

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Basically, I think of everything in a literary sense, so de ja vu is basically a motif. A motif is a reoccuring symbol that somehow contributes to a theme. De ja vu is just a fancy way to say motif for reality. Basically, something happens and you know its happened before, the exact same event, and this is where alot of people stop. They don't try to figure out what its supposed to mean. Maybe that event is a foreshadowing, and the de ja vu is their mind's way to say "Remember this! It's important later!" Also, I think God has a great sense of humor, and tries to freak us out sometimes.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Nope, I disagree... If I dream something with exact detail, and I remember that day, the next day it comes true... that is not motif. Perhaps, one day you will see it too.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've very glad I stumbled across this topic because I've always been in love with paranormal things but have never felt that I've had anything special except for Deja Vu. I often experience things that make me say what the hell I've seen or done this before and the only seem to come at very specific points in time at first when I was younger I played it off to me just being young my parents often said I didn't know what I was talking about becuse I would be doing something get hit with deja vu,comment on me thinking this had happened to me before and said something and they said that I had never done things before. As I got older I got much more aware of this and my dreams especially since focussing on paranormal and reading about it now I get very specific points in time when I feel like I've been there before sometimes just looking into the sky or talking to someone about something however just this past weekend I had one of the most vivid ones I had never been to this certain music festival before and it was all new to me I was at my campsite and my friend was beside me and just at the point where I looked up inbetween two tents and looked at the stage I got hit big time and it lasted for several seconds me being sure I had seen this and everything around me was the same exactly how it should have been, very weird then things went back to normal. I was very weird and i've been trying to focus more attention on this I think i am going to turn to writing down my dreams.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join