It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first battery fuelled by air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

World's first battery fuelled by air

www.telegraph.co.uk

The world's first battery fuelled by air - with 10 times the storage capacity of conventional cells - has been unveiled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Scientists say the revolutionary 'STAIR' (St Andrews Air) battery could now pave the way for a new generation of electric cars, laptops and mobile phones.

The cells are charged in a traditional way but as power is used or 'discharged' an open mesh section of battery draws in oxygen from the surrounding air.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not quite free energy, but we're getting closer!!!!!! If only those pescy aliens would give us the tech!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Use External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by Hal9000]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Diagram to show how the battery works:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Awesome! This opens the door to a lot of potential. I always like hearing news like this!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
wow nice find
would love one of these in my laptop
Just goes to show how many options are out.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
lets hope this invention/patent isn't bought up by the battery-makers of the world and kept "for further research". I remember that happening to innovative electric car battery. AC Delco bought the design and never introduced it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
thats really sweet. thanks for finding that.

i so surprised the article didnt read, "but before it actually has any real power gains a lot more testing will be needed, so guess we are still stuck with the old crap"

haha im so happy now that we are getting closer to limitless energy. hook these puppies up to some solar panels and run around for days on a charge.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
We have come along way since when i was a kid putting 4 AA battery's into my giant game boy so it would work for like 3 hours
... Its great news thought, battery technology is one of the only things holding us back from some truly amazing commercially viable technology.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jman1a

We have come a long way indeed! I remember my first Sony Walkman taking 4 AAs and lasting a nano second before the tape sounded like it was playing backwards!!!!!

However, I think the chances of this sort of technology being mass produced are limited. TPTB will ensure that anything even slightly viable as alternative energy sources are supressed for as long as possible.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
You know I had this exact idea! Actually I have it written down (along with all my other ideas) in my idea notebook of doom. I actually have some pretty cool stuff in there.

I wonder what else I have in there that I will never actually create that could possibly change the world. (if even a small portion actually work then this would happen)

Too bad I'll never actually put any of them into physical form. It's pretty amazing some of the ideas people have that never get put into use. Some of them would have changed the way we do things if put into production at the exact right time in history.

Shame really.

Does anyone else have a notebook like mine with all sorts of scientific gizmos and gadgets and hypothesis about the forces that drive the universe?

If you don't you should WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Looks like somebody already has a car that does the same.

CARS THAT RUN ON AIR ! ? COMING NEXT YEAR

An engineer has promised that within a year he will start selling a car that runs on compressed air, producing no emissions at all in town.

The OneCAT will be a five-seater with a glass fibre body, weighing just 350kg and could cost just over £2,500.

It will be driven by compressed air stored in carbon-fibre tanks built into the chassis.

The tanks can be filled with air from a compressor in just three minutes - much quicker than a battery car.

Alternatively, it can be plugged into the mains for four hours and an on-board compressor will do the job.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Okay..... so what happens to the Oxygen when used to bring energy to the battery???????

They seemed to have left that part out, hmmmm..........

Anyway, aside that, if this thing doesn't produce any pollutants, I'd say, this is far better than the *other* things that run on compressed air

Compressed air fueled engines are a scam! You need electricity or motive force to compress air.... Most electricity still comes from fossil fuels. I'm glad this one is not, until proven otherwise!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question as I am not frmo a scientific background, there is more information on this site from which I got the diagram.

www.scientificblogging.com...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101
reply to post by ahnggk

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question as I am not frmo a scientific background, there is more information on this site from which I got the diagram.

www.scientificblogging.com...

Thanks! Well this could be nice for cars or even robots too.

The reason I ask is I'm a bit worried or at least you will will have to replace a component of the batter every now and then, like the porous carbon...

The Oxygen has to go somewhere and somehow be changed as part of the reaction process... Oxygen in and Ozone out.... And I hope that is not the case as ozone is toxic.. Not even Oxygen ion as that can trigger sparks and damage sensitive electronics

The article or the inventors themselves left that part out, when they shouldn't if they want to assure that their product is non toxic, safe and doesn't pollute the environment...

[edit on 22-5-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

OK, I understand where you are coming from now!!

I would have thought they would have taken this into consideration. It wouldnt be much of a story if the worlds first air fueled battery had been designed, but unfortunately when used emitted toxic by-products!

That said, it wouldnt be the first miracle invention that turned out to be not so miraculous!

new topics

top topics

join