It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Irish Catholic priests 'to be implicated in child abuse report'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Hundreds of Irish Catholic priests 'to be implicated in child abuse report'

w ww.telegraph.co.uk

Hundreds of Catholic priests are expected to be implicated in alleged child abuse in Ireland in a major report released today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse has spent nine years looking into allegations from thousands of former pupils of state schools and orphanages, some which date back more than 60 years.

It is due on Wednesday while a second report looking into how sex abuse complaints were handled by the Catholic Church will be published by the commission in the summer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume some of these are still serving? You would have thought the Catholic Church would have got a handle on this years ago. I cant believe the extent to which this abuse has been going on and for so long.

w ww.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
i now understand why the IRA wants to `unite` ireland

more young and tender `flock` for these priests.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Pretty much a duploicate subject from a month ago -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As the report is released today, I was posting this more as a prelude to the findings.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
About effing time n'all. These "priests" have been abusing children for freaking years. They've been protected for freakin years aswell. This SICKNESS must end here and now. The poor kids that have the rest of their lives to try and forget the abuse they've suffered. I can only imagine what they've been through. And i don't really want to do that!!

Under the law of God (and I'm not religious, before you bash me) I truly hope that this can stop. And for good!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Yeah, i bet a lot of them are still serving. This is nothing less than ritualistic child abuse encouraged in it's covering up by what is meant to be a trusted and godly institution. Godly. Yeah right.

It's always made me wonder, do child abusers seek out to join the catholic church? Or does the catholic church perhaps encourage child abuse? When it's so rife within an organisation it would make you think they might be encouraging it.

May their God smite them down to the pits of hell.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu
Or does the catholic church perhaps encourage child abuse? When it's so rife within an organisation it would make you think they might be encouraging it.

I think they seek it out.

There is a reason WHY so many people in "power" are those types of people, corrupt etc.

These kind of people have more of an urge to seek these postitions of power than the average nice guy, they love being in power because of their big ego etc.

It's a shame so many of these kind of people get into politics, priests etc. Instead of all the nice people we have in our world.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Absolutely sickening. I do not wish for anyone to experience such abuse, not even the priests them selves, but i hope they get exactly what they deserve; the attention of everyone around them to see their deeds, and not least; for them selves to see the consequences they have on these children...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Strange.... when the Branch Davidians of Waco, Texas were accused of "child abuse"..... the Feds burned their compound to the ground killing women, children, the dogs and cats, etc. When will the Feds start burning Catholic Churches when these allegations of "child abuse" have been proven to be true?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
"Hey, Preacher! Leave those kids alone!"

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
There are two threads about this article. I pasted my comment from the other here.

The bulk of the article, including the stats they provided, had nothing to do with sexual abuse, it was emotional and physical. To me it reads like they added the phrase sexual abuse to grab peoples attention. Were Catholic schools oppressive, yes and that is why many students went there. I knew quite a few parents that sent their children (in the US) for this purpose, to correct behavioral issues. I know the school I went to used corpral punishment until at least 1990, after that I don't remember anyone receiving a slap or a ruler, but I can't remember if it was a legal issue or not. I went to Catholic school and I never was hit, I behaved myself, sure if you didn't move quickly enough you might get your ear pulled, but in my case it wasn't it wasn't an issue.

Yes, it is a shame on the church for covering up the sexual abuse that did occur, but at least here, there has been an over reporting by people that were simply hoping to collect money off of a false story. If you look at the stats of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church vs. other religions or sects it isn't any higher, it just seems to be more interesting.

www.reformation.com...
This site is dedicated to reporting sexual crimes of children by various Christian denominations, it is not a problem inherent to Catholics.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is disgusting. To be in such a position and be such a bastard. I can't see how the church can turn their back to stories like this. Unless they are indeed in on it... which is more than likely to be honest giving all the previous cases.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Irish church knew abuse 'endemic'

news.bbc.co.uk...

An inquiry into child abuse at Catholic institutions in Ireland has found church leaders knew that sexual abuse was "endemic" in boys' institutions.

It also found physical and emotional abuse and neglect were features of institutions.

Schools were run "in a severe, regimented manner that imposed unreasonable and oppressive discipline on children and even on staff".

(See Link for article)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
" Its findings will not be used for criminal prosecutions "
WHAT!!!

Why in the world don't these pervs get thrown under the jail??
Why is this stuff allowed by the 'church'? I read time and again how they cover up and transfer the 'animals doing this' which makes them worse in my opinion.
How come they get away with this over and over???
Please someone tell me how catholics are above the law?
I Do Know that one day they will meet their Maker and He WILL Deal with all involved appropriately.
Too bad they have to wait for death to get Punished but the Bible is Clear about hurting children.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I read this earlier - couldn’t bring myself to post it.
The subject ties me up in knots.
Especially when the Church is involved.
I can’t even imagine - I just can’t...

I hope the Church has to pay huge amounts in restitution.

It wont take away the pain but it will help ease the living - and the Church can pay for it.

Did you know if you started counting now, and you counted straight for 16 thousand years - you’d still be way off the total worth of the Catholic Church? (It takes that long to count to a trillion and the C.Church is worth well into the trillions, hundreds of trillions if not more right?)

Yeah stick it to them - they can afford it.

peace

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
you do realize they delayed this report for 9yrs so they had time for all the perverts involved to either die or retire from the church....alot of the perverts where sent to other countrys like africa...i wonder how many more children where abused there....

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Yes, it is a shame on the church for covering up the sexual abuse that did occur, but at least here, there has been an over reporting by people that were simply hoping to collect money off of a false story. If you look at the stats of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church vs. other religions or sects it isn't any higher, it just seems to be more interesting.

Typical apologist nonsense. Blind defenders of this misanthropic, misogynistic and archaic excuse for a religion frequently make claims the abuse by Catholic priests is on par with other forms of religion. I say bunk. As if ANY abuse should be tolerated.

Uh....recent statistics dispute your apologist claim:

Here are a few of the highlights.
US clerics accused of abuse from 1950-2002: 4,392.
About 4% of the 109,694 serving during those 52 years.
Individuals making accusations: 10,667.
Victims' ages: 5.8% under 7; 16% ages 8-10; 50.9% ages 11-14; 27.3% ages 15-17.
Victims' gender: 81% male, 19% female
Duration of abuse: Among victims, 38.4% said all incidents occurred within one year; 21.8% said one to two years; 28%, two to four years; 11.8% longer.
Victims per priest: 55.7% with one victim; 26.9% with two or three; 13.9% with four to nine; 3.5% with 10 or more (these 149 priests caused 27% of allegations).
Abuse locations: 40.9% at priest's residence; 16.3% in church; 42.8% elsewhere.
Known cost to dioceses and religious orders: $572,507,094 (does not include the $85 million Boston settlement and other expenses after research was concluded). (Hartford Courant, 2/27/04)

www.priestsofdarkness.com...

Handy little chart. More priests = more abuse.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cc82337c0c8.jpg[/atsimg]

www.bringyou.to...

You suggest all these people are simply looking for a handout from a "false" story?
Seems the Church is eager to pay rather than have "facts" come out. (Note source.)
www.americancatholic.org...

And directly related to OP:
www.guardian.co.uk...

I suggest you keep searching.

Regards...KK

[edit on 21-5-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

There is a reason WHY so many people in "power" are those types of people, corrupt etc.

These kind of people have more of an urge to seek these postitions of power than the average nice guy, they love being in power because of their big ego etc.

I agree, blame the Catholic Church for looking the other way or covering this stuff up, but don't blame the entire establishment for encouraging this kind of behavior, I think that's a stretch. It's far more plausible that sick, egotistical people are just drawn to these position.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sexaul abuse in the boys institutions was endemic. This is not added on for effect. Read the report.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join