It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skydiver survives 6,000ft fall without parachute

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Skydiver survives 6,000ft fall without parachute

www.telegraph.co.uk

The accident happened while he was filming another skydiver performing a jump onto a mountain side for a television documentary.

As he plunged at 100mph, he was meant to open his parachute following a signal from the other man.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Video - www.telegraph.co.uk...

Landing was like being "hit by a speeding truck", he said.

He reportedly broke his back, cracked a rib, chipped several teeth and bruised a lung.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! All I can say is lucky boy! I bet he wont be trying it again in a hurry. Is this an example of fate? Are all things in life pre-determined?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
He had it coming. Any fool that jumps out of a plane and deploys their parachute at the last minute is tempting fate.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Would trying to land on feet help make it more possible to survive? or would that just kill you easier? hmmm

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Wow amazing story, he had enormous luck! Although I don't think he will stop skydiving, but it taught him a lesson
, rather open the parachute before one hits the ground

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
One lucky man.

What a story to tell...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Sorry, but reading back through the article this really made me laugh:

He reportedly broke his back, cracked a rib, chipped several teeth and bruised a lung.

So inbetween the horrific back break and punctured or collapsed lung, he was misfortunate enough to have "chipped several teeth" - oh well, I'm sure his dentist will be happy!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Would trying to land on feet help make it more possible to survive? or would that just kill you easier? hmmm

Imagine a soda can getting crushed,standing up right...

Something was on his side that day

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Well he did not go all the way without a parachute :/

There goes another example of an over-exaggerated story....

Nothing against the poster, but the news itself.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   

The 31-year-old from Tamworth, Staffs, thought that he was going to die after crashing onto the snow-covered mountain in Russia after a filming stunt which went wrong.

Sounds like he owes his life to the deep snow that cushioned his fall.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I can imagine the snow forming some sort of pillow that broke his fall, but damn is that guy lucky.

I wonder what he was thinking in the time he hang in the air!?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
If the incident took place as is described, it seems nothing short of miraculous that he was able to survive. I would agree that a lot of soft snow probably helped ease the force he would have met on impact. Still, I would predict 99/100 people would have died following similar circumstances. Once his wounds have healed, I'm sure he will laugh it off as just being really "lucky"

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GondelleX

"Did I turn the oven off", "I hope I locked the front door"???!!!!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Most Special Forces are skilled in what is called a HALO jump. HALO is a High Altitude Low Opening jump that is usually performed in the dark.
His parachute opened very low and he fell into snow.

I can only assume he panicked, else he could have flared that baby and minimised his injuries.

Darn civilian.

As part of the experiments, on August 16 1960, Colonel Joe Kittinger performed the first high altitude jump at an altitude of 19.5 miles (31.4 km) above the Earth's surface. However, the technique was used for combat for the first time during the Vietnam War in Laos by members of MACV-SOG. SEAL Team SIX of the United States Navy expanded the HALO technique to include delivery of boats and other large items in conjunction with parachutists.

Link

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

I am a AFF skydiver in Australia, and the idea is to go limp, (if possible, lol), before you hit the ground. Pretty hard to go limp falling 200km's and hour, lol.

His canopy dip partially, if not fully opened before he hit the snow covered ground, so he was still very lucky.

What is crazy to me, is there is no way I would put my life in some other dudes hands to tell me when to pull the rip cord, lol.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

www.youtube.com...

U.S. Air Force Special Operations Team makes a High Altitude Low Opening (HALO) parachute jump

The canopy is till deployed well before the video in the OP. What's the SOP for lowest opening altitude? Any paras on here?????

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Yes, I would love to know what is the lowest possible height for deployment - I imagine it was a bit higher and at a better approach angle than this guy. He seemed to be coming in at quite an angle when he pancaked.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Simple maths and we should be able to work it out! Unforunately my maths is shocking!

If you take terminal veolicity at approx 120mph, then working out what is the highest possible SAFE speed you could travel at when you hit the ground, you should be able to work out the rough altitude. Taking into account the decrease in speed when you deploy your chute of course?!?!?!?!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
You want an awesomely high altitude skydive, have a look at this: awesome skydive

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Don't forget the type of chute as well. Different chutes for different applications. For Low Opening, you need a seriously quick brake!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join