It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What? Square Trees?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What? Square Trees?

Mother Nature must have laughed when she created El Valle from the ashes of a gigantic volcano. At her playful touch frogs turned brilliant yellow, trees became square, mud became therapeutic, and strange symbols appeared on rocks. A few miles north of the Panama Canal Zone is 'the valley of square trees.' This is the only known place in the world where trees have rectangular trunks.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e417d0502cbd.jpg[/atsimg]

The square trees are part of the cottonwood family and are also being grown at the University of Florida to find out if they retain their squareness in a different environment. Even the tree rings, each showing a year's growth, are square.

El Valle De Anton is the largest continually inhabited volcanic crater in the world.

The crater is also home to the golden little frogs which are unique and indigenous solely to El Valle.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c67eba816f02.jpg[/atsimg]

El Valle De Anton - Panama

Strange Indeed.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I dont really know what to make of this story. Certain vegetable companies have been making square and other oddly shaped vegetables for a while now. Maybe they have moved onto trees?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokémon

I wouldn't discount that theory...however...I believe these square trees have been there for as long as anyone can remember. I stumbled on information about these trees last year while doing research about a Panama tribe harvesting trees underwater from areas flooded during the original contruction of the Panama Canal.

It reminds me of the venus fly trap which is from only one area somewhere in the Carolina's if memory serves....will have to look into that one now too....

On edit:
Of the Venus Fly Trap Wiki says: Although it has been successfully transplanted and grown in many locales around the world, it is found natively only in North and South Carolina in the United States, specifically within a 100 mile radius of Wilmington, North Carolina.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58e8eb387398.jpg[/atsimg]

Makes you wonder...these unique species.....

And to stay on topic: Another photo of the square trees

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f6229c8cee8e.jpg[/atsimg]

Peace

[edit on 18-5-2009 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

EXCELLENT story.

What a truly wonderful world this is. ...Square trees. Imagine.

I really love this place. Hope it lasts for a while longer.

S&F. Thank you, sofi

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Indeed, I mean I do believe they have been there well before science evolved. I suppose these days though, it could become a house and garden fashion trend "Man made Square trees".

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
well its nice to have some variety, the trunks also look green, i suppose the leaves are brown. maybe the trees are growing rectangular because of a forward in evolution.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pokémon
I dont really know what to make of this story. Certain vegetable companies have been making square and other oddly shaped vegetables for a while now. Maybe they have moved onto trees?

Wait.......You have made 102 posts since signing up yesterday????

you just spend 24 hours straight on here or something?

Anyways yea those trees are pretty cool. I see no more mention of the mud you had talked about though...any info on it or anything else involving this area?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Venus fly traps always amaze me. They truly show us just how alive plant life really is.....I wonder if plants and trees are a lot more advanced than we know.

Maybe we are on diff frequencies.....Not saying we could communicate with them but i'm sure there is more too learn.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The trunks are green from moss and algae.

Are these trees a specific species that grows rectangular or is it a common tree that only grows rectangular here?

I wonder what special evolutionary advantage the square shape gives them... if the branches are square it may help to keep moisture and friendly plants on them as opposed to letting everything slip off.

Fascinating

new topics

top topics

join