It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry MPs turn on Commons Speaker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Angry MPs turn on Commons Speaker

news.bbc.co.uk

The Speaker of the House of Commons has been challenged by MPs to stand down in unprecedented scenes in the chamber.

Michael Martin did not mention his future in a statement on the expenses furore - instead setting out proposed action to reform the system.

He said he was "profoundly sorry" for his role and said all MPs must accept blame for the "terrible damage" done.

But a succession of MPs challenged him openly, saying they wanted a debate and a vote of no confidence in him.

It follows a week of damaging media revelations about MPs' expenses and criticism of the way Mr Marti
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Well as we all know,this is a dog and pony show,but if you watch the video you can see some MP's actually look genuinely angry(or im naive
.I never thought he was a good house speaker,i've heard alot of the labour folks try and say its simply snobs not liking the guy because he's from a working class family and holds such a position,while that may be true in some cases,i think its a cop out.If one thing is set in stone is that he will step down very very soon i imagine,get a nice comfy seat in the Lords and get bribed by big business for the rest of his merry corrupt days.And the media hardly pays attention to them most of the time so thats a bonus

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
In my opinion this is just a desperate attempt to shift the focus from themselves (individual M.P's) . They throw the public a scapegoat and hope the unwashed masses, umm I mean general public then forget who they're actually mad at and just go back to sleep and keep swallowing the rubbish that comes out of the House of Common Criminals. The M.P's don't care who it is anybody will do, he's probably just an unpopular man in parliament (or prepared to retire in disgrace for a good pension when things get forgotten).

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I believe this just shows how imature MP's are, and the public are not as stupid as they once were and are not falling for what the MP;s are trying to do by shifting the attention.

Its bassicaly like this in one sentece, "We screwed up, abused the expences system, and are in a load of crap, so we need to get rid of you for letting us do it"

Ummm, these are the people who run the country???

Everyone knows that THEY should take the blaim, and get punished themselves (not just paying the money back, they should pay it back on interest) All thats goin to happen when they bring in a new spokeman that will be brought out by various people or a party (prob with there £250,000 expences they have)

This i believe just lowers the already very very low confedance the UK public have in MPs

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
In my opinion this is just a desperate attempt to shift the focus from themselves (individual M.P's) . They throw the public a scapegoat and hope the unwashed masses, umm I mean general public then forget who they're actually mad at and just go back to sleep and keep swallowing the rubbish that comes out of the House of Common Criminals. The M.P's don't care who it is anybody will do, he's probably just an unpopular man in parliament (or prepared to retire in disgrace for a good pension when things get forgotten).

Ufortunately, yellowbeard you are right,

The sheeple will, after seeing someone pay with their job, go back to there dumbed down, fluoride tasting life. In the end it will be "Oh its ok that man got fired and they won't do it again".

The truth is the sheeple have their 3rd eye shut and their minds closed, (at this time) we need to accept this and wait patiently for them to wake up, one by one.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Thats the beauty of this, its backfireing to MP's. They've done this thing in the past to switch the main news from them to something else, however this time it is not working. Everyone knows that this is just a distraction, this happaning is waking more people up. Everyone here now has lost all confidence in polititions, no matter what party, and theres even talks of boycotting them in the EU election (which to be honest is nothing). But we must always remember what happend last time the whole country lost all confidence in parlament, if this goes on (and it doesnt look like people will forget about this easily) one day this could very well happen again.

Yes, many people are still sheeple, but you must stop and think, more and more people are waking up, and the effect is snowballing. Never underestimate your neigbours ability to think and their library of knowladge.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Yes, it is an attempt to shift the spotlight but he was incharge of the office which processed and allowed the claims.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
Yes, it is an attempt to shift the spotlight but he was incharge of the office which processed and allowed the claims.

Agreed.Do you think its MP's wanting to both cover their own hides by offering this sacrifical lamb to the media/public and hope it dies down? or do you think a tri attack from the snobs the corrupt and the cowards in westminster? Anyway he will be gone within a few days i think.If not,well,those bribes must pay real good for him to take so much heat and not budge.

new topics

top topics

join