It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer trogan is making me an accomplice*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
just recently (today) i found that my norton's has discovered a trogan, well this wouldnt be big news if it has already discovered one before hand an deleted it, so i look for the file that is infected in search an while its searching i noticed in my system32/TEMP there was alot of HAxor type (keypad symbols in a order to create a sign or image) then as i open up my system32/TEMP folders i find a folder called Here inside there were numbers [1] thru [10] witch had everything from, movies to apps, to games, an they all had a exe program of the same type (like a created multiplayer)not alot , more like a personal collection nothing like bootlegging type but enough to piss me off. so im just wondering how i should go about controling this.

i have used nortons an it said they cant fix it.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Trance]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
the best way to avoid that is to get a firewall, and it will monitor all of the UDP traffic to your com.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
WOW they have been here since november, 2003. insane an under my folder security it has my computer's name but extra letters showing me that there was others avail for my comp, i have been used as a storage center it seems there are 4 other users able to see these files.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
i have done that to ppl as well, its really not that hard

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Sounds like a fairly common p2p style trojan, I've seen something very similar with WinMX. All those little .exe files are actually just other copies of the trojan, just trying to propogate itself. (Notice it should have given them all enticing names). Hoping to sucker some other chump into downloading them and trying to run. Thus infecting their computer, and so on.

You should be able to download a fix for the trojan somewhere (its fairly benign, just adds its folder to your p2p shared directories). Get the name off your virus scanner and google for a fix.

EDIT: Highly unlikely you've been used as 'storage'. Hard disks are cheap as chips, and unless you are on a large LAN or a very high speed internet connection, it would be more of a pain. Just look and all the files should be of the same filesize.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Kano]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i have norton's auto protect witch i was told would be working better then Macfee, so witch should i use both?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I believe in a multi-pronged solution to security, allowing each tool to do what it's best at:

Hardware
- Router -

These allow you to control what can come into your always-on broadband connection. I've used Linksys products personally for six years and at work for longer than that.
www.compusa.com...

Software
- Spybot Search & Destory-

This can detect, repair and prevent infections from spyware and trojans masquerading as spyware.
www.safer-networking.org...

Software
- Norton Antivirus-

Make sure you use auto-update feature. You get a one-year subscription to it and it's well worth the annual renewal fee. I use the corporate edition at home office and it manages everything for all of my computers.

Human
Intellectual

- Don't open attachments from people you don't know.
- Turn off auto preview if you use Outlook for e-mail.
- Stay up to date with all Microsoft patches.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Also if your virus scan has to be told to 'watch' specific download folders, make sure it knows where your p2p folders are. Norton figures it out by itself, not sure about the others.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Firewalls are very usefull but make sure you have virus software as well. On TechTv they talked about how firewalls work. If want a free one which is generally the same as a normal one

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I seem to be having the same problem my friend. I think I'll try Spy Bot S&D:bnghd:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I also like using a multiple approach

Router-Hardware Firewall
Zone Alarm-Software Firewall

Spybot S+D and AdAware-set Spybot to block spyware
AdAware gets what Spybot
doesn't
AVG Anti-Virus--------------Free and works very well

I've also got my Browser Security set to Custom, I want to see what's trying to be done to my comp.
I check for updates all the time and install as soon as I find any.

new topics

top topics

join