It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashamed to be Christian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
If I could break down exactly what 'Christianity' and 'Being a Christian' means to me I could round it up in one easy..not particularly religious statement.

"Just be nice to each other for Chris'sakes'..
Simple as that..

In attempting to find a date of an upcoming documentary on what is probably the most exciting discovery in the development of the human species,I came across this..

That the distinguished naturalist Sir David Attenborough receives hate mail from Christians should be depressing for both scientists and theologians. They write to tell him “to burn in hell and good riddance”,

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Are you kidding me??
Some 'Christians' had to sit down and physically go out of their way,put pen to paper and fingers to keyboards to send him hate mail and death threats.???
And at 83 YEAR OLD and still teaching us!!.

I'm spending most of my free time trying to find some hidden info about 'Darwinus Masillae' because I find it exciting..
'The biggest evolutionary theory breakthrough' excitement has now been replaced by the disappointing realisation that we haven't even evolved one iota.. 'spiritually'.

Methinks I have to find another description of my own brand of 'Christianity' if I have to be associated with people like this.

The 'offending series'..

First time I ever heard of David Attenborough

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It upsets me to no end that Christians would stoop to something like this. It sounds like they're really insecure in their faith. To me, an evolutionist can come out with whatever information he wants, but it's not to going to rattle my faith in what I believe and sway me from believing that Christ died for my sins and will return to Earth one day.

I, too, often don't like to use the term Christian. The pastor at my former church said that he prefers "disciple of Christ". I like that notion. True Christians really are disciples of Christ. In the end, the name doesn't matter though. It's about Christ and how we show him to the world. And in that respect, those that send this man hate mail aren't showing Christ's love. They should be praying that he would come to a knowledge of Christ. Sadly, this hate mail probably just keeps pushing him farther and farther away.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The actions of a few (or quite a few) are what's shameful. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Don't ever be ashamed to call yourself CHRISTian. "Whoever is ashamed of me before man...."

When a woman marries she takes her husband's name. As the bride of Christ we take the name of CHRISTian. How shameful for Mrs. Smith to call herself by Mr. Jones name and how shameful for CHRISTians to call themselves Baptists, Lutherans, fundamentalists, etc.

The May 25th National Geographic program you're referring to is nothing to cause even a ripple of doubt in our faith. Yahweh is not mocked. Let the chips fall where they may. And God bless David Attenborough for his perseverance.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well, despite the bad apples, I am proud to be a Christian.

There are many out there that claim to be something they are not.

They shall be known by their deeds.

If, as in this case you have brought forth, they see fit to place Judgement upon David, then they are acting no different than Satan and the Fallen. They are doing what only God has the right to do. Sentence one to Hell.

But I would expect the problem is the teaching they obtain in the Church. The Bible speaks clearly about such matters. Vengence is Mine sayth the Lord. Let them without sin, cast the first stone, and on...........

Re-reading this, and it seems I am a Fuzzy-Huggy Christian, but the point is as Christians, our main concern should be Teaching Others.

I am no doormat, and I will fight back, when pressed. I have distain for the Secular Theology Doctrine of Man, and will present truthful responses from Gods WORD to support the point. I also have little Tolerance for a great many acts that are now day to day lifestyle choices.

But I am only afforded one method of reaching out. Planting Seeds.

That is the duty we have been given. It is upto God, to make it grow.

A Christian would be better off asking David questions, and asking for his impressions of some supportive scripture. But judging he is going to Hell, when only ONE has that distinction TODAY, is toooo far over the line for me.

But that will be between Them and their Creator, won't it!

Ciao

Shane

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Whatever ones views about Creation & how we came to be here, there's no doubt that David Attenborough has done more to educate the public about Earth, its flora & fauna than anyone else.

His "Life" series of programmes (Life on Earth being the most famous) set the standard by which all other natural history programmes are judged. And as Controller of BBC2 in the 1960's he commissioned two enormously influential series, Civilisation by Kenneth Clarke (investigating Western history through the medium of art) and The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski (investigating the development of society through science).

There's many folks about who deserve hate mail ; David Attenborough isn't one of them.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

"Christians" send these "hate mails"???? You sure about that??? You do know how easy it is to misrepresent yourself in order to "smear" an intended target... don't you??? Happens all the time. FBI used to call this kind of tactic....... "Badjacketing". Today these kind of attacks are called "PSYOPS". Might want to hold back on where you direct your "anger"....... you could have just been "PSYOPed".

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
dont be, the NWO minions over time have corrupted Christ to represent a monolithic thing like they are, corrupt and big, and fat..

Do not feel ashamed, this is a lucifarian tactic by evil itself attacking the real church of Christ, sinners. Those who dont go with the grain. Because they are not losers like the successful worldites are and have been too long.

Hey world take a hint from Cypress Hill the rap group please..

you need to relax and advance in a calm and fruitfull way, all this greed and panic over peices of paper or metals, which could be used rather in space ships than as money..is rediculous and enteertaining.

P.S. if the world burned today, i would laugh hystericly at the irony of my warning everyone im a visionary, i see future events randomly.. thats gods gift to me..to you too. thanks to al gore and the internet..MANBEARPIG AAHHHH

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The following is my personal opinion.
If there were to exist a GOD, God as it were, perhaps in a moment of divine wisdom decided to create life. In this creation, to GOD, it would merely be instantaneous. Time irrelevant to a divine consciousness which exists without boundaries.
The method of creation being relative to the product of such.
GOD, creates life through the process of evolution.
To us a marvelous and wondrous process.

Why is it that the divine cannot co exist and be part of evolution.
Faith, would not be called into question if a moment would be taken to examine the perspective of the GENESIS, and the origin of species.
From the perceptive of the divine CREATOR, all of time and existence would merely be an instant. From our perspective, time is relative.
Perhaps the ADAM and EVE were the first "aware" human beings to exist. It even states so in GENESIS.

More or less, why does one have to be right and the other wrong.
Exploration of sciences is nothing without the divine inspiration to encourage one to look in the right places for answers anyway.
Why must the belief in one negate the other.

It is very presumptuous for us to rule, anything out scientifically, even the divine.
The lessons of every faith, encourage one to be intelligent, as well as faithful.

When those that are spiritually adamant, realize that the stories are figurative, they will be increasing their spirituality by acknowledging the processes of life.
When those that are scientifically adamant, realize that no solution should be ruled out, the closer they will come to the real schema.
Science is nothing without leaps of faith, and faith is nothing without scientific understanding.
L8R

[edit on 17/5/2009 by reticledc]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It is truly shameful how those "Christians" condemned Sir David Attenborough.

The Christians' own "textbook" (The Bible) warns actions such as saying to someone "Burn in Hell".

It is saddening to say the least that self-proclaimed Christians disobey the Bible especially Christ's teachings constantly to "defend" their faith.

They should at least read their Bible once in their lives since there is no point going to school without reading your textbook.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I call it The "Righteous Cause" Complex.

It's when someone is a Christian (or any other religion) just because it makes them feel good, and it gives them a sense of purpose. They don't really care about anything other than, being right and just. The only issue is they tend to lose their sense of Justice and become extremists.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
To quote Edward Markham:

He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win.
We drew a circle that took him in.

Sounds like a good strategy to me. Pass it on.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Let's face it; many of these Christian wannabes have no lives and just want to use their 'faith' to harass and scare people. They think that because they go to a church and compare the best clothes and jewelry that they have a pedastal to stand on. They cannot see they still have the pluck in their eyes and have not pulled it out to get the speck out of another's eye.

These are the same people who say the Da Vinci Code made their faith faulter. Their faith is not strong, they only look for arguements.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darky6K
Let's face it; many of these Christian wannabes have no lives and just want to use their 'faith' to harass and scare people. They think that because they go to a church and compare the best clothes and jewelry that they have a pedastal to stand on. They cannot see they still have the pluck in their eyes and have not pulled it out to get the speck out of another's eye.

These are the same people who say the Da Vinci Code made their faith faulter. Their faith is not strong, they only look for arguements.

I hope you're not generalizing too much. But as Christian church-goer myself, I think you're telling the truth....

There's a very good reason behind it, let me explain.. Many pastors are suggesting their members to 'show' 'reveal' the blessings God is giving them, and that will inspire non Christians to think that God truly blesses Christians and they live a good life, thus, attracting them to the Christian faith, but....

....IMO, if you truly love God, you will love him no matter what.... Somehow, it's become of a deception that dressing up to attract non-believers to the faith. Because Christianity is not about worshiping God, obeying his commands and getting rich. It's all about, finding out the truth and setting people free, that is a blessing in itself already...

If you're worshiping and obeying God to get a good life and get rich, you may not be worshiping the true God but the God of money.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
As a Christian, a Catholic, I too have written to David Attenborough in the past - thank you letters!

Since my childhood I have loved his series since first encountering him in "Life on Earth" and the others since. The books of all these series take a prominent pride of place in my display books cabinet. The first one being my main Christmas present when I was 8, Christmas 1979.

top topics

join