It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slide Show Link to Real Monsters or Urban Legend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sure we've all heard of Bigfoot of the Northwest, the Skunk Ape of Florida, but what about The Honey Island Swamp Monster or the Arkansas Ape Man? What about the the Chicken Monster? Or maybe the Big Bird of Texas? How about the Agropelter or the Alkali Monster?

Here is a very interesting presentation found in the Sun Sentinel that offers pictures of 40 different monsters for you to decide whether they are real or just an urban legend. Most of the slide show has actual photographs or artist renditions of the monster. Be warned some are a little on the gross side, but most are pretty cool.

Perhaps members can pick their favorite unknowns and provide us with more research and tales. I'm intrigued by the lesser known ones such as the Murphysboro Mud Monster or the Oklahoma Octopus

Real Monsters or Urban Legend?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f1b50115c3a.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5-16-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
My favorite has always been Nessie.
Strangely enough there were similar looking creatures in various lakes arround the world.

Also, there is a, supposable, giant catfish the size of a VW bug that lives in a local lake from where I reside.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
it is fascinating that so many lakes seem to have their own version of a Nessie.

the "Chicken Monster" is the most disturbing of those monsters if the claims that a woman actually gave birth to it is true

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What is the Oklahoma octopus may i ask?

Sorry i've found it. lol

[edit on 16-5-2009 by h1satsu]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Haha a star for bring it to my attention, quite cool this. Always interested in learning about new tales or real monsters etc haha.

EDIT: Damn! is that supposed picture of the bear lake serpent real?

[edit on 19/5/09 by Liamoville]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
What a great collection! Some expected classics and some I've never heard of (like Agropelter was a first for me!).

In my opinion many of these are actually the same creature or rather the same species, for example the "wild men", skunk apes, swamp monsters, "orange eyes" and Bigfoot are pretty much the same thing IMO. And undoubtedly many of the lake monsters may be the same species...

Obviously there are a couple of known "hoaxes", like the "Texas Bird" (the picture you included with the OP) was actually a model shown in a museum. The model was of a prehistoric bird - which actually existed!
Not to mention Minnesota ice man which is/was the work of a taxidermist.

Nice trip around the crypto world nonetheless!

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I remember reading about the Murphysboro Monster sightings when I was younger. They scared the hell out of me and I would get nightmares about it. It did not help that I also read about Mothman a little later. Talk about scary creatures that live in the USA.

Thank you for the site on the many cryptids that are said to be living in the USA.

I think the Montauk Monster turned out to be a bulldog.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I found some info on the mud monster:

The vast reaches of forest and open fields of southern Illinois, combined with the sparse population in some areas, seem to invite weirdness that might not occur in cities and more crowded locales. In the most southern portions of the region, the Shawnee National Forest covers miles and miles of territory. The acres of forest seem almost untouched by man and some believe that strange things occasionally pass through here, unseen by human eyes. In the summer of 1973, the town of Murphysboro in southwestern Illinois was the site of a bizarre series of monster sightings. The enigmatic creature, now recalled as the “Murphysboro Mud Monster” appeared without warning and then suddenly disappeared just two weeks later, seemingly without a trace. In its wake, the monster left a number of confused and frightened witnesses, baffled law enforcement officials and of course, an enduring legend. The monster was first seen around midnight on June 25, 1973. A young couple, Randy Needham and Judy Johnson, were parked near a boat ramp into the Big Muddy River near Murphysboro when they heard a strange, roaring cry that shattered the stillness of the night. It came from the nearby woods and both of them looked up to see a huge shape lumbering toward them. Whatever it was, it continue to make the horrible sound and they later described the noise as "something not human". According to their account, the monster was about seven feet tall and covered with a matted, whitish hair. The "fur" was streaked liberally with mud from the river. By the time the creature approached to within 20 feet of them, they quickly left the scene. They went directly to the Murphysboro police station. A short time later, Officers Meryl Lindsay and Jimmie Nash returned to the area and surveyed the scene. Although skeptical, they were surprised to find that a number of footprints had been left in the mud. The footprints were "approximately 10-12 inches long and approximately three inches wide". At 2:00 AM, Nash, Lindsay, another officer named Bob Scott, and Randy Needham returned to the scene again. This time, they discovered more tracks and Lindsay left to go and get a camera. The others followed the new footprints, tracing their path along the river. Suddenly, from the woods about 100 yards away, came the creature's terrifying scream. They didn't wait to see if they could spot the monster and instead, made a quick retreat for the patrol car. After waiting in the darkness for a little while, they got back out again and spent the rest of the night trying to track down a splashing sound they heard in the distance. Things quieted down after daylight, but the next night, the creature was back! The first to see the monster this time was a four-year old boy named Christian Baril, who told his parents that he saw a "big white ghost in the yard". They didn't believe him, but when Randy Creath and Cheryl Ray saw an identical monster in a neighboring yard just ten minutes later, Christian's parents, and the police, quickly reconsidered the little boy's statement. Randy and Cheryl spotted the monster at about 10:30 PM, while sitting on the back porch of the Ray house. They heard the sound of something moving in the woods near the river and then spotted the muddy, white creature staring at them with glowing pink eyes. Cheryl would insist that the eyes were actually glowing and were not reflecting light from some other source. They estimated that it weighed at least 350 pounds, stood seven feet tall, had a roundish head and long, ape-like arms. Cheryl turned on the porch light and Randy went for a closer look. The creature seemed unconcerned and finally ambled off into the woods. Investigators would later find a trail of broken tree branches and crushed undergrowth, along with a number of large footprints. They also noticed a strong odor left in the monster's wake, but it didn't last for very long. The officers who arrived on the scene, Jimmie Nash and Ronald Manwaring, quickly summoned a local man named Jerry Nellis, who had a trained German Shepherd that was often used by the police department as an attack dog and to search buildings and track suspects. The dog immediately was sent in pursuit of the monster. He managed to track the creature through the woods and down a hill to a small pond. Eventually, the trees and undergrowth became too thick for the dog to continue and it was pulled off the track just moments after almost pulling its handler down a steep embankment. The officers began searching the area with flashlights and the dog began sniffing near the trees, hoping to pick up the scent again. He then set off toward an abandoned barn, but refused to go inside. In fact, the animal began shaking with fear and barking. Nellis called the two officers over and they opened the barn and went inside. After a few moments, they realized that it was empty. The three men were puzzled. The dog had been trained to search buildings and Nellis could not explain why it had refused to enter the barn. A short time later, the search was called off for the night. The Mud Monster was reported two more times that summer. On the night of July 4, traveling carnival workers stated that they spotted the creature looking at some Shetland ponies that were being used for the holiday celebration. Then, on July 7, Mrs. Nedra Green heard a screaming sound coming from a shed on her rural farm. She did not go out to investigate. So what was the Murphysboro Mud Monster? Local authorities admitted that they didn't know. "A lot of things in life are unexplained," Police Chief Toby Berger admitted at the time, "and this is another one. We don't know what the creature is, but we do believe what these people saw was real." According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper, the Mud Monster emerged again as a possible culprit to an attack that allegedly occurred at the Rend Lake campground near Benton in August 1989. During the attack, gaping holes were left in a tent and animal blood was left behind at the scene. The attack was later determined to have been from dogs, but that didn’t stop local residents from speculating about the Murphysboro Mud Monster again! In the 1989 newspaper reports, Jerry Nellis, the dog handler in the original case stated his own theories on the famous case, which left he and the other witnesses to the events as “hunted” as the Mud Monster itself. Reporters and “monster hunters” came from everywhere asking questions about the case but Nellis maintained that "in my opinion ... we were tracking a bear." But for the rest of Southern Illinois (the news story continued) and for every outdoorsman who has, as Nellis suggests, "seen something we can't make out just beyond the headlights," that original vision reported to police on June 25, 1973, is all we need to imagine.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The Chupacabra has always been interesting to me, and I think now is the perfect time to do some more digging on it since you've brought it to my attention lol. The Big Bird of Texas also looks quite interesting. Might have to do a search on that as well here, as I'm watching this Lakers/Magic game. Star and a Flag for this very thought-provoking post! I also think its funny how you can sort of tell which ones are just urban myths and which ones MIGHT have an air of legitimacy.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Oh... oh my God. I just saw the last one, "The Chicken Monster." My God.. that certainly takes the cake for me! I can't even begin to imagine that... I'm going to need to do some research on that one, too, and see what I can come up with. Again, thank you so much for this link!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The Bigfoot in Arkansas is the real deal, I've seen that puppy with my own eyes.

That was a great trip through crypto land, thanks for sharing it with us.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Concerning the "Chicken Monster" (goofy-ass name for it, if you ask me. i mean - chicken??
)

The birth defect is called Congenital Ichthyosis.

From the ATS thread 444744.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Interesting, I have been around Lake Norman (#14 on the slide show) for most of my 41 years, and I have never heard anything about any creature, much less something called 'Normie'. Big catfish stories are a dime a dozen, but 'Normie'...

Well, actually there is this one unpleasant fellow named Norman, whose wife calls him Normie, but he has only one hump.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by Viking04]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
The Gloucester Sea-Serpent is a new one for me. I've lived in Massachusetts my whole life and have never heard of it. Who the hell knows whats in that harbor though.

join