It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus Money not Going where it is NEEDED the Most

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Stimulus money not going where it's needed most
May 11, 2009 - 8:39am.

Elk County, PA: No help for those who need it most (AP)

By MATT APUZZO and BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE

Counties suffering the most from job losses stand to receive the least help from President Barack Obama's plan to spend billions of stimulus dollars on roads and bridges, an Associated Press analysis has found.

Although the intent of the money is to put people back to work, AP's review of more than 5,500 planned transportation projects nationwide reveals that states are planning to spend the stimulus in communities where jobless rates are already lower.

One result among many: Elk County, Pa., isn't receiving any road money despite its 13.8 percent unemployment rate. Yet the military and college community of Riley County, Kan., with its 3.4 percent unemployment, will benefit from about $56 million to build a highway, improve an intersection and restore a historic farmhouse.

Altogether, the government is set to spend 50 percent more per person in areas with the lowest unemployment than it will in communities with the highest.

The AP reviewed $18.9 billion in projects, the most complete picture available of where states plan to spend the first wave of highway money. The projects account for about half of the $38 billion set aside for states and local governments to spend on roads, bridges and infrastructure in the stimulus plan.

The very promise that Obama made, to spend money quickly and create jobs, is locking out many struggling communities needing those jobs.

Source

This, IMHO, is why the US Economy is a flailing downward spiral.

The words, the intention, is always good...the execution is always poor and lacks mission critical application.

In essence those communities that need help the LEAST, are getting shiny new roads at the behest of the current administration, meanwhile the "Elkhart Indiana's" of the country are basically being told they're on their own.

Does anyone else find this particularly off-center with the ""New Vision" ??

Bolding is mine: I mean look at this travesty? Fixing an intersection, restoring a farmhouse, build a highway -56 MILLION DOLLARS ... for a community with a 3.4% unemployment rate???

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to tell families who are starving out here that they can't eat any longer because some guy's farm in PA. needs a french drain, electric gate and 3 60" plasma's (obvious satire).

When will we learn.

When will ADMINISTRATIONS learn.

We're starting to be sold down the river.

AB1

[edit on 11-5-2009 by alphabetaone]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Personally, I don't know where any of the money is going. I live in Chicago, there are some places that the city is keeping up with repairs, mainly the areas that are meant to be seen by the Olympic committee, while the rest of city has citizens buying their own asphalt and repairing their own pot holes?! Yet, taxes are higher on every level?! Someone is getting very fat off of our money.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
while the rest of city has citizens buying their own asphalt and repairing their own pot holes?! Yet, taxes are higher on every level?! Someone is getting very fat off of our money.

This is just unbelievably wrong beyond my comprehension.

How can ANY Administration (non-partisan views here) find it advisable to approve such things.

That being said, where the hell is all this transparency we all keep hearing about? Where are the books? Where are the contract bids? Where is the breakdown of proposed (BEFORE THE MONEY GETS SPENT) expenditures?

*sigh* is all I can do at the moment.

AB1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You're telling me, this was after two pot hole related deaths, can you imagine death by pot hole, it is insane. One I'm not certain of the exact circumstance, the other the woman hit the hole, hit her head, caused a stroke and she died before getting to the hospital. People had gotten fed up, and began filling the holes themselves, after the local news caught wind of it and aired a story, the city decided it was illegal to fill your pot hole (something about not being safe, lol , but apparently death by pot hole is a okay.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Could you do me a favor and post links to the story on here if you know of them?

I would seriously love to read about it. I'm just sitting here shaking my head.

AB1

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Yes, of course. Sorry it took me so long to get back.
I have found some articles related to the citizens filling their own potholes. I'm gonna keep looking for the article about the woman, I had seen the story on the local news, but finding it in print is proving to be slightly more difficult.

www.rightwingnews.com...kansasprogress.com... .php/2009/04/23/in-chicago-even-with-high-taxes-citizens-left-paying-for-own-pothole-fixes/
www.nbcchicago.com...

I found it: www.myfoxchicago.com...
They only have the video of the news clip not an article, but I couldn't figure out to post the video , so I linked it.
Her name was Lucielle Davidson I didn't have any luck through google with a name search though. May she rest in peace.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by searching4truth]

[edit on 11-5-2009 by searching4truth]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Wow. Just wow.

While I have a LITTLE trouble with the rightwing news' agenda (it's obviously slanted) the STORY is out of this world.

I feel for the family though, hell I would rather have family shot than lose them to a pothole because of beaurocratic nonsense and games.

Thanks for the links

AB1

top topics

join