It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do all the stars come from???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That happened once, I don't remember who was that sent me a U2U that basically asked for a star and a flag, and it got neither (it was not good enough).

The "star system" is obviously victim of the friendship and enmity of other members, so some posts get stars just because they were made by someone, while other posts get stars just because they were an answer with the opposite view of the other poster.

Another thing I have noticed is that the stars are more common on the first pages, the more pages the thread gets the less stars appear, even in good posts, so it looks like many people not only do not post, they do not even read the whole thread, they take a look and star the posts they like, and they leave the thread.

Besides the problems with it, this system is the best so far, the previous one, with positive and negative votes was even more the victim of abuse, it looks like people prefer to punish than to reward.

The flag system is also badly used, with many people using it to make the thread appear on the top of the page so they do not have to look for it, but I also think that it's a good system.

And remember that the staff can give applauses, so with applauses you always know who it was.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

LOL, I cant believe someone u2u'd you and actually asked for a star and flag. I myself will u2u certain members and alert them of a new thread, just because I think they might like it or be able to add something to it. But lol, asking for stars and flags.........

I have also noticed that with the drop in stars after the OP, I think by then a lot of people get lazy and think that they stared and flagged the OP so that is all that counts, in a way yes, but also no.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I even got a U2U once telling me to vote for Obama, from someone that probably did not noticed that I live in Portugal, so I don't find that strange.

And I have received several U2Us asking me to look at a thread, and I have seen some threads for which I would have liked to be alerted, so don't be shy with the U2Us.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There's a rumor going round
Down in ATS town
That Modmen have a magic wand

More stars can appear
Than members can endear
So catch the big fish in the pond

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I'm new here, and I know how to "star", but how do you "flag", and what is the
purpose?--it seems redundant. Also is there an icon for disagreement, or
am I expected to ~not be lazy~ and actually make a rebuttal when I disagree?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Personally I star threads or posts I think give good information or are a good response to another part of the post. If I like someone's opinion on a post I will give them a star. I dont always post in the threads I star or flag because if I dont have anything to contribute worth reading I wont post. I will give the OP credit for their post if it's one I liked.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

You flag by hitting the "flag" button on the top left hand side, right above the OP (Opening Post of thread)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I star posts all the time when I agree with the posters point of view and may never post a reply on that thread myself.

I'll star one side of a heated debate again if I agree with one side or the other. Sometimes I'll star somebody even if I disagree with their point of view if they made a real good argument with FACTS!

[edit on 11-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Where do the stars come from?

Usually Hollywood & Broadway....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join