It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Stolen Rheocrete & Stolen Tanker Truck & Stolen Ammonium Nitrate & Missing Fuel Rods

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Local New York City news (NBC Channel 4) broke the news of the theft of a "highly toxic chemical", rheocrete from a New Jersey facility on Monday. Combining this with other recent regional developments of missing nuclear fuel rods from the Vermont Yankee Reactor in Montepelier, Vermont, and a missing tanker truck also from New Jersey, and we have the major ingredients for an effective "dirty bomb." (evolving story)

www.wnbc.com... Original Story... The chemical Rheocrete, a form of nitrate, is commonly used to prevent corrosion in steel. But officials said it could be used as a deadly chemical weapon. Police said they believe the theft of tanker truck in New Jersey earlier this month could be connected. A nationwide alert has been sent out. This story evolved over time, and as we engaged in intense discussion within this news thread here on ATSNN, and in another forum, it became clear that the limited initial report allowed some rather wild speculation, and the reporting staff of WNBC either didn't research their faces, or purposefully exaggerated the potential danger in a search of more eyeballs tuning them in. This is why ATSNN is a valuable news resource. We had an excellent balance of skeptical input, research, and even some of our own exaggeration. (update) After continued investigation into the possibilities of this development, members of ATS have uncovered a possible motive for the theft of what seems to be a harmless and inexpensive chemical. By using this chemical, terrorists may indeed end up with a very effective dirty bomb that features a "sticky cloud" that efficiently carries the radioactive particles further that would be expected. Jump directly to this development by clicking here. Follow the thread for a great example of how a community-drive news site can stay on top of a story, and uncover the critical details. Related News Missing Radioactive Materials Vermont Yankee Continues Search For Missing Fuel Rods Missing tanker truck gives law enforcement reason to scramble Agents look for missing tanker truck Competing news channel with an alternate spin Stolen Chemical Non-Hazardous; Unlikely to be Linked to Tanker Theft Say Cops [Edited on 28-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is not good news.

I hope everyone in Jersey and NYC keeps their eyes open. Tankers are pretty hard to disguise.

Stay alert, people.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
This is not good news.

I hope everyone in Jersey and NYC keeps their eyes open. Tankers are pretty hard to disguise.

Stay alert, people.

i donno, if it were a plain steel tanker truck with nothing on the tank they could easily get new plates and spraypaint "MILK" on the sides...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I'm getting visions of what recently transpired in Jordan earlier this month.....definitely not good.
Sad part about it is that there are numerous high value 'targets' within that area that would greatly effect tens of thousands, if not more, of people.

[sarcasm]Lets hope they don't have a clue about the area and end up trying to cross the George Washington Bridge during rush hour....

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Let me guess, all fingers point towards " Al Qeuda ".

This is interesting, lets hope it is found before it can be found before anyone gets hurt.

Deep

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Rheocrete:

www.masterbuilders.com...

This is Rheocrete CNI. I'm not seeing anything major here. It explicitly states not an oxidizer, and it is 0 on a hazard scale.

Still searching though...there are variants of Rheocrete.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hate to say this, but as a former hazmat driver it would be no problem to make things disappear, what are they gonna do...stop every tanker? There are a lot of them in this area.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Ah damn... it was Rheocrete with some other 3-letter acronym in the segment on the news. (RHI?) The Fire Department expert certainly was making the case that it was very nasty stuff.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
what i think is the worst is that it could have been stolen like in the beginning of the month. how and why are they just realizing it gone now? and it could be ANYWHERE by now...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
MSDS on Rheocrete 222.

PDF File

Still nothing except that the contact information is at an [email protected]

but that probably doesn't mean anything, right? ? ?

[Edited on 4-26-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Odd... I can only find MSDS's for Rheocrete 222 or Rheocrete CNI, nothing else. Neither seem nearly as toxic as the news story makes it out to be.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
We're in agreement so far SO...what the hell's up with the authorities scaring the piss out of us??? I'm still digging.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well... "authorities" and "local news looking for ratings" are two very different things. Story at 11.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hey All, A tanker truck was stolen the other day from NJ, will find linkage, this is not adding up right.

Philadelphia Inquirer

The FBI and a New Jersey state counterterrorism team are investigating the reported theft of a 44-foot gasoline tanker this month from a Camden County parking lot.

"We don't know what the motive was behind the theft," FBI spokeswoman Linda Vizi said. "It could have been stolen by another individual in the fuel-hauling business.

The chrome-plated tanker, which can hold more than 9,000 gallons, was empty when stolen from the TK Transport Terminal in Pennsauken between April 8 and April 12, Pennsauken Police Capt. Earl Griffin said.

"They didn't notice it missing for a few days," he said.

Steve Quayle

It was reported on the 20th of April, but yet they did not know for a couple of days? What the heck is wrong with people. Why was security not heightened in general for tanker trucks, and why are we just finding out about it now?

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Bad link, tricky.

Firsty of all, you are dealing with news media. These people have the scientific inteligence of squirels. Calcium nitrate?

As for the missing truck. Hell you are talking about New Jersey.

Tony Soprano probably took it

fugetaboutit

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Bad link, tricky.

HUH, I realized Val posted it above me so I axed it, her link no workie either.

It's a shame to some aspect that the Government took some things off the web, so people who do not want to 86 the country could get some freking info

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Wow this is wonderful, because these things happen every day right? I'm In Jersey and this is pretty scary i guess... Not good.................................................................................................................................................. ...................................................................................................................

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Okay, SO, here's what I have been able to dig up so far. Basically Rheocrete CNI is calcium nitrite, an organic corrosion inhibitor.

If you go here:

www.inchem.org...

You find that any nitrate/nitrite can be used as an "explosive" if subjected to high temp high pressure because it will become unstable and out-gas basically. SO, I guess this stuff could be used as long as you

1. contain it (inside a tanker truck would do it)
2. have an energy source (ignition - diesel fuel would do it, and then a detonating mechanism)

BUT, I've got a big heaping helping of chemists I can ask about this...and I will and I'll let you know what they say.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Missing tanker truck.

Missing nuclear fuel rods.

Missing 3,300 gallons Rheocrete

hmmmmmmm.

Radiological dirty bomb?

I guess anything is possible at this point. I would never underestimate the enemy here.

But we could just be over reacting here. I can't help but think of the magnitude of what terrorists did with a few box cutters and plane tickets... I don't want to imagine what they could do with this stuff.

Gazz

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If these events are linked to terrorist cells within the USA and they are some how able to combine these items into a radiological dirty bomb, and were able to set it off in the heart of a major city, The impact could over-shadow the events of 9/11.

The death toll would be saggering, and leave those living and exposed to the radiaton to die a slow painful death.

And the area of this attack would be radioactive for many years.

For now let's hope that these missing items can be found and SOON!

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by UM_Gazz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join