It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can US Senate & House terms be limited by STATE laws?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
A question for the members: Is it possible to limit the terms of US Senators and Representatives at the state level?

Can a state pass laws that limit terms to, say, 8 or 12 years?

I ask this because I firmly believe that the US Senate and House of Representatives are populated by stagnant ideas and corrupt politicians. Too many politicians make a lifetime of their positions, and this leads to a stifling of fresh ideas and leadership, and corruption as they are bought and sold by the lobbyists.

Limiting terms would also encourage third parties and allow them to become more active and successful in electing their candidates. Term limits would erode the stranglehold that the 2 party system has on our gov't.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

In a perfect world, but probably not. They are considered federal employees, not state employees. That is where the breakdown happens. Our so-called representatives are not under our control.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

I fear that you are right. You probably are right, since it hasn't been done in the past.

But dammit, we elect them. They represent our state(s). We should have a say in how long they can stay. It's been done at the presidential level with the 22nd Amendment; why can't we pass another amendment for Senators and Reps? They have the ability to do much more harm than a president.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The Amendment would first have to pass both houses before it is put to state ratification. They won't cut their own throats. I'd go so far as to say the Amendment would need a clause that representatives can be recalled, removed from office, restricted from running for any office again, and immediate elections held for a replacement.

That would put the people back in control of its representatives.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

That's the Catch-22. If they are the deciders, then forget it.

There needs to be a way that we take that decision out of their hands and put it back in the hands of the people.

new topics

top topics

join