It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do they ever call you crazy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yeah some good info on P2S forum cheers Angel999

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the replies and the tips
and the good advice

I guess I have a good chat with hubby before (as someone said) I'll have to tell him "I told you so"

thanks angle999 for that link, think I'm gonna spend quite some time on that website

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The problem usually isn't with preparing -- many people are doing that, it's a belief in fringe ideas, like the collapse of the US banking system, invasion of zombies, UFO's, sea level rise, etc. Stop giving specific examples, because that is where you look nuts.

You're husband is concerned you've gone off the deep end.

You prepare for "emergencies" and you don't know what those will be. It could be an extended power outage or loss of job. It could be mass flu quarantines. I find if you say, "I don't know what is going to happen, if anything, but I want to be prepared," you then look smart, not nuts. Take up gardening as a hobby, start canning to save money, have camping gear so you can spend more time together as a family.

As far as the bugout location, don't call it that. It's a getaway spot, a vacation place, somewhere to camp, etc.

Trust me, bring it down a notch or two and preserve your marriage. I've been prepping most of my life and I've never needed most of the things I have put aside, except for a few power outages. Chances are you won't either. Don't get so invested in things falling apart.

Your husband isn't in denial, your behavior is causing him concern. Whether some giant catastrophe occurs or not, you are going to be better off having your family on board with your plans. They won't be if they think you are crazy.

Take a break from all the doom. It will do you good.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
Hope to find some tips here in the survival forum
Here's my sob story:

As most of you here I've been preparing for a possible sit-x. For the last 6 months I've been stacking food and survival equipment, this all without my husband knowing about it. In all this time he hasn't even noticed the water bottles under our bed, he hasn't noticed that all my clothing is hanging in my kid's spare closset and mine is stuffed with food cans. LOL, ok, he's not a stupid man but it is kinda funny when you think about it.

We also have a caravan, kilometers away from town in the middle of the woods, completely isolated... there we have our own water pit and an electric generator. I'ts where I will go when something does happen. (It's where I was preparing to go if this mexican flu should become worst case scenario.)
Now my husband wants to sell our piece of land there...

After a lot of discussion about this I had to tell him why I don't want to sell it, I told him about the food stock under the bed... he didn't believe me at first, but then he went to take a look and all hell broke loose.
So now he thinks I'm crazy...paranoid... overreacting...etc.

Let me tell you that I'm not paranoid n'or a nutcase, I'm a normal person who tends to blend in with the rest perfectly... I just feel much better knowing that I'm at least a bit prepared, because I believe that some day something will happen.
It's my gut feeling that tells me that something will come along, I have catastrophic scenario dreams for years and it keeps my survival instinct on the edge at all times.
But my husband thinks I have some kind of obsessive paranoid disorder. I thought he would just laugh at the whole idea, but he doesn't even think it's a bit funny

SO, my question to the rest of you,
how do you deal with the people around you who think you are nuts for having a healthy survival instinct ?

we deal with the idiots all the time... but you know something when it all crashes down around their butts...they are the ones that will come begging and they are the ones that will be removed first.... rather harsh but it could be their reality.... fools are a dime a dozen my friend... a literal dime a dozen.

Just keep on doing what you are doing and you will come out ahead... We started our work on the SHTF scenario many years back and we are well set, but the family is always going to be the worst of the lot you will deal with...

Disregard them and stay focused on what you know to be right and proper for you and yours...

someday you might see their carcasses in the road or in the ditch and then you can smile and say.... "who is the fool"

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I get called crazy all the time - and about half the time it is because of my survival preparations.

Call me "recently awakened". Not specifically to reptilians, alien conquest, government conspiracies, but to the overwhelming need to protect my family from any of the above or other.

I've tried talking to my family. One would call it precisely "spoonfeeding" because I was trying to share at the same time I was learning. "Crazy!" they called me. "Preposterous!" they said. "You're imagining things! It will never come to that!" they insist when I hypothesize on the most reasonable thing that would disrupt their every day behavior.

So what have I done? Explain it away. The relative-by-marriage I don't even bother with. She hasn't the care enough to notice there's financial trouble afoot (even in her own household). Instead I work on the SO. I stock up when things are on sale and tell him it's so we don't have to buy more at full price. I've hidden water in my house and the few gallons he knows about - "to cook our food with if the power goes out". Outdoor survival gear is "camping gear" - although he doesn't like to camp. Conversations of this manner usually involve me starting off with "I heard/ read/ saw the darndest thing today" and try and spoonfeed the message this way.

It's tough, and concessions must be made in the interest of marital harmony, but I have managed to cobble enough together to get us through a couple months worth of hardship. I choose not to contemplate my options when those supplies run out, but it stays at the back of my mind.

I wish you luck. I think there have been some very good ideas spread in here already, I don't have much more to add than that.

Best Wishes.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Sorry I haven't replied to anyone the last days

I have some great news, at least it seems great right now untill I have all the details....
My husband made me an offer I don't think I can resist.

We have been discussing the whole caravan matter further, in a civilized way
. Yesterday when he came home we sat down and talked. He said he found a nice little cottage-like house for sale, only a few miles from where the caravan is. It's closer to the village though, but that village is nothing i'm worried about, not to many people live there and it has just basic needs, a bank, a couple of stores, a school and a gas station... rather small but enough for all your needs and close enough to do the weekly shopping.
anyway, the house is not to big, about 80m², but all basic comfort: electricity, two bedrooms, nice kitchen and bathroom and storage... it's only been build 10 years ago and just came up for sale...... and lots and lots of ground around it with nothing but trees and nature!!! yay!

He said he wouldn't mind leaving the city and move there, he could use the peace and quiet and he loves the al around vacation feeling.
and: i can do there whatever I want he said: drill a new water pit, plant vegetables, hold chickens, etc... but that would be my responsibility, not his.

So his offer, we sell the caravan and buy the cottage and move in there. We are going to take a look at it after the weekend, I can hardly wait to see it! If it's as good as he says it is I think my mind is made up already!
(maybe I have my hopes up to soon, but I feel like I've got a present from the heavens!)

He still thinks I have some weird ideas but I guess he can live with those

(I suspect he's going to push for the new car he wants now... give and receive *g*)
Now I wonder what the familly is going to think about the whole idea, lol

sorry, I'm so exited about this, just had to share it

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'd go for it... sounds like you have the best of both worlds.

VelmaLu

Good advice... too many people make the mistake of getting hooked up on an apocalyptical fantasy and then run around shouting about reptilians/NWO.
I don’t know what is going to happen... I have NO evidence to prove any of the theories I read about so there’s no point getting carried away.
I do know, however, that this planet has gone through many wars, plagues, asteroid strikes, volcanic eruptions, climatic changes that have tested life and pushed species to the brink.
We will be pushed to the brink again... I don’t know when and I don’t know how... but I know we will...

I got my survival side from my grandmother. When I was young I discovered a wardrobe in her spare room that was packed full of tinned food. When I asked her about it she explained that living through 2 world wars had shown her how fragile society is, and it was best to be prepared. My Grandfather looked at my Nan and said "It would never happen like that again" to which my Nan replied " That’s what they said after the first one"

Who knows what’s around the corner... it amazes me, people spend thousands preparing for all sorts of things that "may" never happen... insurance against theft and fire, policy’s that protect you in ill health, guarantee’s on electrical items etc... But ask someone to put a few tins aside (which could save their lives) and they suddenly go into soap-box politician mode!!!

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Muckster]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Sorry I haven't replied to anyone the last days

I have some great news, at least it seems great right now untill I have all the details....
My husband made me an offer I don't think I can resist.

We have been discussing the whole caravan matter further, in a civilized way
. Yesterday when he came home we sat down and talked. He said he found a nice little cottage-like house for sale, only a few miles from where the caravan is. It's closer to the village though, but that village is nothing i'm worried about, not to many people live there and it has just basic needs, a bank, a couple of stores, a school and a gas station... rather small but enough for all your needs and close enough to do the weekly shopping.
anyway, the house is not to big, about 80m², but all basic comfort: electricity, two bedrooms, nice kitchen and bathroom and storage... it's only been build 10 years ago and just came up for sale...... and lots and lots of ground around it with nothing but trees and nature!!! yay!

He said he wouldn't mind leaving the city and move there, he could use the peace and quiet and he loves the al around vacation feeling.
and: i can do there whatever I want he said: drill a new water pit, plant vegetables, hold chickens, etc... but that would be my responsibility, not his.

So his offer, we sell the caravan and buy the cottage and move in there. We are going to take a look at it after the weekend, I can hardly wait to see it! If it's as good as he says it is I think my mind is made up already!
(maybe I have my hopes up to soon, but I feel like I've got a present from the heavens!)

He still thinks I have some weird ideas but I guess he can live with those

(I suspect he's going to push for the new car he wants now... give and receive *g*)
Now I wonder what the familly is going to think about the whole idea, lol

sorry, I'm so exited about this, just had to share it

Wow, That is great, I am happy for you. I do not think its over unfortunatly as you continue he may complain. Be prepared for it.
I am a single women so I only get it from my son anf family. Friends i gave up on cause I am crazy, but I have been married.
Tell him, I guess our government is CRAZY also because. I have no seed vaults, underground worlds filled with food and water. I havent stored barrels of gasoline ect. I have read the signs stating the government cannot help me in the event of a disaster (posted by a government office), I did watch what happened when Katrina hit and the floods this last winter. I do not want to watch my child die of starvation or a flu ,if you have children it is your resposability to keep them alive and healthy.
I am just being prepared as I have been told to be. This is what I would tell him
Knowlage is power .
OK, Its late and I am getting dingy.
Good luck

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but it's a vital conversation to be having. Gypsy, your little cottage in the woods is a gift, I'm sure...please keep us all in the loop, and I would be as excited as you, I'm sure.

I've tried to talk to my family about this, and my mum kinda gets it. Her family were amazing thrifty people who did the two wars thing here, with all the rationing and the poverty. I know she understands it, but I am not sure she has any real concept of how it might get really nasty.Society is so fragile, and most people just dont *want* to know. What makes me feel a little better about their chances of survival is that my Mum is a nurse with 45 years experience, and my dad is a master gunsmith. So although they're not together any more, they both have valuable skills if it all goes really bad.

The food stock issue is a difficult one. My other half is aware, but thinks it's not needed. I have a stock pile, but nowhere as much as I would like. Other family memebers are just in such deep denial and ignorance, there is really no point in mentioning it. All we can do is look after ourselves, and others when we need to or are able to. And follow the clues the universe is giving us, btw...like Gypsy's cottage in the country. We were gifted the same about 3 years ago...with a private water supply and half an acre to grow stuff...and a chicken house and barn. Good luck with it,and keep us posted.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

It's good to have some skilled people in the family, unfortunately I don't. I have a sister who lives in the country for almost 13 years, she knows how it's like to live without electricity and only have water supply that has to be filtered before she can use it... but she's happy there.
As for me and my husband, we don't have any of that experience or skills so it's gonna be one heck of an experiment in the beginning

We don't even own a weapon for protection, not counting the iron bat behind the door.....

As for that cottage I mentioned, I went to take a look last weekend and... well it's not exactly how my husband described it and not what I would call a 'cottage' to begin with not a stand alone house either.
I'ts placed at the edge of a pine forrest with miles of corn fields around it. Basically it's one 'street' with 5 cottage like houses, the people that I saw that live there are not what you find in a town, more alternative people. One person turned his home into a cowboy-range type of thing, another one is clearly a harley biker hypie style mix, lol
Of course, living among these people could actually be a good thing, they seem the kind that 'think alike' and proably all have certain skills that could come in handy if needed...
Also the price is a bit higher then we expected, but we will deside on it within the next two weeks, have a meeting with the owners next week.

I see if I can post a picture of it

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ce0c46d1875.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 15/5/2009 by GypsK]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Some of my friends think I should be on meds because I show passion when it come to global geo-political events, policies, and general government deeds and misdeeds. I don't really believe they think I'm crazy, what I believe is that I take their minds away from the comfort zone they sit in all day long, never giving thought to what may be going on around them..

They rather not know. Which is fine, I know who's door they'll be knocking on when the jackboots start marching down their street. Only I may not be there to answer.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Too right, people should be upset by the things going on in this world. There is that saying.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere".

That is a very good saying, that you should tell your friends. Just because it is not hurting them, does not mean that one day it will not come into there lifes. Like just because the police think they work for the nwo, does not mean they are not affected.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

The big issue is that caravan,
I rather have him trowing away the food then selling my bug out place. And that he thinks is 'overreacting'.

Have you tried a different tactic? Could you see a way of using the land to develop a small business? Read up about aboriculture (look at whether your wood would be suitable to be innoculated for fungi; a growth market, low maintenance, cash crop) and permaculture. A little market research and you could turn your piece of land into a source of food and a modest income. He may see the light if you dress it up a little differently.

I think many of us are feeling an instinctive draw to the land, I have discussed it with a few people who feel the same. I don't think you should ignore yours.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Very few call me crazy, as very few have any idea of the extent of my preparations. We have hurricanes here, and I can hang my hat on that, if it comes up in awkward company. Surely there must be some natural disaster in your area for which a prudent person would prepare?

You're not crazy. Just take a look at the ever-changing Global Incident Map and/or Stan Deyo's Threat Watch.

Perhaps you can talk with your husband and make him understand that a person doesn't have to be consumed by all the diverse threats if a person is prepared. Otherwise, a person is vulnerable, and if you were to wait for subjective verification of the threat FIRST.......... well, it's often too late.

Besides, how often do prices of food and goods go down? I can't recall a time when they ever did. Worst case of stocking up: You save money. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Cheers

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I stared this.. why?

ask sarah palin

/me screw faces

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

well it sounds like hard work but then again.. we know that
can i come visit lol i could do with a rest bite

The system is dying all around us people are waking up "most are" but its just a matter of time be for the control wares off

me wants a farm !!! lil small one

wanna swop some eggs for some milk? "oh no cant do that you get taxed"

i hate the system its BS

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

yea, I don't like the system either.... that's part of why I want to take my distance from society.
Tomorrow I have more news on the cabin, keep yr fingers crossed for me

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I don't bother telling people anymore - I just do what I need to do. I did tell others about my buying a mask for me and my daughter - they looked at me strange.

I said "that is fine" - because when the 2nd round comes - as all the health agencies say it will, those who are not preparing will find it is too late when it is needed.

Also, as for everything else, my family knows what I have done, they have not done anything - and they do think I am crazy.

Doesn't bother me at all - I do what I need to do and everyone else can think what they want. Just as I am trying to sell my house now. I want to sell it and buy a large sailboat to live on at the lake - I don't want to own any more property.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I suspect he's going to push for the new car he wants now... give and receive *g*) Now I wonder what the familly is going to think about the whole idea, lol

I think his new car will be a very nice thank you

Well they can think but they are not the ones making the choice

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

now that sounds interesting!

you can still have internet aswel "wireless stuff" and i would suggest you buy a water filter catcher so you dont have to buy bottled water stuff

Just a tip!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join