It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do they ever call you crazy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Hope to find some tips here in the survival forum
Here's my sob story:

As most of you here I've been preparing for a possible sit-x. For the last 6 months I've been stacking food and survival equipment, this all without my husband knowing about it. In all this time he hasn't even noticed the water bottles under our bed, he hasn't noticed that all my clothing is hanging in my kid's spare closset and mine is stuffed with food cans. LOL, ok, he's not a stupid man but it is kinda funny when you think about it.

We also have a caravan, kilometers away from town in the middle of the woods, completely isolated... there we have our own water pit and an electric generator. I'ts where I will go when something does happen. (It's where I was preparing to go if this mexican flu should become worst case scenario.)
Now my husband wants to sell our piece of land there...

After a lot of discussion about this I had to tell him why I don't want to sell it, I told him about the food stock under the bed... he didn't believe me at first, but then he went to take a look and all hell broke loose.
So now he thinks I'm crazy...paranoid... overreacting...etc.

Let me tell you that I'm not paranoid n'or a nutcase, I'm a normal person who tends to blend in with the rest perfectly... I just feel much better knowing that I'm at least a bit prepared, because I believe that some day something will happen.
It's my gut feeling that tells me that something will come along, I have catastrophic scenario dreams for years and it keeps my survival instinct on the edge at all times.
But my husband thinks I have some kind of obsessive paranoid disorder. I thought he would just laugh at the whole idea, but he doesn't even think it's a bit funny

SO, my question to the rest of you,
how do you deal with the people around you who think you are nuts for having a healthy survival instinct ?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I tell them thats why god made a food chain....

seriously

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
I tell them thats why god made a food chain....

seriously

haha, I can try that one

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I love people calling me crazy.. reminds me how normal i am ; )

how about this...

God
Infinty
Universe
Self aware

what is not crazy the crazy person asks ; ))

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by symmetricAvenger

I remember that when they lock me away

seriously people, don't start flagging this thread!please!! it was just a question I don't want to see ending up on the ats starpage and become known as "the crazy woman!"

as far as my husband's thinking goes: nothing exists untill it is proven... only aliens, because, well ya know --->Star Trek and such *yawn*
And... the Gov will never let any situation grow into a sit-x disaster.
He's not up for further discussion, grrrr...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Seriously if it's an issue that causes problems tell him you want to be prepared in case of a "natural" disaster. It never hurts to have extra food on hand.

What if one of you looses a job? You now have food to sustain you until you can find work.

And if he's a star trek fan he's probably watched Star Gate! If he has then point out the fact that the Government kept the most dangerous alien species known to man a secret from the people!

[edit on 5-5-2009 by cnichols]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
people in my family call me crazy for having all kind of theories, but i dont care cause like symmetricAvenger said ,just reminds me on how normal iam and how much they live in a bubble themselves. I know i should not get angry but i do.. when I see people still livin without knowin any of this,they think their community is fine and all ,well its not.not always anyway. call me crazy do whatever you want I dont care
cause we are the people who KNOW at least enough to understand the life as it is. not the "Life is peaceful". no
hmmmmm

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I feel for you GypsK, i know exactly what you mean. I am lucky enough to have a wife who not just understands but actually agrees with me. The rest of my family think im nuts haha!!

I started preparing for SitX about 5 years ago and, at first, i would tell people (friends/work colleagues) about my thoughts. I have now given up telling people, it’s not worth the hassle. I know that sounds a bit cold but I’m fed up of being ridiculed for trying to help others.

I find that most of the people who think im nuts are usually the ones who have most faith in the "system"!! They normally say things like...

"Oh but THEY would never allow that to happen"

And...

"They must have something hidden away to protect us, It would never come to that"

When you expose the frailty of our way of life people tend to clam up or shout you down... it is never nice to have their warm bubble popped.

It amazes me how much faith people have in the system/government and how completely inept they have become because of this fake bubble they live in. I fear if something big did happen most people would die sitting in their armchairs watching TV... waiting for it to tell them what to do.

I must admit though... some of the theory’s/ideas i read on these forums do make me question the authors sanity hehe...
I try not to get too carried away with it all, I don’t know about reptilians or green space monkeys taking over the USA in an attempt to enslave the human race. But I do know what history has shown me...

1) Governments and authorities cannot be trusted.
2) Major catastrophic events have happened in the past and will happen again.

Stick to your guns... don’t be bullied into system dependence... be prepared and watch for the warning signs.

Good Luck

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Well, my wife used to call me nuts, but we had a power outage a while ago, and the reltivly small preperations i made (stocking some supplies, batteries, backup power supplies candles, extra wood for the fireplace and so on) proved to be very useful. So now i''m in charge of 'Offical Cappuccino Family Survival Brigade'

I proved my point. My advice: next time you want to convince someone, fix a poweroutage

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
My dear mother, full of compassion, admires my determination yet refuses to stock up or prepare. born during the great depression, she feels it or any major disaster will not happen here.

My brother will not even discuss preparedness because his family is going to be "raptured" so why bother.

My children think dad is cool yet do not take stock in my plans.

All but a couple of my friends take me seriously and are doing their preparations.

If TSHTF I guess I will have to take care of not only of my children, but all of the above.

As a young boy scout the first thing you learn is "be prepared".

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by cnichols
Seriously if it's an issue that causes problems tell him you want to be prepared in case of a "natural" disaster. It never hurts to have extra food on hand.
What if one of you looses a job? You now have food to sustain you until you can find work.

I have a rotation system for the food, so as long as I don't let it go bad he just shakes his head at it... The big issue is that caravan,
I rather have him trowing away the food then selling my bug out place. And that he thinks is 'overreacting'.

Originally posted by Locke23
when I see people still livin without knowin any of this,they think their community is fine and all ,well its not.not always anyway. call me crazy do whatever you want I dont care
cause we are the people who KNOW at least enough to understand the life as it is. not the "Life is peaceful".

exactly!
that's the thought that made me write 'ignorance is bliss' in my signature.
But imagine that at some point in the future something does happen... and all those people that make fun of us now, they didn't prepare... they know you did, so they'll be coming at your doorstep. At least familly will.
How do you react then?

Originally posted by Muckster
I feel for you GypsK, i know exactly what you mean. I am lucky enough to have a wife who not just understands but actually agrees with me. The rest of my family think im nuts haha!!
I started preparing for SitX about 5 years ago and, at first, i would tell people (friends/work colleagues) about my thoughts. I have now given up telling people, it’s not worth the hassle. I know that sounds a bit cold but I’m fed up of being ridiculed for trying to help others.
It amazes me how much faith people have in the system/government and how completely inept they have become because of this fake bubble they live in. I fear if something big did happen most people would die sitting in their armchairs watching TV... waiting for it to tell them what to do.

I must admit though... some of the theory’s/ideas i read on these forums do make me question the authors sanity hehe...
I try not to get too carried away with it all, I don’t know about reptilians or green space monkeys taking over the USA in an attempt to enslave the human race. But I do know what history has shown me...

Stick to your guns... don’t be bullied into system dependence... be prepared and watch for the warning signs.

Good Luck

wow, it's cool that your wife agrees with you!
I never told anyone about it, exept for my sister and now she's stocking up herself. I don't know what the rest of the family thinks about it, but concidering that they don't even have Internet at home I guess they are
like those who will be sitting in their chairs, waiting.

thanks for the heads up

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Here is what you should tell him:

You should tell him that he is supposed to be the protector - the man.

He is the one who should be doing this. Does the global economic depression not faze him?

Tell him that since he has not been willing to take measures to ensure the safety of his family that you have taken it upon yourself.

Tell him that you didn't say anything earlier because you didn't want to emasculate him or chastise him for neglecting his duties as a protector.

The world is going through an economic depression, the country gets worse everyday. Inflation will start soon enough.

Tell him that you have made the preparations you would have expected him him to make when you married him. Tell that if something happens, he doesn't have to eat your stored food or drink your stored water if he doesn't want to.

*You are right to do what you are doing. He is wrong to leave it up to you to ensure the survival of your family.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by cappuccino

hehe that's a great story

Guess one of those days I'll be sticking my head in the fusebox

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Here is what you should tell him:

You should tell him that he is supposed to be the protector - the man.

He is the one who should be doing this. Does the global economic depression not faze him?

Tell him that since he has not been willing to take measures to ensure the safety of his family that you have taken it upon yourself.

Tell him that you didn't say anything earlier because you didn't want to emasculate him or chastise him for neglecting his duties as a protector.

Tell him that you have made the preparations you would have expected him him to make when you married him. Tell that if something happens, he doesn't have to eat your stored food or drink your stored water if he doesn't want to.

*You are right to do what you are doing. He is wrong to leave it up to you to ensure the survival of your family.

I'm sure you know NOT to tell him these things unless, of course, you want a divorce, lol.

What I do is spoon feed information to all my people in little bitty bits. That way, it's desensitizing them to the "crazy" aspect. Just little bitty bits from time to time until they can "stomach" more.

Hang in there...

Edit to add: By doing this you can also kind of feel them out to see what they're thinking too. I've been surprised by some of my people that they are actually aware in the back of their minds of some things but also don't want to seem crazy so they keep quiet too.

My 82 year old father, for example, is quite concerned with government intervention and has been for some time but I never knew it. My mother, on the other hand, is aware of it but still thinks nothing out of the ordinary will happen.

Varying degrees of awareness you'll find but at least you'll know where they stand at the moment and will know how much you can "feed" them.

[edit on 5/5/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I get what your saying...
But don't understand me wrong, he's not a bad man.
He is succesfully running his own bussiness while I'm not working atm. Even when the crisis hits every bussiness around us (I had to close my own store last year) ... and he trives on that success. So as far as he's concerned: he's doing good. In his mind he is taking care of his family by bringing in money and making sure we have a roof over our heads... and that's the way most people think.

On the other hand, when it comes to hanging up a shelve in the house, I'm the one to do it... I'm the one who paints, drills holes in the wall to hang up a frame, etc. He never took the effort of doing or learning that stuff. I don't really mind as long as he let's me do my thing.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Gypsk, see above, I think we cross posted, and I WANT TO BE HEARD! Lol, just kidding...

Cheers...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Heard ya!

spoon feeding is not a bad idea, though I have to watch what I say around my 11 y old kid, don't want to scare her.

My father, although he doesn't think disaster will strike us, has always warned me about government intervention. I don't know exactly where he gets his ideas, but I do know that he managed to become non-existent. I don't think he did something wrong, he just has a 'hatred' towards gov's and everything related. Now he lives a very simple life in a wooden cabin and tries to keep away from society. Come to think of it, he's the one who talked me into buying that caravan (for vacation purpouses)... maybe I should have a little chat with daddy one of these days

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hi GypsK, you are just fine you are preparing for the worst scenario it is called the survival instinct. Do not harp on what you are doing for survival preparedness to your husband since he knows what you are doing.

Deep down I believe he is probably afraid what could happen in the future and does not want to face reality. He is too busy running a business and does not want or have time to think about the matter. This is total negativity to him so keep doing what you have been doing put a little aside to be prepared when the SHTF.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If I were still married to my ex, he'd be the exact same as your hubby. I would stand firm (loving, but firm) about it. Mix and match from these posters' ideas, and hang on tight to that bug out place!

Just think how horrible it would be IF the SHTF and he had sold it. You wouldn't want to say, 'told ya so...' The real thing here is that we all believe you will need that place ... your hubby doesn't ... I think you just need to work on him a bit more, it really is a necessity now.

I have taken to spoon feeding people, as well. My old style doesn't really work. They will look at you like a loon, and they will say that there is no need to worry, 'there are checks and balances in place to prevent anything like that from ever happening.' I want to strangle them.
But I don't, I just add tidbits to conversations here and there, and sometimes I am blown away when one of them jumps on my bandwagon!

Good luck to you .. and it sounds like you may want to have that chat with your dad!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Uk based survival forum....please take a look prepared2survive.phpbbhosts.co.uk...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join