It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie gov't: American power fading

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Aussie gov't: American power fading

www.turkishweekly.net

If the last 100 years could be called the American Century, don’t bet on that holding true for the next 100 years. That assessment doesn’t come from one of our enemies or adversaries, but from one of our closest allies. Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd warns his nation that they can no longer rely on American power to protect them, and that they had better rethink their defense policies:

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
THE Rudd Government has acknowledged that the supremacy of the US has begun to fade and Australia is preparing for an uncertain future in which it can no longer rely on the protection of its main ally.

In a fundamental shift in defence plans, the Government has explicitly declared that US primacy in the Asia-Pacific - the bedrock of the nation’s security since World War II - may be ending. The change, caused by the rise of new great powers such as China, is set to produce growing regional tensions and a “sudden deterioration” in Australia’s security.

In a fundamental shift in defence plans, the Government has explicitly declared that US primacy in the Asia-Pacific - the bedrock of the nation’s security since World War II - may be ending. The change, caused by the rise of new great powers such as China, is set to produce growing regional tensions and a “sudden deterioration” in Australia’s security.

Australia has grown much more concerned about the Chinese military build-up, especially in their blue-water navy, which has gone mainly unexplained. They predict that the Chinese will eclipse the US in the Pacific Rim by 2030, and that their vital defense lifeline may no longer exist. Rudd doesn’t foresee hostilities between Australia and China, but he wants to prepare their defense strategy in case China decides to flex its muscles.

www.turkishweekly.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is what i have been telling people for a while, that our country is losing power and respect around the world. Now with Obama bowing to world leaders and the like countries that used to fear us are beginning to not be afraid of us. How are we goignt to solve this problem?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Fading?

American power is damn near invisible.

From an American!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

It will happen LONG before 2030,

In the cold war between Russia and the US , the US only won because they

outspent Russia, Russia's GNP couldn't sustain the arms race

Now the US has maxed all its credit cards , it will be living in a trailer now,

while the new Lords , the Chinese will TELL them what to do

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hurrah !!

Maybe now we'll stop getting the blame every time someone trips over a rock.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Doubtful that the haters will ever learn not to hate. Instead of "The U.S. is causing all the world's war, poverty, and suffering!" it will be "The U.S. ruined our economy and let the Chinese rise to power!"

I think the scenario with China taking over the Pacific by 2030 relies heavily on speculation that some of our new warships that are still in development will be shelved. I suspect that realistically, those projects will merely be postponed about 4 years or so.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The link does not match the story.

Whats the deal?

[edit on 4-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Whats the deal?

Tell me what you know of Chinese foriegn policy over say the last thousand years - I bet it is exactly nothing. Your country executes more people per capita, has more people in jail by sheer volume and has invaded over 100 countries in the past 50 years overtly and almost 200 covert/overt combined.
China has reasserted sovereignty over countries such as Taiwan and Tibet which were traditionally part of their make up prior to American / British intervention when you tried to FORCE THE CHINESE TO USE DRUGS TO PAY FOR YOUR IMPORTS OF SPICE AND TEA - wow...

Of course the great leap forward failed miserably, no doubt, the gang of four was corrupt however nothing compares to the AMericans reign of terror - The Chinese have been the most powerful nation in world history by far and away longer than any other nation ever - but you wouldn't know squat about any history beyond your own myopic, solipsist interpretation of things would you.....
So lets have it buddy - lets hear what you know of Chinese foriegn policy becuase this si going to be great for a laugh...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

WOW

You got all of that out of my questioning why the link does not match the post.

I'm impressed.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by audas

So while you've been happily living in a country (I'm guessing here) kept safe by American military might you now jump up and scream about history?

History is the past and while China may be getting stronger and Americas perceived might is shrinking, don't kid yourself for one minute that the reason the world is not dominated by the Soviets and/or the Chinese is, and will remain, American power!

So they ruled the middle ages in their part of the word they have never dominated the globe.

Americas finacial trouble is centered on spending enough to keep the world safe, which is leading to the rise of the Chinese. Don't you think that if the actually tested our power they would find it still intact?

Just one proud Americans opinion, do with it what you will/

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracySquid7
How are we goignt to solve this problem?

Every empire comes to an end, uncapped capitalism brought the US empire to an end quicker than most.. Obama is doing the correct thing.. making friends instead of giving everyone else the finger like Bush did. This is the only way for the US to guarantee its credibility amongst the rest of the worlds blocs in the next couple of decades.

He realizes that the US needs friends.. not just "allies" and "special agreements".. its going to come down to the US, EU, Canada & Australia as an allied bloc and China, Russia and South America as the opposite bloc.. both massively tied in economics but still paranoid of each other and always with a distant possibility of military confrontations.

As an American, im sure this seems like a scary time for you.. don't worry.. everything will be exactly the same for you.. people around the world will actually respect americans more as individuals instead of instantly disliking them because of what their government does and country has begun to represent. This is a good thing for the people of your country.. believe me, iv seen this crap with the Brits and French when they lost their empires.. it took them a while to get over it but they did.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Doubtful that the haters will ever learn not to hate. Instead of "The U.S. is causing all the world's war, poverty, and suffering!" it will be "The U.S. ruined our economy and let the Chinese rise to power!"

Eh? Most people on this planet are looking forward to China becoming one of the dominant forces.. it'll actually mean more stability on the planet.. not just the US government, army and corporations running riot. As an American, you probably don't realize this but it is fact.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Originally posted by Dermo

As Americans.

We should listen to him he speaks for the whole world

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas

Whats the deal?

Tell me what you know of Chinese foriegn policy over say the last thousand years - I bet it is exactly nothing. Your country executes more people per capita, has more people in jail by sheer volume and has invaded over 100 countries in the past 50 years overtly and almost 200 covert/overt combined.
China has reasserted sovereignty over countries such as Taiwan and Tibet which were traditionally part of their make up prior to American / British intervention when you tried to FORCE THE CHINESE TO USE DRUGS TO PAY FOR YOUR IMPORTS OF SPICE AND TEA - wow...

Of course the great leap forward failed miserably, no doubt, the gang of four was corrupt however nothing compares to the AMericans reign of terror - The Chinese have been the most powerful nation in world history by far and away longer than any other nation ever - but you wouldn't know squat about any history beyond your own myopic, solipsist interpretation of things would you.....
So lets have it buddy - lets hear what you know of Chinese foriegn policy becuase this si going to be great for a laugh...

WTF..?

What was that all about..? How mental...

Here you go - have some more wood chips...bet you miss 'em.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12dd373fe485.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

As Americans.

We should listen to him he speaks for the whole world

Well you might realize these thing but a lot of your fellow country folk are brain dead to the concept that their country might have become the 21st century Nazi Germany.

"As Americans" that is

[edit on 4/5/09 by Dermo]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I don't mean to be obtuse, but what in the hell are you talking about?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Man...

I'm telling you this thread should be nominated to the ATS Hall of Shame for the most dysfunctional posting.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Well, as an American I'm perfectly aware of the brainwashing that goes on in U.S. media. However, as an American, I tend to check ATS for news before CNN. Let's face it... if there was ever a place where anti-American "breaking news" could be gathered to thunderous applause, it's here at ATS. I guess I just like to hear "the other side of the story."

Nevertheless, I think that anyone who eagerly awaits the day the Chinese rule the world is going to learn the whole "careful what you wish for" lesson rather quickly if it ever actually happens. The world would be trading Ruby Ridge for Tienanmen Square.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
OK I have to ask...

Pulls out his tin Foil hat and snuggles into it.

This is like the fourth or fifth thread regarding the "NEW" Chinese threat in the Pacific. How many times will this type of thread be posted. Because I'm starting to think it's because of one of two reasons.

Either this is an internet Communist plot to bolster an Image of China as a up coming super power or it's a CIA plot to try and scare Americans into thinking that we need to spend "more" money on Defense from a "Growing" Threat either way I say it's BS.

I'm glad the Australians feel the need to build up their Navy. In my humble opinion that's a good thing. The US has been shouldering the responsibility for more than a few decades. It's funny China wants a deep water navy I say have at it. It's not like the US and her navy will shrivel up and wither away.

# Enterprise-class (1 in commission)
# Nimitz-class (10 in commission)
# Gerald R. Ford-class(1 under construction, at least 2 more planned)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join