It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Expedition Will Seek to Find Noah's Ark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040426/ap_on_sc/noah_s_ark

WASHINGTON - An expedition is being planned for this summer to the upper reaches of Turkey's Mount Ararat where organizers hope to prove an object nestled amid the snow and ice is Noah's Ark.

A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous trek up Turkey's tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet, from July 15 to August 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock_The Trinity Corporation of Honolulu, Hawaii.

The goal: to enter what they believe to be a mammoth structure some 45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long that was exposed in part by last summer's heat wave in Europe.

"We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it," McGivern said.

Explorers have long searched for an ark on the high slopes of Mount Ararat, where the biblical account of the Great Flood places it.

In 1957, Turkish air force pilots spotted a boat-shaped formation in Agri province. The government did not pursue the sighting, however. The entire area, including Mount Ararat, was off limits to foreigners because of Soviet complaints that explorers were U.S. spies.

That ban was lifted in 1982, and since then teams of explorers have visited the area but have been unable to substantiate any claim of an ark.

McGivern and Ahmet Ali Arslan, a Turkish mountain climber who grew up in a town near Mount Ararat, say satellite photos have helped them pinpoint a more exact location. Arslan will be leading the expedition.

The biblical account in the Book of Genesis says that after the great deluge, the ark came to rest on the mountain with Noah's family and a cargo of male and female pairs of every kind of animal.

Geologists say even though there is evidence of a flood in Mesopotamia in Sumerian times, it is not possible for a ship to make landfall at an altitude as high as Mount Ararat.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ctrl-C.....Ctrl-V....
Excellent job of using the copy-paste features of Windows. *Applause*

For an actual discussion on this topic see
New Satallite Photos Could Pinpoint Location of Noah's Ark

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hi zerotime!

Already covered in an earlier post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting find, nevertheless

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
Hi zerotime!
Already covered in an earlier post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, It's fine to post this in here to discuss a religious conspiracy spin on the topic. (Thus the name of the forum) Pasting a news article into a forum is not the way to start though. When you add a new topic you'll see this text at the top

"MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item."

This is an interesting subject, but no discussion has taken place yet.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Interesting... Noah's Ark = SpaceShip from Mars...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well, I thought it fit a little better here in the Religion & Spiritualism section than in the Terror Analysis section or even in the Ancient & Lost Civilizations section.

There are endless conspiracies about Noah's ark. Posters can discuss them and what this Expedition means, if anything.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Would Noah's ark be even around still?

What if it was set on fire?

What if aliens took it?

What if it collapsed under the weight of the sea?

What if it was already discovered?

I would like to know the answers to these questions.

Remember Deny ignorance!

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Good questions. I really don't know how I feel about Noah's Ark.

I guess if a prehistoric man can be preserved in ice for thousands of years then wood probably could also be somewhat preserved, but that is just my best guess. I have no scientific theory to prove it.

I have wondered if Noahs Ark was true wouldn't they just break up the Ark and use the wood to make houses? They would be the only people on Earth at the time if the story was true and would the trees that are left be any good after being under water for 40 days? It seems to be the smartest thing to do would be to break apart the Ark and use the wood from it.

The alien spaceship idea is also interesting. Is the spaceship the Ark? Or did a ship just happen to crash on that mountain?

If someone did carry down a 450 foot wooden boat from Mount Ararat would that change anyone's opinions about the Bible?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There is Scientific proof that there never was any Gigantic World Flood 2300 BC... So what did they use the "wooden ark for"?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Cardu: Do you have references so that information can be debated?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I can't wait to see the ark. If they find an ark on that mountain, I might stop being so critical of religion. If they find one big enough to house two of every kind of animal that exists today, I will stop being so critical or religion.

You see, according to Christians, evolution cannot occur. So, therefore every animal that walks the land today, must have walked the land at that time. So, Noah had a lot of hauling to do.

I had an aquaintance tell me how there was scientific proof that this was actually the ark. I am truly happy that someone is going up there to get this problem cleared up.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I hope the ark is not what we expect it to be I hope it is a space craft...
for it isn't possible for the sea's and oceans to go and rice as high 5165 m even not if all polar caps melt and the ice/snow tops of the mountains around the world... we can see this because it is currently allmost gone some parts of the polar regions and even now it isn't as high as that... it is impossible only way for a man made object to get on top of a mountain that high is flying. or a tsunami... but the bible speaks of a flood and 40 days of rain... so it isn't a tsunami ect...

AF1

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I hope they have luck!

I doubt they'll find anything of signifigance though. In order for Noah's Ark to be true some things need to be taken into account. Genesis mentions that the waters were a mile higher than the tallest mountain, or something like that? So water six miles deep covered the earth. With the vast majority of the earth relatively close to sea level, each spot on earth received an average of about 38000 inches of rain fell over a 40 day period. Roughly 1000 inches per day, 41 inches per hour, .70 inches per minute over every square inch of the planet. Where exactly did ALL that water go (and where did it come from)?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cardu
Interesting... Noah's Ark = SpaceShip from Mars...

It seems impossible to have two of each kind of animal on an ark. If it was possible, how can Noah build an ark that big by himself and you need to feed them, thats like thousands of pounds of food. I don't know if it was a spaceship, because it was something he built.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I could think of better things to spend countless amonuts of dollars on...like starving children, job creation, health care etc. To spend money to go looking for a boat that has no meaning to bear for the people who could really use it for their existence.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
I could think of better things to spend countless amonuts of dollars on...like starving children, job creation, health care etc. To spend money to go looking for a boat that has no meaning to bear for the people who could really use it for their existence.

I agree.

What exactly is the point in searching for a vessels that lives only in the heart of fiction ?

Countless millions of dollars used to fund an expedition simply because these stories of fiction seemed to becoming nothing more than a simple vestige.

Deep

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ive noted numerous postings wondering where the water for the Biblical deluge may have come from.The Genesis account talks about the waters in the firmament.Numerous theories discuss the prospect of the earth Before the flood being surronded by a shell of water vapour which reugalted the planets tempertaure.This wold also account for the higher CO2 levels that existed, a condition which which heps both animals and plants to grow to larger sizes thana re capable today.Henc the great size of Dinosaur.Theolgoians generally discount the idea that all animals entered the ark,hence the demise of the large reptiles.
Fossilisation,particularly of larger animals can only ocur if such creatures are covered rapidly by large volumes of soil.Given the average annual deposit of soil recorded today it would be impossible for a cat laying down to be fossilesed under such normal condiiotns.The corpse would have long been eaten\rotted away.Whole herds of Dinosuar have been found all lying in th same direction as if swept aside by a large volume of water or other viscous material.Thsi gives credence to the idea of a cataclysmic flood and geologist agree that the evaporation of the firmanenmt waters and dereugaltion of temperature would be a likely cause of ice Age conditions.In theory many bases are covered by the deluge idea.
As for the viability if the Ark,John woodmarope has writteb a good treatise on the subject

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I love it when this happens....

A good thread is started, lots of replies... a couple of days later, oh here's another new thread of the same subject, so a mod tells the person of the new thread, it's already being discussed.... even gives link to the first thread...

but wait, instead of heading over to that first thread and adding to that, nooooo people continue to post in the duplicate thread..

I'd bet it would be amazing, the conversations and information that could be had here if we could stick to following the rules, guidlines and advice...

okay, back to discussion, I feel better now..

new topics

top topics

join