It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONS: H1N1 Flu: A Tale of Evolution, Economics, Power Politics and International Law.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It has been over two years since this study was published. Why isn’t the CDC doing the same experiment with the adjuvant load from their recommended vaccine schedule?

In the irritant category the most common adjuvants used in vaccines your child will get are salts of aluminum (aluminum phosphate and aluminum hydroxide). The safety of aluminum salts has been called into question following the poor health of many Gulf War Veterans who received multiple aluminum adjuvant vaccinations. Many scientists consider that their poor health was caused by the adjuvants in the vaccines they were given. In 2003 French researchers identified aluminum hydroxide vaccine adjuvants as the cause of a new disease consisting of pain and chronic fatigue; noting similarities to problems in Gulf War soldiers.

In a recent study mice were given aluminum hydroxide at doses comparable to Gulf War soldiers. Extensive testing was done of their cognitive ability as well as analysis of the nervous system upon sacrifice. The results showed that aluminum hydroxide caused nerve-related motor defects. Analysis of brain tissue showed 255% increase in inflammatory markers along with 35% loss of motor neurons.

www.newswithviews.com...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Have you ever noticed how long it takes for the mainstream media to catch up with ATS?

CDC: H1N1 Genes Went Undetected For A Decade

Genes included in the new swine flu may have been circulating undetected in pigs for at least a decade, according to researchers who have sequenced the genomes of more than 50 samples of the virus.

The findings suggest that pig populations need to be more closely monitored in the future for emerging influenza viruses, said a team led by Rebecca Garten of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in a report released Friday by the journal Science.

Triple reassortant swine influenza A viruses that contain genes from avian, human, and swine influenza viruses emerged and became predominant in North American pig herds by the late 1990s and have been detected in humans 11 times since 2005, authors from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state health departments reported today.

"Our findings underscore the need for close communication and collaboration between human and animal health agencies for ongoing surveillance, investigation, research, prevention, and control efforts," the group wrote.

Study probes patterns in previous triple-reassortant swine flu infections. URL

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Many members here are still fixated on the idea of "single-cause, single-effect." And it would be nice if we could identify a single enemy, kill it, and proceed all fixed.

But it's too late.

In the context of the whole system, bio-weapons are only one factor - and at this point, a relatively small factor.

Virtually every industry, not just the military-industrial complex, has altered the chemical and atomic structures of our planetary system. Now, the entire system is changing. As evidenced by the current pandemic and the coming 'waves.'

To survive, we must change too. At fairly fundamental levels. It's called adaptation and evolution.

Viruses and microbes reproduce quickly, and so, mutate and evolve rapidly. In effect, they are the 'messengers' that bring the new atomic factors into complex organisms' bodies - as 'disease' - and force adaptation to the changed system, or cause death.

Think supra-organism.

A supraorganism is an individual organism that contains many independent and interdependent organisms that form a biological interaction network in and out of its body.

For example, a human being is a supraorganism that contains bacteria, virus, fungi, and animals in his/her skin and internal organs.

Given that we, as supraorganisms, are made of cooperating bacteria, viruses, fungi and other microbes, then we must assimilate the newcomers to survive on our now-modified planet.

We are part of the whole, and we changed the whole - in a million different ways. Now we need to change too.

FYI - we can. We, as complex living organisms, are designed to assimilate, integrate, adapt and evolve. Life DOES find a way.

For more info, see: How Could an Event in 1997 Cause a Pandemic in 2009? What Happened?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
In 2006, at the same time as Asia was culling chickens by the millions to prevent H5N1 bird flu from spreading, triple assortment H1N1 swine flu was epidemic in hogs in the USA, and was known to spread between people. But no one knew about it except the microbiologists and a few upper level bureaucrats.

When a disease can spread between people and animals, AND person-to-person, the pandemic potential rises exponentially.

Microbiologists have long predicted such a "A Perfect Microbial Storm."

Bird flu may be the tip of the iceberg. Experts meeting in Mali say the deadly H5N1 virus is just one of a plethora of diseases threatening animals and people around the world as global warming, intensive farming, increased travel and trade help dangerous microbes breed and spread.

"Almost every year there is a new disease appearing, and 75 percent of these emerging or re-emerging diseases are coming from animals; 80 percent of those have zoonotic potential," he said in an interview. ...Le Gall said such zoonoses - animal diseases that humans can also catch - included Rift Valley fever, rabies and anthrax. ..."These could come together to create what the experts are calling 'the perfect microbial storm'," he said. ...What singles out bird flu is the potential of the virus to mutate into a human form of influenza capable of passing from person to person, not just from infected animals.

"Remember that with globalisation, and unprecedented movements of merchandise, of people, there is a continuous transfer of pathogens," Bernard Vallat, director general of the World Organization for Animal Health, told Reuters. ..."This is made worse by climate change. Many disease vectors have colonised new territories," Vallat said. ...West Nile Disease, which affects birds and was first found in Egypt and is spread by mosquitoes, has killed hundreds of people in the United States since it first spread there in 1999 - probably via an imported pet bird, Vallat said. ..."Now the United States is completely infected, as well as southern Canada and Mexico. In a few years this disease which was completely unknown (there) has colonised all the eastern United States via a mosquito vector," he said. ..."Microbes can cross the world in a few hours,"...

www.reuters.com...
Fri Dec 8, 2006

Back in 2006, all eyes were on H5N1 bird flu in Asia as the big threat. Bird flu wasn't spreading between people, but the only question was, "When will it happen?"

At the same time, triple assortment H1N1 swine flu had gained a serious foothold in the USA, and was known to spread between people. But nobody except the microbiologists and a few upper level bureaucrats knew about it. There was a presidential gag order, and the US still had not signed on to the World Health Organization's new regs.

"...the 1998 isolate, A/Wisconsin/10/98, (an H1N1 swine flu infecting a human), ...was a reassortant that contained a mixture of swine, human, and avian influenza A virus genes.
...Reassortant viruses with human influenza A H3 and N2 surface glycoproteins and internal protein genes of swine, avian and human influenza A viruses were recently isolated in the US from multiple outbreaks of respiratory disease in pigs.
...The genotype of A/Wisconsin/10/98 provides further evidence for reassortment between avian, human and swine influenza A viruses and demonstrates that such reassortant viruses can infect humans."

Source: 1999 Virus Evolution Workshop. Molecular characterization of human influenza A viruses bearing swine-like hemagglutinin genes Abstract

2004 Study data suggest that swine workers and their nonswine-exposed spouses are at increased risk of zoonotic influenza virus infections."

Source: Emerg Infect Dis. 2007 Dec;13(12):1871-8. Swine workers and swine influenza virus infections. PMID: 18258038

In fact, the Bush administration KNEW that several triple assortment swine flu strains were spreading in the USA between people and animals - and between people and people - during negotiations with the WHO about the new pandemic risk/reporting regulations.

The Bush administration stalled approval of the WHO's 2005 revised regs to negotiate and ensure protections for global corporate industry - and prioritize profits over people and public health.

Negotiations were not finalized and the agreement was not signed until 2007 - long after US triple assortment swine flu had time to spread around the world and mutate into even more dangerous forms.

January, 2007 United States Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists Interim Position Statement. Pdf Link

In fact, most, if not all major parties are committed to protecting corporate rights, and ensuring the expansion and continuation of laws to protect profits over people.

But it's not a conspiracy - just good business.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
In Europe, the Swiss group Avaaz.org has launched a petition demanding that the WHO and the UN’s FAO take action to investigate links between industrial hog operations and swine flu.

Europeans demand investigation of the CAFO/swine flu link

the only scientists swarming around La Gloria, Mexico—where the flu evidently broke out in the shadow of massive Smithfield hog operations—are from the biotech industry, not the World Health Organization. And they’re training their testtubes on backyard hog farms, not Smithfield’s huge confinement facilities!

Here in the U.S., USDA chief Tom Vilsack has been much more zealous about protecting the pork industry than investigating its potential for incubating deadly pandemics. In a Congressional heating last month, he cravenly defended the safety of industrial meat production—even though U.S. regulatory agencies have no mechanism in place to test the U.S. herd for H1N1.

Few outside of a few bloggers seems outraged by this state of affairs here in the U.S. Over in Europe, things are different. The Swiss group Avaaz.org has launched a petition demanding that the WHO and the UN’s FAO take action to investigate links between industrial hog operations and swine flu. Their demand is simple and direct—and it’s a sign of our deregulated times that it has to be made in the first place:

We call on you to investigate and develop regulations for factory farming in accordance with public health safety standards. Food production must be regulated to ensure global health security.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Manitoba just reported 27 new cases of H1N1 swine flu - despite being well past flu season and into summer when flu shouldn't be spreading.

Manitoba confirms 27 new cases of swine flu

The most significant danger H1N1 presents is that it spreads easily between people, and can and will recombine with other viruses to share genetic material. ...As a winter virus, flu has been separated from warm weather viruses, but that's changing.

West Nile virus has been present and spreading in Manitoba for several years, in the summer.

There is now a danger that H1N1 swine flu will recombine with West Nile, and that the two viruses will share genetic material. If they do, H1N1 might acquire West Nile's ability to affect the nervous system - or West Nile might acquire H1N1's ability to spread person-to-person.

The H1N1-West Nile danger in Manitoba is similar to the H1N1-dengue potential in Buenos Aires, the H1N1-H5N1 threat in Asia and the looming H1N1-HIV recombination in Africa.

...The worst scenario is that H1N1 will recombine with another virus that does NOT kill quickly, but rather causes long term debilitation and disability in survivors.

Also see:
Dengue Fever rising in Pacific Rim with Influenza numbers

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Nice Thread, Sofi,

What I find most interesting is the idea of this being a triple recombination of human, avian, and swine flus. I recall that the early reports suggested this, but after running all of the sequence information available, I'm not finding any evidence of it.

What I'm saying is that when I compare the available swine flu sequences, they have the most homology with other swine flu sequences. They in fact, based on my own research had very little homology... like 95% with avian sequences, for example... 95% might sound like a lot, but it's not a good deal of homology.

From my perspective and based on my own sequence analysis, it looks like a recombination of swine flu viruses from North America and Europe.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922

What I find most interesting is the idea of this being a triple recombination of human, avian, and swine flus. I recall that the early reports suggested this, but after running all of the sequence information available, I'm not finding any evidence of it.

What I'm saying is that when I compare the available swine flu sequences, they have the most homology with other swine flu sequences. ...

From my perspective and based on my own sequence analysis, it looks like a recombination of swine flu viruses from North America and Europe.

You're sure you have the right/current sequences?

No homology with human flu?

So how do you account for the easy human-to-human transmission? ...and how do you explain what's going on?

btw - Thanks for the compliment - and your post!

[edit on 4-6-2009 by soficrow]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

You're sure you have the right/current sequences?

Positive. I get 'em sent to me from GISAID as soon as they're done, Ive been downloading them ever since this started. They're publically available now, which they weren't for a few weeks.

No homology with human flu?

Down the line a ways... but most homology with other swine flus.

So how do you account for the easy human-to-human transmission? ...and how do you explain what's going on?

I don't proclaim to have the answer to either of these questions. I'm just telling you what my own data analysis suggests. Keeping in mind I'm only a molecular biologist, not a virologist

[edit on 4-6-2009 by soficrow]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mattison0922

Molecular biologists are welcome here.

This analysis is on another thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

According to a chart Roses Periago presented, the virus is made up of 34.4 percent avian flu virus, 30.6 percent North American swine flu virus, 17.5 percent Eurasian swine flu virus and 17.5 percent human flu virus.

...Are your results different? Or is this what's been circulating in hogs for a while now, and only just spreading to humans?

...I am also thinking about your (really good) explanation of antibiotic resistance. Could the same or similar process(es) be in play with cross-species infection?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Molecular biologists are welcome here.

Thanks. We're not generally welcome anywhere

This analysis is on another thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

According to a chart Roses Periago presented, the virus is made up of 34.4 percent avian flu virus, 30.6 percent North American swine flu virus, 17.5 percent Eurasian swine flu virus and 17.5 percent human flu virus.

Yeah... this data has been making me mad for a while now... I've not seen this chart, so I don't know what to make of it. I will say this: The only sequences I have available are the actual protein coding sequences, any intervening sequences, non-coding sequences that make up the structure of the genome are not available, and there are no "whole genome" assemblies.

To tell you the truth that's what I'm interested in seeing, if there's any sign of monkeying around with the genetics of this virus, it's going to show up in those intervening sequences.

if they have access to those, then the data may shake out differently.

...I am also thinking about your (really good) explanation of antibiotic resistance. Could the same or similar process(es) be in play with cross-species infection?
Perhaps, and thanks, but which processes specifically are you referring to?

BTW, I'll look over your other swine flu thread... I'm pretty busy these days though, and, Melatonin just replied to my resistance thread. I'll have to sort through what he's posted even though I imagine he's countering my 2009 paper with older papers, but what can you do. But in any case, I'll certainly take a look at it.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

"H1N1 swine flu probably will meet up with H5N1 bird flu or some other bug like SARS or AIDS, and maybe use pigs as a mixing vessel for re-assortment, or maybe not."

To go from discussing genetic transfer in vivo between Type A influenza viruses to predicting transfer of genes in vivo between Type A viruses and coronaviruses like SARS and retroviruses like AIDS is a huge leap unsupported by scientific fact. In fact, it's not even good conjecture.

That one sentence mars what in general is a good, though somewhat hysterical, analysis of how animal husbandry amplifies the hazard of new microbiological threats to humans.

The bit about the Bilderbergers didn't help your cause - we don't KNOW that they do anything but smoke Cuban cigars and drink fine whisky in posh resorts once a year. The substitution of global law passed in dark corridors for national law argued in legislatures by our representatives has to be better documented before it can be used to buttress arguments that "they" are writing international law which guarantees the emergence of new lethal human viruses. Your article founders on that rock.

If you want people to take you seriously, stick to the irrefutable facts, and there are plenty - as your article shows - that SOMEHOW, animal husbandry has been centralized and channeled into a for-profit game that places the population at risk of dying from lethal zoonotic infections that cross the species barrier into humans. You could have pruned the classical conspiracy theory from your analysis and made your article both more readable and more credible.

Too much of a good thing is sometimes less good than just enough.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by Murky]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murky

"H1N1 swine flu probably will meet up with H5N1 bird flu or some other bug like SARS or AIDS, and maybe use pigs as a mixing vessel for re-assortment, or maybe not."

To go from discussing genetic transfer in vivo between Type A influenza viruses to predicting transfer of genes in vivo between Type A viruses and coronaviruses like SARS and retroviruses like AIDS is a huge leap unsupported by scientific fact. In fact, it's not even good conjecture.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread murky. Much appreciated.

Re: in vivo genetic transfer between species.

FYI - it's already happening. In fact, genetic transfer between super=kingdoms is documented, and now described as "more common than previously thought."

See: How Could an Event in 1997 Cause a Pandemic in 2009? What Happened?

Also note: The potential for H1N1 co-infecting AIDS patients in Africa and resulting in a new disease was one of the earliest concerns expressed by the WHO - and similar to the current TB/HIV crisis.

Public info is fudged to "prevent panic" but the potential is real.

People with HIV more vulnerable to H1N1 flu

What's more worrying is if the two viruses -- HIV and H1N1 -- mix in the environment, much like what's happened with HIV and tuberculosis.

QUESTION: Are you one of those people who think that laboratory procedures cannot occur naturally in the environment? ...or are you more concerned with managing the information flow and implementing an ethically responsible communications strategy?

That one sentence mars what in general is a good, though somewhat hysterical, analysis of how animal husbandry amplifies the hazard of new microbiological threats to humans.

Thank you.

The bit about the Bilderbergers didn't help your cause - we don't KNOW that they do anything but smoke Cuban cigars and drink fine whisky in posh resorts once a year.

True. We don't KNOW anything. ...and was just a bit.

The substitution of global law passed in dark corridors for national law argued in legislatures by our representatives has to be better documented before it can be used to buttress arguments that "they" are writing international law which guarantees the emergence of new lethal human viruses. Your article founders on that rock.

International law is now about supporting trade - out front, no dark corridors - and yes, it DOES supersede national law, and IS written to put profits before people. No doubt. No secret.

Current international (trade) law DOES virtually guarantee the emergence of new lethal human viruses - and moreover, allows them to spread to become pandemic. ...Watch the news.

If you want people to take you seriously, stick to the irrefutable facts, and there are plenty - as your article shows - that SOMEHOW, animal husbandry has been centralized and channeled into a for-profit game that places the population at risk of dying from lethal zoonotic infections that cross the species barrier into humans.

There are plenty of people and organizations in the world addressing this issue, and focusing on the "irrefutable facts." I am not here to tow their party line. I am here to play with idea. ...My work in other areas is much less controversial and speculative, and more 'businesslike.'

You could have pruned the classical conspiracy theory from your analysis and made your article both more readable and more credible.

Actually, this is a conspiracy site - I have to highlight conspiracy. It's one of the rules here. ...In fact, many members here are put-off because the 'conspiracy' angle is no where near substantial enough for their tastes.

But all things considered, including time constraints - the piece is quite reasonably readable and credible.

Too much of a good thing is sometimes less good than just enough.

Agreed. But then again, one does write for the market.

...And I have noticed that the information contained in my article above was indeed re-worked and re-presented appropriately for a variety of markets over the past several weeks.

But thanks again for your very thoughtful commentary. Good stuff.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
My article above outlines the evolution and spread of H1N1 swine flu from 1997.

A new study, published in Nature, confirms my findings. Researchers tracked the genetic handoffs among swine and birds that resulted in this pandemic swine flu virus, now spreading person-to-person around the world.

The study concludes, as I did, that inadequate monitoring of livestock allowed -and actually helped- the virus to evolve and spread, long before it became pandemic.

There is no systematic swine surveillance in agricultural industries in the USA. The lack of regulation allowed this pandemic strain of H1N1 swine flu to persist and evolve for many years - undetected.

Flu Finding Supports ‘One World, One Health’ View of People and Animals

A new study of the evolution of the H1N1 strain of influenza virus that moved from pigs to people this spring and has since spread worldwide reveals the need for taking a “one health” approach to humans and the animals around us, experts suggest. The official decision today by the World Health Organization to designate the current outbreak a global flu pandemic reinforces the point.

The “ one world, one health” initiative is an effort to boost and coordinate surveillance for potentially dangerous viruses and other pathogens that can mix and jump among livestock, birds, agricultural workers and the broader human community. On a planet heading toward nine billion people knit by aviation and trade into a single community, such an approach is vital, according to a growing array of experts.

The new study, published in Nature, traced the sequence of gene handoffs among swine and birds that resulted in the virus that is circulating now in humans. It bluntly concludes that inadequate monitoring of livestock helped the viral threat grow long before the current outbreak.

Despite widespread influenza surveillance in humans, the lack of systematic swine surveillance allowed for the undetected persistence and evolution of this potentially pandemic strain for many years.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The link between factory farming and H1N1 swine flu is further confirmed and clarified in another paper, published by Global Research on July 22, 2009.

What are the Origins of Swine Flu? Is the H1N1 Virus Endemic in Canada's Hog Farms?

...a closer look at the data on H1N1 cases in B.C. and the rest of Canada suggests the pandemic has a much closer relationship with pig farming than suspected. That relationship is especially striking in the most serious cases of the flu that have caused hospitalization and death.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Now this circus is long over and it is really sad that so many believed this nonsense!

As we now know, there never was a pandemic, but it was arranged for big profit for the pharma industries through doubtful remedies and above all harmful vaccines that may even have some unknown but intentional and serious "side effects" of very different kinds than "protection".

I hope people will have learned from it and will refuse participating in new rounds of pandemia scares and, especially, refuse vaccination.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by memyself

Now this circus is long over and it is really sad that so many believed this nonsense!

As I've stated repeatedly and ad nauseum:

The problem is NOT with fatalities but rather with survivors who develop debilitating chronic disease post-infection.

As we now know, there never was a pandemic,

Ahem. There WAS a pandemic, and as a result, H1N1 is now endemic in many parts of the world, including some places where H5N1 was already established. Extremely concerning.

... it was arranged for big profit for the pharma industries through doubtful remedies and above all harmful vaccines

NO.

The predictable and predicted pandemic was allowed to develop because appropriate preventive action would have threatened agricultural industries' profits.

Big Pharma simply grabbed and manipulated the "opportunity" to profit.

(It's not a conspiracy, just good business.)

that may even have some unknown but intentional and serious "side effects" of very different kinds than "protection".

Agreed.

I hope people will have learned from it and will refuse participating in new rounds of pandemia scares and, especially, refuse vaccination.

I hope people will wake up, and learn how industry is changing the biological basis of life, causing new mutations and creating new diseases.

...Agreed that vaccines and most drugs are more dangerous than we know, in more ways than we know.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I refused the H!N1 vaccine last year but had the seasonal flu shot. Well guess what. this year they have combined the 2 vaccines . I think thats a sneaky way to get people to take that vaccine. I'm a diabetic so my immune system is low thats why I would get the seasonal vaccine each year but I don
t think I'll get it this year.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Thanks for your response MagicaRose. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. ...

H1N1 is so widespread it is now pretty much a "seasonal flu" - so it makes sense to combine the vaccines (if you believe in vaccines).

Prevention is always the best treatment, and unfortunately, vaccines remain the only medical option.

I would never presume to advise anyone but personally do not take vaccines. I think the underlying logic is flawed.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join