It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Piezo Acoustic Discovery Substantially Reduces Drag.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
New Discovery Substantially Reduces Air Friction Drag.

New Piezo Acoustic Discovery Substantially Reduces Aircraft Drag Friction.

Air resistance is a major source of drag resulting in energy consumption and fuel usage for aircraft and quadruples with doubling of speed.

As I was lying in bed ,instead of always having sex like everyone else, it occurred to me in a flash about this method of reducing air resistance.

In sexual terms it maybe construed as Piezo Acoustic Lubrication.

Wind tunnel tests conducted by me as a result of this inspiration by me on models fitted with piezo acoustic transducers on inside the hull and fed with various audio and ultrasonic frequencies showed dramatic decreases in air resistance of the model's air resistance as it flew through the air.

It seems that the micro vibration of the hull may make the hull more slippery or in some way the hull vibration amplitude pushes/compresses the air out of the way resulting in considerable reduction in drag varying from 20% to 60%.

Another mechanism may be some kind of resonance phenomenon which allows the aircraft to be more slippery through the air.The acoustic device may be distorting the hull by microscopic amounts could be another mechanism.

Or some kind of micro eddies/vortices might be responsible as has been shown in the small winglets attached to some planes.Another possible mechanism might be electrostatic charge build up due to the vibrations which repels the air or creates a micro air gap.

The piezo transducers are the same as used in toys or electrical devices to make beeping noises/sounds.They were glued solidly onto inside the hull near the front and at other points and then fed various frequencies and waveforms such as sine,square,triangle waveforms at different frequencies.

Piezo disc devices distort when a voltage is applied to the ceramic attached to the usually brass metal disc.If it solidly attached to a another surface then that surface will also distort.

The frequencies generated were from a bog standard laboratory square/sine/triangle waveform generator ranging from 0.1 Hz to 100 kilohertz.These were fed by wires attached to the transducers.

The application of this discovery to both commercial and military aircraft are profound in that the reduction in air resistance will boost speed and reduce fuel consumption and extend range as well as improve maneouverability.

As the frequency required to achieve the lower air resistance varied with wind speed a computer controlled system could easily be used but of course more research is needed in actual aircraft to derive the air resistance versus frequency graphs as well as location parameters which will vary with the shape of the aircraft.

This could also be applied to boats/ships but may cause noise pollution in the ocean disturbing ocean animals.Maybe it could be used in cars but might be too noisy.

I claim exclusive ownership of this discovery and I have submitted papers to my lawyer who has notarized this discovery.

Other people can do similar experiments to confirm this for themselves and report on their results.You can use model aircraft , etc. and bog standard lab equipment.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by esecallum]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

Many individuals believe that a system that produces similiar effects is already in use in the B2 bomber, and many of the various black budget aircraft.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Compliant surfaces as a means of drag reduction were first investigated years ago!

Nothing novel or new in it.

Zero mass flow actuators (usually piezo) are also the subject of much research, not only for drag reductoin, but as controls for missiles etc by inducing an asymmetric drag loading on the missile, inducing yaw/sideslips.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hmmm.... strange.

Quite a coincidence that an article appears on the 01/05/09 news over at Flight Global about Boeing researching "dynamic bumps" (basically oscillating jets of air to reduce drag) that may lead to gains up to and over 7% in drag reduction. And then you make a revolutionary breakthrough using piezo transducers that achieves the same thing within a few days.

Despite the fact that as Kilcoo316 correctly points out such an effect has been known about and researched for years. You are one lucky dude to successfully hit on something that multi billion dollar aerospace companies and research labs have not, especially given that the effect has been known about with common everyday piezo transducers and lab waveform generators for years.

I look forward to you showing us exactly how you have achieved this, after you have patented it of course.

LEE.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I had no idea about oscillating jets of air to reduce drag and to me 7% is not much after all the trouble although other people will disagree.

My method uses solid state piezo transducers and has nothing to do with oscillating jets of air.

I think reduction of drag friction using novel methods should have been a priority long ago.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
My method uses solid state piezo transducers and has nothing to do with oscillating jets of air.

I think with that line you've demonstrated your knowledge on the subject.

A zero mass flow oscillating jet often uses a piezoelectric transducer as its perturber.

As for the last line - barely even worthy of comment. Do you actually think many people have not been investing an awful lot of time and money into drag reduction research?

[edit on 5/5/09 by kilcoo316]

new topics

top topics

join