It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New software set to revolutionize internet search

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

New software set to revolutionize internet search

timesofindia .indiatimes.com

A revolutionary new software that will understand questions and give specific, tailored answers in a way that has never been seen is promising to
shake up the internet.

Experts say that the new system, Wolfram Alpha, to be launched later this month, could put giants like Google in the shade, reports the Independent.

Wolfram Alpha, showcased at Harvard University in the US last week, takes the first step towards what many consider to be the internet’s Holy Grail - a global store of information that understands and responds to ordinary language in the same way a person does.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well, this should get those seo guys out of the wood works and ppc analysts in for a surprise. This could be the merging of all spiders to a single code which can interact with questions and obviously have the ability to evaluate.
Can you even imagine the database this code would be harvesting from online sources and keeping record of what its being asked. In one way it was more less long time overdue, but in its own respects it is a very powerful tool to the those who know how to utilize it.

timesofindia .indiatimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This is one step closer toward artificial intelligence

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I dont know, this sounds scary.
More power, more control, more monitoring.
Im sure it will be a great tool, but I dont know how it will effect "homeland security".

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hello,

Considering the amount of information that this would be fed by some 1 billion plus users a general trend and analysis could be derived just like a simple poll is on any site, but this time round its on a global scale, keep in mind they have mentioned that its in one language but from what i know its destined to be on multiple languages. That is something worth taking note.

The mere thought that students can supply ask the question and they will be supplied with the answer is actually phenomenal.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
www.wolframalpha.com...

We're making early access available to a few select individuals.

Contact us for Information

Wolfram Alpha Blog

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
How does that old saying go? Something like, "The answers don't matter if you can control the questions."

TPTB can have pat answers to any questions asked with a system like this.

The wild west days of the internet are coming to a close. I am grateful that I lived in them.

I wish my children could have had the same experience.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
www.wolframalpha.com...

We're making early access available to a few select individuals.

Contact us for Information

Wolfram Alpha Blog

Oh how stupid of me, i thank you very much for supplying the link.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Does anyone know if this company is publicly traded? I am for seeing stock purchases in my near future.

EDIT: For those interested, they are not.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by king9072]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You should contact a trader, as i have done prior to this post. Either way, i wont be enjoying the spoils of a wise investment but i guess my children will be owning their own jet by the age of 18.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
You should contact a trader, as i have done prior to this post. Either way, i wont be enjoying the spoils of a wise investment but i guess my children will be owning there own jet by the age of 18.

As far as i could find, they are not publically traded.

And, imagine buying google at a couple bucks. WOW. And if you could buy these for a couple bucks right now, it wont be long before you seen upwards of 1000% on your money. Even in your lifetime... barring your already on your death bed....

[edit on 3-5-2009 by king9072]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm certain this will be a marketing success.

Generally speaking, the technorati will ensure it gets enough air time to spawn some kind of revenue flow. Does anyone know where this was incubated?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

You should sack your trader asap.

Check you u2u

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Indeed it does sound promising, given the applications this could be merged into.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Cool, one step closer to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

I think it's important to stay positive about this.. if the right people write the program it would be smart enough to give the best possible answer based on all known information instead of a controlled answer based on someone's opinion (or someone's desire to control information).

Unfortunately in this case, the article mentions "the information is 'curated', meaning it is assessed first by experts. This means that the weaknesses of sites such as Wikipedia, where doubts are cast on the information because anyone can contribute, are taken out"

So the information will still depend on an expert's individual opinion, which means it's no closer to AI than before, just another search engine.

Still though, it may provide the framework on which an AI type serach engine could be developed.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I just happened to come across this ........

A Sneak Preview of Wolfram|Alpha

Presented by Stephen Wolfram.

10 min version.(some screen-shots )
=========================================

Stephen Wolfram discusses Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine

1 hour 45 min.

===========================================

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EverythingYouKnowIsWrong

While sitting back and taking pen to paper like the good old days, the first such application would be towards the visually impaired, allowing them to access far more information than what current methods of teaching are available to the visually impaired.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Does anyone know where this was incubated?

In the mind of Stephen Wolfram

Founder of Wolfram Research

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

If you're looking for publicly traded investment opportunities, you'd probably want to consider genomics. It's posed to revolutionize the medical field every bit as profoundly, if not more-so, than the computer did for the business world. It will become as fundamental a part of our society as the microprocessor. Getting into it now would be like investing in Microsoft when they were just a startup.

The only problem is, it's not a sure bet. There's several competing companies, and not all of them are guaranteed to succeed, or boom. You're going to have to keep your investments agile and do a lot of homework on the companies.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
In my opinion, this software, and other "AI" attempts like it, would be the death of the Internet as we know it... if such systems become popular.

From what I understand, the current heuristic model is something like this...
1 - ask a question
2 - receive the answer, or
3 - refine the question
4 - receive the answer

The process seeks to eliminate connectivity to actual websites by delivering detailed information in response to user questions... information that has been obtained for other websites without those sites experiencing the benefit of user traffic.

Additionally, this and other models are attempting to "legitimize" their efforts by integrating stewards (people) that ensure the information being delivered is correct. Thereby avoiding the "errors" found in Wikipedia.

Products like this seek to be a 1-2-3 punch...
1 - deliver "approved" information
2 - reduce the importance of "the crowd" of user-generated content
3 - remove financial incentives from building and operating web sites

But that's just my take.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join