It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Nelson Plans To Oppose Public Health Plan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

..America just spent hundreds of billions of dollars, on, of all things, bailing out it's banking and financial system. An amount of money that is currently being borrowed from China. An amount of money that would pay for a decent public healthcare system several times over.

Yup, i pointed this out a little earlier, but thank you for validating the opinion.

If the government insists on instituting this program, let them cut expenditures elsewhere to facilitate it, instead of raising taxes.

(from an earlier post i made in the thread)

I agree with you, there are a lot of things the government blows money on that could be used to cover the cost of health care that wouldn't raise taxes.
Just off the top of my head: "the war on drugs." It costs billions, and accomplishes nothing but increasing the amount of violence. But that's just an example, the bailout money would work just as well. Thanks for the reply, star for you.

TA

[edit on 2-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Right, but whose share are the roads that go between states? Or do you not travel to other states? And I'm sure you realize that if your work has to hire a private company to do anything for them, they'll be paying YOU less, not themselves. It'll come out of your wallet and your coworker's wallets. Not theirs.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Right, but whose share are the roads that go between states? Or do you not travel to other states?

That would be worked out among the owners of the companies to whom the roads are sold.

And I'm sure you realize that if your work has to hire a private company to do anything for them, they'll be paying YOU less, not themselves. It'll come out of your wallet and your coworker's wallets. Not theirs.

My issue isn't with paying for my own insurance, my issue is with paying for the insurance of everyone else. I don't care that the company takes the cost of my insurance from my wallet, so long as mine is the only coverage my money is providing.

If i understood your questions correctly, that should answer them. Thanks for the reply, star for you.

TA

Edit for grammar

[edit on 2-5-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

You're not entirely getting it. You'd be paying for your share, and your boss's shares. The people up top will always force the people down low to pay for their problems, too.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm glad he's going to oppose it, and i hope more politicians open their eyes and oppose it also. I can't afford the taxes they force me to pay now, i sure can't afford to pay any more ! I can't afford my own health care how am i gonna pay for someone else's ? If they implement national health care it's going to be a big mistake, people are not going to get the health care that they think they are.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

You're not entirely getting it. You'd be paying for your share, and your boss's shares. The people up top will always force the people down low to pay for their problems, too.

They may, for a while, get away with that, but shady business practices are always exposed and dealt with.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I'm glad he's going to oppose it, and i hope more politicians open their eyes and oppose it also. I can't afford the taxes they force me to pay now, i sure can't afford to pay any more ! I can't afford my own health care how am i gonna pay for someone else's ? If they implement national health care it's going to be a big mistake, people are not going to get the health care that they think they are.

That's the point of socialized medicine: to provide "free" services to those the bureaucrats favor at the expense (in more than one meaning of the word) of those they don't. Thanks for the reply, star for you, friend.

TA

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Under a government system how will they get the illegal aliens to pay for there own insurance.

Or will we be forced to pay for it.

We do not even know who many of the illegals are or what there real names are.

How many illegals will come to the US just for free health care like they do now.

Just ask anyone that works in the medical system along the Mexican border.

A friend is a EMT in San Ysidro Calif and the place that leads the ambulance calls in town is a phone at the bus stop nearest to the border crossing.
About once a week they get a call from customs at the border to come and take a mother to the hospital so she can drop a kid.

These kid are then american citizens and the parents can then use that to get green cards.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

It's not just the border where they do it. My friend's aunt came in from Mexico and stayed with her sister every time she got pregnant (5 kids). She'd wait until she was about five months along and then she'd come in, get public aide, cash, stamps, and medical. She'd have the baby, stay for another month or two and then go back home. The kids are all American citizens, paid for by the American taxpayers, drove my friend crazy every time she did it. Big kick in the butt, this women's husband was the mayor of the town they lived in
they had major money out there, big house,etc.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Under a government system how will they get the illegal aliens to pay for there own insurance.
How many illegals will come to the US just for free health care like they do now.

Sooo...you deny Americans universal health care for fear that illegal aliens might avail themselves of the services, too?

I'm not sure that's whats called a rational argument.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61 I can't afford my own health care how am i gonna pay for someone else's ? If they implement national health care it's going to be a big mistake, people are not going to get the health care that they think they are.

Wouldn't you agree that ANY healthcare is better than none even if it is National healthcare. And actually you are already paying for someone else's healthcare; all our elected officials that have salary's, healthcare etc. payed for by the taxes of the American taxpayer.

All I ask for is the same healthcare I afford my elected officials thru my taxes. I certainly can't afford the "for profit" HMO's with their CEO's making obscene salary's. While they deny care whenever they can.

The Canadian model works for me.

And to deny health care to the citizens of a country because a few illegals might avail themselves of the same system seems a very lame excuse.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have seen the way the government handles all other areas of life and at the end of the day, I do not want them in my personal health care business! The government is incapable of managing anything. Why would some of you want them managing your health? Really, think about it. Think outside the box of "I want my share".

I continually read here about people so paranoid of the government in their lives. Paranoid the government is watching them. Paranoid the government wants to RFID chip them. Paranoid the government intrudes into their privacy (cameras, patriot act and so on). Paranoid the government wants absolute control of them.

Yet you want the government controlling your personal health?

What if the government tells you smokers, "You are no longer allowed to smoke, because it is bad for you." "You are 10lbs overweight, we the government say you can no longer eat certain foods." What if you have anxiety issues and the government says, "This person is mentally unstable, they should be locked up." The list goes on about how the government will get deep into your lives to control you, based on your lifestyle and what they feel is appropriate care for you.

This is what will happen. You will have more restrictions on your life. The restrictions you hate having already!

Really, make up your mind

I will stick with my private health care. At least I know the government does not have its slimy hands all over my file!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I laugh at the libertarians and right-wing spin-outs that FAIL to comprehend the implications of the health care system on thier lives.

Their attachment to their dogma of choice blinds them tot he reality of the current cost of healthcare to us all, every single one of us in this nation, get screwed because the USA is the ONLY developed nation to subscribe to a corporate managed health care systems.

It saps our industry which can not afford to compete with companies from other nations because of the cost of healthcare (US auto manufactures pay more out to health care than steel for the cars).

It spas we the people, the health care providers skim 30%+ off the top of all the money they take in for PROFIT, not for making sure you libertarians dont die....dont forget that, you come SECOND.

Finally in the USA we pay MORE per capital than any other developed nation for LESS care. Go figure.

Me, I am 100% for SINGLE PAYER HEALTH CARE.

SINGLE PAYER ACTION

EVERYBODY IN / NOBODY OUT!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Not even all Democrats agree that nationalized health care is a step in the right direction. Senator Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) opposes the steps being taken to implement socialized medicine. This is great news for those of us who oppose this.
Nelson says his reasoning is that the public plan would hurt private insurance, and this is definitely true. I say "thanks, but no thanks." I would much rather have my private insurance than bureaucrat mandated health care.

TA

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

So you are as much against choice as this guy is.

Note that his concern is the private sector... not what is good for American Citizens.

This guy can go on all he wants... he's fighting a losing battle. As the article said... 66% of Americans want this... so it looks like he is out of touch.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by inked up
Yet you want the government controlling your personal health?

Nice try at the strawman. No, I just want affordable health care that the private for profit, greedy, claim denying, scumbags won't give the common working man. Even large corps are dropping their health plans because of the exorbitant costs.

Hey inked up, check this out.......www.abovetopsecret.com...

and welcome to ATS

[edit on 3-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Wouldn't you agree that ANY healthcare is better than none even if it is National healthcare.

Not if the healthcare comes with strings attached and further intrusion into our lives.

Not if it's going to be run in the same manner that they run county health care, where people can spend as much as 17 hrs in the emergency room waiting to be seen, must show up two hours earlier than the appointment time to register at a clinic and and sometimes wait an additional two hours after appointment time before being seen, and told to return the next day for their meds. Nor if they run it like public aide medical coverage where they refuse to cover certain meds, or tooth fillings for people over 18.

I can understand why people would think this may be a good idea, and i myself would like to see better health coverage in this country. However i can not blindly approve of what the government suggests as i do not believe that it will be run properly, they're track record of running this country as of late leaves me little faith in their ability to run anything.

And actually you are already paying for someone else's healthcare; all our elected officials that have salary's, healthcare etc. payed for by the taxes of the American taxpayer.

Believe me i am fully aware of that fact, even more when i am taxed 100% on my cigarettes. Heck i can't think of one thing that i'm not already taxed for. I'm taxed on my income, my food, my medicine, my entertainment, my gas, my car (the licence plates, city sticker, parking permit, and now they want to start taxing us on mileage!) and the list goes on and on and on. And now they want me to pay more taxes for national health coverage, this government is quickly becoming the same government that we originally broke away from. Well if i have anything to say about it (which they have made painfully clear that i don't) they won't be getting anymore of my money.

All I ask for is the same healthcare I afford my elected officials thru my taxes. I certainly can't afford the "for profit" HMO's with their CEO's making obscene salary's. While they deny care whenever they can.

I agree, however IMO you are sadly mistaken if you think we will ever receive the same healthcare as they do.

The Canadian model works for me.

As is your right. Me personally, if i believed that Canada offered a better way of life i'd move to Canada.

And to deny health care to the citizens of a country because a few illegals might avail themselves of the same system seems a very lame excuse.

I'm sorry but that point was not made by me, but rather by a previous poster.

However i'd like to say that you may want to do some checking because there are way more than a few illegals already helping themselves to our healthcare sytem

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

To be honest, I do not know what a strawman is. And disinformation? I was just posting my honest outlook on this, like others. I guess if my outlook is not the same as others I'm sent to links about disinformation?

I do not want our government, who sucks at everything it touches, more and more in my life and overseeing my health care. I really do see huge red flags and the thought of it actually starts making me paranoid. And I am not a paranoid person.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by inked up]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjeffersonsghost
I'm not for socialized medicine myself Im for allowing people to buy insurance from outside your state and Im for being able to import your medicine from places like Canada but I find it ironic these government officials who rail on the government insurance are at the same time USING that insurance for themselves. Why dont these government officials who dont like the government insurance cancel their policies and go buy private insurance then and save us taxpayers some money?

Yah those government officials have ACCTUAL insurance, instead of the crap the populace is getting. Theirs also works because they have money and know how to get around the loopholes that skrew us all out of our money, homes and jobs.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

reply to post by HunkaHunka

the health care providers skim 30%+ off the top of all the money they take in for PROFIT

Of course they have to make a profit. How else do you expect them to pay and provide benefits for those who work for them and continue operating the business?

So you are as much against choice as this guy is.

No, those seeking nationalized health care are the ones opposed to choice. Under that system, the national health plan would be your only option and bureaucrats would tell you when, how much, what type of, and from whom services would be rendered.

Always check your premise.

TA

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

\Yah those government officials have ACCTUAL insurance, instead of the crap the populace is getting. Theirs also works because they have money and know how to get around the loopholes that skrew us all out of our money, homes and jobs.

Does anyone actually know what insurance our politicians have? Do they have 'special' government insurance, the same that would be provided to the rest of us, if we have socialized health care? Or do they use the same private insurance companies that the rest of us do? Or will the populace still receive different care than the politicians receive?

Why do people think that if the government provides health care for all, it will still be at the same level as those in government?

I just looked at random government site ( www.fairfaxcounty.gov... ) and it showed that the people working for it have a variety of private insurance company plans. The very same plans that I as a regular civlian can get.

You would think that if the government health care of Medicare was so great, that would be the insurance that all government officals use, no?
From what I have heard from receiptiants, the government run Medicare is not all that great.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by inked up]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join