It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

which face mask / filter work for Swine Flu ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Could anyone kindly let me know if my NBC canisters (looks like AMF12, sealed in 1989, NSN 4240-99-132-0941, SABRE SAFETY LTD) for my "British Army AVON S10 Respirator (UK 1991 gas mask)" can protect me from Swine Flu virus? How long a canister can last before open(use)? how long it can filter flu virus effectively?
And what else canister can fit to a S10 mask? Where to buy could ship to Hong Kong?
Thank you very much.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I see you're new to ATS so, welcome. I don't know anything about the mask that you list but I'm sure a quick google search would pull up any relevant information you might need. Dr. Tim Johnson, the medical consultant for ABC news, said that the masks you see everyone wearing don't really have any preventive measures. He also said if you choose to wear one you should change it every 3-4 hours. I've heard that the masks are generally used for the people that already have the flu.

That's all I know for what it's worth. Good luck with your search.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I don't know the mask you are referring to either, but it is correct that the doc/hospital masks are not capable of filtering virus, only particulates. To totally protect, it must be a respirator and it MUST seal tightly to the face. No matter what the mask, unless it covers the entire face, it will not protect you from an infected person sneezing or coughing the virus into your eyes.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I would not trust the "N95 " masks at ALL when trying to keep from being contaminated with some type of biological threat. You are on the right track - using a full-face gas mask but my concern is what condition is the mask in and have you been able to test it using banana oil for leaks? There should be a date code stamped on the side of the mask in a circle. How old is it? The S10 mask uses the standard 40mm NATO thread for the canisters so they are plentiful. Here in the USA I can buy Scott or MSA CBRN canisters that work well for Bio agents. You might have problems getting someone to ship to you due to export restrictions though. Look for filters less than 10 years old!!

My setup is a Scott M110 CBRN rated mask + hood with Tyvek suit and booties + chemical warfare gloves. I also have military NBC suits. That is a doomsday setup but I'd rather be prepared. I anticipate only needing it if I absolutely need to get out of my home during some kind of mass infection. I don't discuss that I have these things during my day to day life (most would think I'm a nut or just dumb) but hey it didn't cost too much and I glad to have it!

I remember after 9/11 the prices of masks went up around 300% - who looked dumb then?

[edit on 2-5-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The answer is yes, if its an AMF12 filter in your gas mask, it is rated for virus protection. The full face mask set up is really what you want to use if you are looking to avoid infection.

If you are only using the filter to protect from virus contamination then you should not have to change it until it becomes difficult to breathe through.. How long this will be depends basically on how much dust is in the air you are filtering. Be aware that the AMF12 filter has a shelf life of 10 years in its protective packet.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by iforget]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Thank you very much to all of you.

My canisters sealed in 1989, so it is no use now. If someone already know a web-site that can ship export(overseas) for AMF12 etc and "Scott M110 CBRN rated mask + hood with Tyvek suit and booties + chemical warfare gloves & military NBC suits" etc. pls kindly advise.

By the way, Hong Kong media is controlled by China already; anyone could kindly suggest a short-wave radio that can (if possible) listen to USA/Australia station from China? Thanks.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If I may suggest, one may wish to consider the 3M 6800 series of full face respirators with P100 HEPA/Organic gas filters.

The HEPA filters will filter out 99.97% of all particulates down to .3 microns, and since you can get all sorts of variations with the filters in addition to being P100 HEPA filtration, I found the Organic vapors addition to be nice.

Strong chlorine or even Ozone concentrations do not easily pass through these filters.

Unless you are breathing in some really dusty, nasty conditions, the filters will last for months, and the mask itself will last for years.

They come in different sizes, and you want to make sure you get a good seal.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CONTACT

CDC PODCAST ON MASKS
www2a.cdc.gov...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I started a thread about masks the other day..

You'll find some info there about gas masks, filters, half mask respirators and the billy basic cloth things that we have all seen being given out..

Mask information thread

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why would you want to weaken your immune system with a mask? let it move on through your body,if you live you and your children will be immune to it.
If you die then your weak blood line ends with the flew.
So sad.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

We've come a long way. Here's an old Swine Flu face mask.

twitter.com...

new topics

top topics

join