It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans hate the French?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
why do we hate the french?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ninjorp

So why DO Americans hate the French so?

Just because your told to?

So why do Americans hate the French?

Well maybe it's just because they're so, well, French. Yes I've been there, let's get that one out of the way. (BTW, it was 1976, college days).

Was I ever told to hate the French? Quite frankly, NO! not once! The fact is the French people are just fine. It's the morons who run the government there. The problem however, is that the French people keep bringing the same bunch of idiots (different names and faces) to control them and run their government.

Hey, I'm sorry, they gave up in WWII, they bend over and grab their ankles for terrorists, they attempt to ban Islamic head scarves....... May we just see one train of thought that is consistent in its nature?

I'm not holding my breath!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
France lost WW2 simply because they didn't have the military mite available to combat the Nazi invasion. It's a simple matter of military superiority folks.

and the fact they're rifel droppers

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
How ignorant. Read my earlier post.

Do you know anything about World War II? The French military (and the American military) was far behind the Germans at the outbreak of World War II. Hitler's brilliant military strategies allowed nearly all the countries in Europe to fall in less than a year. Poland fell in less than a month. Holland fell five days after the Nazi invasion, Belgium fell eighteen days later after the invasion. Norway surrendered about two months after they were invaded. The German army seemed invincible.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
As long as we are talking WWII here, why is it that the french military was so far behind? They clearly saw a buildup by nazi germany, and then when germany started invading evveryone, what did they do? NOTHING!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye
How ignorant. Read my earlier post.

Do you know anything about World War II? The French military (and the American military) was far behind the Germans at the outbreak of World War II. Hitler's brilliant military strategies allowed nearly all the countries in Europe to fall in less than a year. Poland fell in less than a month. Holland fell five days after the Nazi invasion, Belgium fell eighteen days later after the invasion. Norway surrendered about two months after they were invaded. The German army seemed invincible.

so! they could of put up more of a fight and taken some nazis with em! a house of cards is harder to go through than france.

France: They're there when they need you

oh and what about the all the stuff that they just handed over to germany when hitler asked for it? not very good to up things in your favor.

[Edited on 4-27-2004 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What about the French resistance? They kept on fighting the nazis during WW2. You sure have to be couragous to be a resistance fighter, those guys sure didn't want to surrender. I admire anyone who has the balls to stand up to an invading force against all odds and keep on fighting.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ranger
What about the French resistance? They kept on fighting the nazis during WW2. You sure have to be couragous to be a resistance fighter, those guys sure didn't want to surrender. I admire anyone who has the balls to stand up to an invading force against all odds and keep on fighting.

And quite simply, they were heroes. The only problem was, they were 0.000021974% of the French population. Seriously, they were damn few, they were damn brave, and even the French couldn't figure out how to honor them without looking too pro-American. Yes Charles, I'm thinking of you.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Here's my two cents.

First of, Ive been in several countries, France included. I was stationed in germany for 3 years, so I made it a point to visit countries. And yes, i visited France.

I dont hate the French (well, i #ing hate Parisians, the bastards are so #ing rude and arrogant. Its like New York City or LA, except everyone speaks french and the city smells awful). I like certain parts of France. Ive had French friends.

I really dont know too many people who do hate the French really. There are many reasons French imports in the US have declined. One is the fact that the dollar is weak, it costs too much to import French goods. And with the dead economy in the US, with so many people losing money and jobs, buying French imports is alot more expensive. Only a few people really boycott the French, most people could care less where it comes from, only a matter of how much it costs.

Anyway, back on topic. I dislike the French hypocrisy. I spend alot of time ragging on the American Govornments hypocrisy. I dont spare the needle for anyone. the French gov is just as hypocritical. They act as if THEY never tried to take over the world. They act so holier than thou. Like they are so much better than we. He who is without sin cast the first stone. Then criticize us. That goes for anyone. I cant stand hypocrites.

A better question is, why do the French hate A,mericans? Im not talking about now. Im talking about decades of anti Americanism long before Bin Laden was a household name. Of course, I stopped caring long ago what the world thinks of America, because the multitude of reasons I got were ridiculous, nonseniscal, confusing, contradictary, ect.

Most Americans dont care that the rest of the world hates them. We hardly ever leave our own country, we have always prefered to stay home.

Anyways, most Americans dont really hate France, thats just media hype. Youre lucky if the Average American spends two seconds pondering the subject.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Please tell me you didnt just call Joan d'Arc a non-french person? If so, please leave the thread.
France are a decent country, they created America effectively.
They only lost world war 2 because America was pushing for extremely light punishments on Germany in light of World War 1.
They didnt lose World War 1, they were just the centre of the battles.
If you're blaming France for the excessive nuclear weapon testing on Atoll, then why not mention the fact that it's only because America was nuking there in the first place that it's now excessively-radiated.

If America had been sharing a boarder with Germany in world war 2, they would have had the same problem occur...

However, asking the US to remove their soldier's graves is a bit extreme.

Ahem.

Of course America wanted to go light on the Germans. They didnt start world war 1, and you idiots wanted to blame the whole #ing mess on them! Hell, AMERICA DIDNT EVEN WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN THE #ING WAR, FOR GODS SAKE.

Had the morons in Europe been more equitable with Germany instead of sodomizing them with the treaty of Versailles, then Hitler would not have gained the pwoer he did, because germany wouldnt have been such a big mess.

While Hitler was building up his armies in revenge, Europe sat on thier asses and gave him entire countries.

So put the blame where it belongs: YOURSELVES.

As for asking us to remove our soldiers graves, i find nothing wrong with that. As a former soldier, Id much rather my body be shipped back to my homeland and buried on my native soil than on alien shores. Maybe the spirits of the fallen shall rest ocne thier bodies are returned home.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

thats what i dont get. resistance fighters did way more damagne then the regular french army! wtf?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

thats what i dont get. resistance fighters did way more damagne then the regular french army! wtf?

Being a French Canadian, I don't like not having many people to be proud of in the land of my ancestors.
Oh well, there's the resistance and I know of at least 1 of my ancestors who volunteered to resist the British in the 18th century over here in North America . One of my great uncles served in the Canadian Army during WW2

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr No One
Because the French are a bunch of pricks. We saved their asses in WWII (after they bent over for the Germans) and then they don't have decency to "get our backs" in time of need. Two cases in point: 1. When Khadafi was attacking Americans in the Middle East & Reagan decided to fight back, the French said "not over our airspace" and our pilots had to take a more dangerous and less direct route to their target (nice); 2. after the world trade center attacks, the French were unwilling to do ANYTHING to help us hunt down the people responsible.

And let's not forget the real reason the French didn't support the invasion of Iraq - Saddam Hussein was one of France's biggest customers.

This was probably pointed out somewhere above, but I'm just too tired right now to look.

The first part my friend can be justified. I am not French OR European. I am American, and if you think about it, those two events you mentioned didn't involve France directly. WWII did - hence the use of the word 'world'. About the second part, this is true. But you must also remeber that we (the US) once supported Saddam AND bin Laden. You sound exactly like the voters who got us into this war in the first place. I think it's good to be patriotic, but not when it results in the begining of a war we won't ever win. Sure, Iraq may become a puppet government, sure its Baath military power might be destroyed, and sure its troops will be 'dealt with' ... but in that part of the world, those people (members and supporters of the Baath) will become martyrs, and martyrs are fuel for the fire.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by xenophanes85]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Before you say rifle dropper you should learn how to spell rifle dropper.

Americans dont hate the french they are jealous of them. Another country as big,at peace, more beautiful,and better cheese. What do we have here? A dying welfare country,# even the Indians are laughing.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
the question for any country silly enough to count on the french should not be "can we count on the french?," but rather "how long until france collapses?"

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashley

Before you say rifle dropper you should learn how to spell rifle dropper.

Americans dont hate the french they are jealous of them. Another country as big,at peace, more beautiful,and better cheese. What do we have here? A dying welfare country,# even the Indians are laughing.

what? being jealous of a country that has never won a war? HA!

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Had the morons in Europe been more equitable with Germany instead of sodomizing them with the treaty of Versailles, then Hitler would not have gained the pwoer he did, because germany wouldnt have been such a big mess.

Although I agree with you that Versailles was a failure, based more on revenge and recompense than a long term foundation for peace, we are viewing the treaty with the benefit of hindsight and without the emotional investment france had on its outcome. After the devastation france suffered during ww1, a desire for financial compensation and military restrictions that would (in theory) insure germany wouldn�t rampage through French borders in the near future seems logical and understandable.

The attitudes of Wilson and Lloyd George at Versailles have parallels in the post 9/11 world, where many have accused france of not showing adequate sympathy for American deaths due to their more diplomatic based ideas, while the US government�s response is based more on Clemencau-esque notions of revenge.

It�s far easier to be rational when you haven�t just suffered enemy occupation or a terrorist attack.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well, I sort of agree with you, bolshevik, but really, had the French and, well, everyone in Europe used diplomacy and accepted the blame equally across the board for the war like good sports, hitler would not have risen to power. Germany rampaged France because the French declared war on them first. Germany shouldnt have been punished for having a better military.

As for world war 2, the French rolled over to easy. So what if germany had a bigger military? The Polish didnt let that deter them from charging German tanks on horseback and such. The Polish knew they were #ed, they simply refused to just bend over and let the germans come rolling without giving them a show of resistance. The polish military was weaker than the French, yet they resisted more.

And I hate French cheese, well, i hate all cheese really, since I hate milk products, but french cheese is disgusting and smelly. Dont like wine either. But they have good beer, and escargot is very tasty in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
you guys really dont know where youre going with this post now do you. why is everyone trying to compare a french person to a german!? they are totally completely different! like the above post said. the french resisted the nazi government! if you ask me germans are completely different than the french. i love french people. and i dont have anything against germans either. people just need to learn how to lighten up and realize were all the same species here and equal.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Nicely said. Warring countries should take note of the British and American relationship. Or the American and the Japanese relationship. Or the American and the German relationship. Interesting how the US is supposedly the most hated country in the world, yet we are freinds with former enemies. Unless it's all an act.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join