It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans hate the French?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Did you bother to read the link guy? It tells you the truth of that event. Here are some excerpts of that link:

In March 2003, at one of the largest British war cemeteries in northern France, hate-filled comments were sprayed in red paint over a monument to Britain's dead from World War I. The defacement was removed by the afternoon of the day it was discovered, but not before a few busloads of visitors had seen it. Along with "Rosbifs (British) go home! Saddam Hussein will win and spill your blood" and "Death to the Yankees," was painted the comment that would spark the rumor: "Dig up your garbage. It is fouling our soil.

Scant days after the anti-war slogans were discovered, President Jacques Chirac sent an apology to Queen Elizabeth over the desecration of those graves. "These unacceptable and disgraceful acts are unanimously condemned by the French people," said Mr. Chirac. "In the name of France, and in my own name, please accept my deepest regrets. France knows what it owes to the formidable devotion and courage of the British soldiers who came to help it free itself in the fight against barbarity."

www.snopes.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
Did you bother to read the link guy? It tells you the truth of that event. Here are some excerpts of that link:

Did you not read what I posted?

I am talking about post WWII France, who wanted us to remove our dead from their soil.

I believe the reasoning behind this was to take away the reminders that others had to die in order to liberate France.

As a result of the US preseting them with the bill I mentioned, France granted right to the cemetaries in perpetuity, which was mentioned in your article.

I think it reared its head again in '66 when De Galle pulled them out of NATO, but don't quote me on that.

Any further questions?

[Edited on 26/4/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This why I have no respect for the French.
They love testing nukes in the south pacific, Mururoa Atoll
and ignore point blank that the above Atoll has been subjected
to too many tests. Wrong!!
msowww.anu.edu.au...
The two sentences below this image speak volumes...
www.pacific-promotion.com.fr...
Map for you all,
www.atlapedia.com...
French Polynesia, sure I don't have any problem regarding territory(sp),
but I get a bit pissed off when France commits a terrorist act to
prevent a non violent demo'...
www.aucklandcitypolice.govt.nz...
and denied the whole thing 'incident'. Until they got busted.

Bonjour Ninjorp.
Oh, and don't mind me.. Je suis un imbecilie.
S.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hmmm....talk about short memory. Where does the statue of liberty come from??? Ok, the U.S saved French ass in WWII, but the French helped the US during their struggle for independence.

So there's no reason for calling them names. The only question ever asked by major players in politics is: "Which action benefits me the most, and can I angle it so my country believes it's in their best interest."

Bush and his cronies did it and so did the French. Don't blame the people for their government's actions.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by yergen
Hmmm....talk about short memory. Where does the statue of liberty come from???

The US dont Control it. The UN does.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by yergen
Hmmm....talk about short memory. Where does the statue of liberty come from??? Ok, the U.S saved French ass in WWII, but the French helped the US during their struggle for independence.

So there's no reason for calling them names. The only question ever asked by major players in politics is: "Which action benefits me the most, and can I angle it so my country believes it's in their best interest."

Bush and his cronies did it and so did the French. Don't blame the people for their government's actions.

Agreed. Without France, there would be no USA. Without the USA, the French would all be speaking German.

I will not judge a whole people based on their goverment.

IIRC, Chirac was one of the first leaders to go to the US after 911.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I can't read it...after all, I haven't had enough time to run to the library. However, if you have a link or two on information contained in that book, I would be more than happy to read it.

And it seems like the only people who are suggesting getting our dead out of that country now are our people.

I see this as a simple misunderstanding. I honestly thought this was something recent. After all, I don't really get offended by our President being an "ex-alchie" or having done some coc aine in his time. The point is, I didn't expect to go all the way back to the 1950's or 60's to see a point proven. People change, times change, this was half a friggin' century ago. France is still, technically speaking, an Allie(sp).

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
France is still, technically speaking, an Allie(sp).

Technically, no she is not. Ever since she pulled out of NATO we have not had a direct military treaty with her.
However we have enough treaties with allies of France that we would have to assist them, who would in turn be assisting her.

Bottom line, yes we would have to bail out france...again.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think "hate" is too strong a word to use when discussing American feelings towars the French.

Personally, I am of French-Canadien descent, and have a distinctly French-sounding last name. I can read and write enough french to be understood, and I have also been to both northern and southern France during the 1980's.

Part of the problem is that the French have a national feeling of self-importance and rebelliousness. They enjoy thumbing their noses at the rest of the world, and will often choose a position on a hot topic that is 180 degrees counter to the popular point of view.

I think most Americans don't hate the french, but we regularly get annoyed as hell over their words and actions (or inactions). I think it really boils down to the fact that the French seem to think that their opinions and views should matter alot more than anybody else's (especially those barbaric Americans), when the reality of the world is that most countries see France as a relic of colonial times with duplicitous motives, a questionable track record, and a lack of ability to be a team player in the world community.

This is opinion only.

P

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
OK - being an American, and having been to paris twice for a combined 5 weeks on buisness and pleasure, I must say that I hate the French for many reasons.

I cannot begin to recall how many times I would speak to someone, being quite polite, only to hear them insult myself and everyone I was with in French behind our backs. This is the french way - they are too cowardly to actually confront anyone on anything like a man. Instead, they turn their back and whisper pett insults under their breath like the spineless jerk offs they really are. Of course it was them who felt like the asses because my father is fluent in French and would call them out on it. To no ones suprise they would be caught quite offguard and not know what to do - it was quite ammusing actually.

They are rude, disgusting people who hold the rest of the world (not just the US) in contempt. I just find it funny how pathetic they are. Here is one person hoping that the US never EVER helps them with ANYTHING again. I am sick of their moaning and bitching about everything the US does. TOUGH LUCK ASS HOLES! You gave up your repectability long ago, and still you wonder why no one cares what you say.

And yeah - as far as their value as an "ally" - they lost any value about a hundred years ago. Back when they helped the US win it's independence, they were still human. They still had some backbone. Now they are just a slimey waste of air.

Oh yeah - did I mention they are some of the worst buisness people I have ever met? God they suck!

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So France and the rest of the world don't agree with our foreign policy since we lost nearly 3000 souls to the result of the policy they did agree with? Americans have too long let the rest of the world make the policy by which we operate because we have been so worried about what the hell everyone else thinks but have had to overlook numerous fallicies in how we were dealt with by them.

No matter what we ever do, the French will look at us as second class citizens of a second class nation. Why, because denial is easier than accpetance. We will no longer lie under the constant threat of attack because we're afraid of what you might think of us. You can point your finger and shame us and hope like hell that we fall back in line with the way YOU think we should handle ourselves...or you can accept it as inevitable and also accept that the world has changed. Regardless, your opinions, your criticisms, and your judgement of us is as irrelevant as is your ability to change it.

The writing is on the wall. Saddam is gone and so is the oil deal and the militant islamics in your country are scrounging to make ends meet because their financial sources are drying up.

What a pityful excuse for a once powerful country to be reduced standing in the corner crying about something you had not the resources nor the conviction to undertake in the name of your own defense.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I had a lesson in French public relations when i was in Japan, on
holiday in '85. I was seated on the 'bullet train', about to
go from Tokyo to Kyoto. This bloke and his wife shove
their tickets in my face (they were in the aisle), and scream
in french that me and the person next to me were in
their seats. Massive hands gestures were taking place, btw.
So, i play dumb 'cause i know a bit of french, but i wasn't
gonna tell him.
I just informed him that he had the correct seats
but they were in the wrong carriage.
S.
No apology, nothing...not that i expected one

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There seems to be a strange sort of etiquette around 'proper' seating in Japan. You MUST sit in the seat assigned to you, or the entire society will collapse into choas and madness. I'm sure you know what Japan is like. No excuse for their rudeness though.

The girls more than make up for the particular quirks of Japanese society.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Americans hate the French because France wouldn't support America dropping bombs killing thousands of women and children.

If it wasn't for France training our militia and surrounding Yorktown, America wouldn't even be a country.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ninjorp
Well, GW Bush's gandaddy, Prescott Bush had eight of his businesses closed down under the 'trading with the enemy act'. Hitler was Time magazine's 'Man of the Year' in 1938, and the US had no problem with Nazi Germany for quite a while and only entered the war after everyone else was decimated. So the States, or some powerful elements in your country supported Hitler for quite awhile. All the Nazi ball bearings were made in New Jersey for instance. So the Frech are not the only ones involved in the 'dirty' weapons game.

And I don't like the Bush's either. As far as doing business with Hitler, please remember that the US was not at war with Germany, we weren't even really allied with the other countries against anyone in the war. Our political leaders & the population was split on whether we should join the war at all. The US didn'
t join after everyone else was "decimated" we joined after we were attacked. Also, you are talking about companies doing business with a country (in the US that's a freedom our people have (had?) to be able to support that which the government doesn't. In the case that I mentioned, the French Government bowed to Germany. It even denied Bristish ships safe habor when England & Germany first went to war. Also,
France was supposed to be part of the "economic sanctions" against Iraq, but went behind everyone's back to sell them weapons! And you people think the US is the bad guy here?

How many countries do YOU allow to violate YOUR airspace? It's quite common to disallow another country to have free reign over your skies. Especially if you're not on friendly terms.

You're joking right? It wasn't a violation of airspace AND the US & France were supposed to have been on good terms at the time (part of why that pisses everyone off).

Also the US were not the only ones who entered the war and 'saved asses'. Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many other commonwealth countries got involved at that point.

And thank God for them, cause the rest of the countries fighting the war weren't getting any help from France.

So it's because the French disagree with you? Do they HAVE to agree with you?

Screw that. People disagree with us all the time. Even our people disagree with our government. The general population of the US was not behind joing the war in Europe, they felt our beef was just with the Japanese and were ready to let the French wallow in the muck they helped create (maybe we should have listened to them...)

Was Khadafi all that big a threat? I don't hear much about him now. If he was so evil, why is he not targeted for execution now?
Hell yes he was a threat. He was specifically targeting Americans for acts of violence and that made him a threat. Your panzy ass government may not have the stones to defend it populace, but the US does. And you hear a lot from Khadafi these days. Mostly "wasn't me" and "I'm sorry for what I did, the ass whipping you gave me taught me a lesson." Give you two guesses as to why, but you'll probably need 3.

If I were you, I'd start to read a little more international news, just for a different point of view. It's just possible that the news you're getting is a little one sided. Please don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.
Trust me I would never take your word for it. Nor anyone else's. I do my own research on international levels and try to see things from every angle. Unfortunately I can't cower low enough to see things from the French point of view.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Both times I must say were unpleasant.
The French (especially in Paris) were complete assholes for lack of a better term. The first time was in 1983 and I ONLY visited France. I found the people to be rude, vindictive and generally "anti-American".
The second time was in 1990 on backpacing tour of most of western Europe. The French were even worse this time (only toward Americans). We had planned on spending three days in Paris but after the first night all we wanted to do was get out of the country. The rest of europe was GREAT!!! I must say that the friendliest place I have ever been is The Netherlands. These are real people. They don't pre-judge anyone and will go out of thier way to help a stranger. It reminded me of America

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
... I am amazed at some of the answers posted here. Disgusted even. You can't condemn a whole people based on the actions of their government. That goes -both- ways.

I don't hate the French, I find it impossible to render judgement on a country as a whole unless I've experienced any reason to personally despise them first hand. Which I haven't.

Maybe I'm just naive... who knows, and quite frankly, who the hell cares. =P

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flanker

Originally posted by jetsetter
I hate them because they call for peace and turn around and sell weapons to Iraq and such. If they were really comitied to peace they would not be selling weapons around the world.

oh and americans never sold weapons to anyone right?

oh wai

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Flanker]

I never said that. But the French always calleing for peace and such, I would think they would not sell weapons to everyone. Now they want to sell weapons to China and such.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ok so i've heard that people hate the french because they only do things that benefit themselves... when was the last time the USA did anything that didnt benefit them... maybe a few piddly bits here and there but not much...
Oh and they peddle weapons while encouraing peace... hmmm the USA does the very same thing all the time...
The USA saved there asses in WW2... ok maybe the USA helped to do so, but only because they were attacked by the German allies (japs) ans were dragged in... if it wasnt for pearl harbour the USA wouldve sat back and watched (same story for WW1)...

The only reason i can see why the USA doesnt like france too much is the difference in political views... Europe is generally quite left in their politics, where as the USA currently is quite hardline right... that and the fact the french refused to be dragged into the war in Iraq (and good for them i say, if only our governments had that sense)... its a matter of politics and egos really... i dont really like either but if it came to having to choose i'd go with the frenchies

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr No One
Because the French are a bunch of pricks. We saved their asses in WWII (after they bent over for the Germans) and then they don't have decency to "get our backs" in time of need. Two cases in point: 1. When Khadafi was attacking Americans in the Middle East & Reagan decided to fight back, the French said "not over our airspace" and our pilots had to take a more dangerous and less direct route to their target (nice); 2. after the world trade center attacks, the French were unwilling to do ANYTHING to help us hunt down the people responsible.

See how much the French kiss our ass the next time they get invaded (which seems to be the only real military accomplishment they can be attributed to in the last two centuries).

And let's not forget the real reason the French didn't support the invasion of Iraq - Saddam Hussein was one of France's biggest customers.

Lemme put it this way. france owes us BIG TIME!

examples

WWI(France is germany's whiping boy)

WWII(again, france is germany's whiping boy, and france it totally conqured by the third rich probally making it the only country nearly conqured or totally conqured twice in under 50 years)

VIET NAM-(Ho Chi Min actually asked us to nuke the french forces in viet nam. luckly for the frogs we were smaretr than that.)

REST OF THE COLD WAR- with out US as a major player in NATO they would probally be callig every one "comrade." well hell all of western europe owes us this one.

OSIRACK NUCLEAR REACTOR- They sold it to the Iraqis. and i think it was schraq that actually helped in the process (luckly the IDF/AF had the balls to step up and blow the hell outta it.) not to mention that france has been giving iraq weapons. they're lucky we havent put them on our "things to bomb the living piss out of" list.

France has been and always will be a nation of stuck up cowards who run at the first sign of trouble.

Here are 2 rules of french warfare:

1. France only wins when the US does most of the fighting (See WWI and WWII)

2. France only wins when not lead by a frenchman (see joan of arc)

- Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

- Hundred Years War
- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars
- Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion
- France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War
- France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution
- Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

- The Dutch War
- Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War
- Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Frogophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

- War of the Spanish Succession
- Lost. The War also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

- American Revolution
- In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome", and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare; "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

- French Revolution
- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars
- Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War
- Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk Frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

- World War I
- Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

- World War II
- Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel Song.

- War in Indochina
- Lost. French forces plead sickness; take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu

- Algerian Rebellion
- Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare; "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

- War on Terrorism
- France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

The question for any country silly enough to count on the French should not be "Can we count on the French?", but rather "How long until France collapses?"

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you do is leave behind a lot of noisy baggage."

Or, better still, the quote from last week's Wall Street Journal: "They're there when they need you."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join