It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Army Creates Liquid Armor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Could this be the wave of the future?

Scientists at Aberdeen Proving Grounds have developed a liquid armor for Kevlar vests.

More Here:
Info

I'm thinking this could be the launching pad for eventual suits of body armor, so lightweight and flexible, that infantry units could advance at a speed previously unheard of, all the while being almost 'bulletproof'.

Could this technology be used somewhere else besides militarily?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Awesome stuff, you can bet with troops surviving IUD's only to lose limbs, at the rate in which men in Iraq are losing them that new inventions will have a hugely accelerated debut. If the politicians in power could lesson the amount of men in Iraq dieing by using this liquid armor I would think it will get the fast track.
War always speeds invention. Full body suits will obviously be part of the future of soldiering. It just makes sense. Problem is that more armor not only means more weight, but more heat. In Iraq this is a big deal. I think in the future you will have heavy troops and light troops. Heavy being mechanized. Soft kevlar armor is nice for fragments and small arms, but won't stop HMG rounds or direct hits by HE rounds. Use kevlar like chainmail add ceramic plates like full plate armor, pack for cooling and air filtering. communication, ammo; it will weigh several hundred pounds.
How do you get around?

bleex.me.berkeley.edu...

Variable

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I can answer the how do you get around question. - Powered exoskeletons,

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
sounds like good # too me. any idea when this stuff will acctually see any action?

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The Russians have already made something like this. They are still testing and improving.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZLS1
I can answer the how do you get around question. - Powered exoskeletons,

exoskeleton would be to expensive and prove to be to much of a hassle for the typiccal solider due to the size and mechanism, they wont be able to stay in prone or crounch poistion, and even if they do it would be very uncomfortable, liquid vest sounds good to me, i belive they should have a vest that absorbs the bullet and forces it back, like something sophiscated, BUT REMEMBER A GOOD SOILDER SHOULD NEVER GET SHOT, THEY SHOULD SPEND MOST OF THE MONEY, TO TRAIN SOLIDERS NOT TO GET SHOT, AND PROVIDE THEM WITH BETTER AND MORE SOPHHICSATED WEAPONS, AND VEHICLES,

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   

exoskeleton would be to expensive and prove to be to much of a hassle for the typiccal solider due to the size and mechanism, they wont be able to stay in prone or crounch poistion, and even if they do it would be very uncomfortable, liquid vest sounds good to me, i belive they should have a vest that absorbs the bullet and forces it back, like something sophiscated, BUT REMEMBER A GOOD SOILDER SHOULD NEVER GET SHOT, THEY SHOULD SPEND MOST OF THE MONEY, TO TRAIN SOLIDERS NOT TO GET SHOT, AND PROVIDE THEM WITH BETTER AND MORE SOPHHICSATED WEAPONS, AND VEHICLES,

I disagree. The exoskeletons are the future, they will be revolution in the infantry combat. Remember the exoskeleton doesn't mean it needs to be powered by battery or fuel cell. The genetics technologies are rapidly advancing so there is posiblility to develop artificiall muscles and use them on the exoskeletons instead of mechanical parts. It is also logical US pays their profesinal soldiers lot of money and also to train a good infantry man costs a lot of money. They plan to equip them with IR sight, computers, night vision and OICW (land-warior), wich will cost even more. But this highly trained soldier with 50 000- 80 000 $ equpment, can be killed by a 15 year old kid with AK-47. With exoskeletons the army would not only have better mobility but also the oportunity to protect their "investment".
Next thing - the exoskeleton soldier could carry around 300 lbs equpment, eliminating the need for logistic support for lets say 30 days so the logistic could be more concentrated on tanks, helicpters etc.

[Edited on 30-4-2004 by longbow]

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I am still waiting for the type of body armor the borg is using to protect them selfs...
energy fields...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I'm seeing some use of nano-technology in the near future in humans. Could be used to totally re structure the muscles and what not and provide drugs to keep them in top shape and power.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen with the liquid armor if it was penetrated anyway. What would happen when the liquid is blown into the wound and body cavity. would you survive only to have your heart filled with hardening particles?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
I wonder what would happen with the liquid armor if it was penetrated anyway. What would happen when the liquid is blown into the wound and body cavity. would you survive only to have your heart filled with hardening particles?

Maybe it can stop the bleeding.

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by longbow]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This could still have its uses in the future. Just think of the possibilities. Having soldiers being able to run around quickly while being protected all the same. This could also by a nice tie in with that reactive camoflague.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Old (very) thread, but I think this may still be relevent.

Liquid Armour Clip

I can't actually see this myself, so I dunno what's on the video, but I'm sure it has something to do with liquid armour.

top topics

join