It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASCAR Nation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
The voting block has been termed 'NASCAR Dads" by the poly sci guys, and the media picked-up on it. It replaces the 'Soccer Mom' moniker. People love their soundbites!

Yeah, the media does love easily labeled segments of the population, doesn't it? I first heard the term "NASCAR Dads" in reference to politics a month or so ago, and it was used in conjunction with "Soccer Moms" in the story. Gotta love stereotypes in politics....

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
The voting block has been termed 'NASCAR Dads" by the poly sci guys, and the media picked-up on it. It replaces the 'Soccer Mom' moniker. People love their soundbites!

Well #e, what's a guy to do? I will probably be a soccer dad and a nascar dad. But, no minivans for us... On the serious side I think it was pretty foolish for CNN to draw the reference to Nascar fans and Bush supporters. I am one of those moderate republicans (or conservative democrats I hear) that am not quite sure about supporting Bush. It's really interesting how CNN is trying hard to appear to not be in GW's lap.

Unfortunately the Talladega incident after Gordon's "ruled" victory doesn't really help the stereotype of the average Nascar fan. Up here in the sticks of central NY Nascar is big and some of those average fans are pretty scary near the end of the race when the booze has been flowing. So my usage of "average fan" is allowable in this response.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian

Unfortunately the Talladega incident after Gordon's "ruled" victory doesn't really help the stereotype of the average Nascar fan. Up here in the sticks of central NY Nascar is big and some of those average fans are pretty scary near the end of the race when the booze has been flowing. So my usage of "average fan" is allowable in this response.

I agree. It's always kind of "scary" when a group of unruly young men throw trash (medals) over the (White House) fence, such as happened in Alabama.

It's a good thing these people are not in positions of authority.

<< 1   >>

join