It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice chunk size of New York City breaks off Antarctica, blamed of Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
"An area of an Antarctic ice shelf almost the size of New York City has broken into icebergs this month after the collapse of an ice bridge widely blamed on global warming, a scientist said Tuesday." [Reuters]

"The northern ice front of the Wilkins Ice Shelf has become unstable and the first icebergs have been released," Angelika Humbert, glaciologist at the University of Muenster in Germany, said of European Space Agency satellite images of the shelf.

www.sciam.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
"Nine other shelves -- ice floating on the sea and linked to the coast -- have receded or collapsed around the Antarctic peninsula in the past 50 years, often abruptly like the Larsen A in 1995 or the Larsen B in 2002."
[from same Scientific American article, reuters]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Global Warming? Or could it be that Winter is over?

Hmmmmmm?

Looks like a certain scientist is in desperate need of a government grant to study this "dire" situation?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

You realize that Antarctica is in the Southern Hemisphere right?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ok but what does that have to do with an overzealous scientist trying to get grant money?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Almost as much as winter being over in the Northern Hemisphere does to the ice shelf in Antarctica?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Ok but what does that have to do with an overzealous scientist trying to get grant money?

Because you have just made a fool of yourself twice in a row - obviously if you don't know what you are talking about, people will ridicule you as is being done here, however if you don't mind being looked upon with contempt and borderline sympathy for your intellectual mundaneness - then by all means continue to batter your low self esteem.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Here in the southern hemisphere it is turning to Winter, a time when the ice traditionally grows in the Antarctic region. I would have thought the very large breakaways over the past ten years or more would have been plenty of proof for something changing rapidly.

That this would require funding to study comes as no big surprise to me. Funny isn't it that so many people on ATS immediately sway to the negative perception side in any given situation.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What really gets me are all the dinosaurs that used to live in subzero temperatures on the continent of Antarctica.

Two New Dinosaurs Discovered in Antarctica

Because we all know the only way the South Pole could ever warm up is due to manmade global warming, right?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

What happened to the dinosaurs?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

wow 2 new dinos discovered in antarctica? I wonder what else is hidden beneath the ice...

Actually theres lots of evidence that antarctica wasn't always on the south pole. Several pole shifts have occurred thruout the history of this planet, as is evident by the iron particles in the rock of the seafloor being aligned differently as you dig through the layers.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

Point well taken...

Yet, I assume that you yourself understand that glacial ice forms do in fact calve year round, regardless of Temperatures. Calving glaciers serve as no proof of any form of AWG.

What I find most hypocritical and misleading about this article is how they equate Glacial Retreat to Glacial Calving, when in reality the latter is no proof of the former, and in fact, it often denotes quite the opposite.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

He said the Northern front. North is North and South is South regardless of whether your in the North or South Hemisphere.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

From your source:

The first, a 190 million-year-old plant-eater from the early Jurassic period, was found by chance on December 7—13,000 feet (3,900 meters) up a mountain. A mountaineer accompanying paleontologists turned up the animal's huge pelvis in an informal search only a few miles from the South Pole.
Emphasis added.

From my source:

By the end of the Jurassic Period, water separated South America from Africa, and the Australian and Antarctic continents were clearly articulated. The Antarctic continent began a slow southward migration toward the south polar region.
www.enotes.com...

Isn't it funny that the people who doubt man-made global warming are also the ones that don't understand high school science.

Edit to add:

Since I doubt that my post is self explanatory to a man of your intellect, I thought I would explain further. The world did not look the same back then as it does now. There was once only one continent called Pangaea. So the dinosaurs found on Antarctica got there when the land mass was much further north and still connected to Africa and the Americas.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by finemanm]

[edit on 28-4-2009 by finemanm]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
No one has ever said that the climate was never warmer than it is now; in fact, it's pretty common knowledge that it has been. Also, there's something called plate tectonics and continental drift, and 200 million years ago, Antarctica was in a different location, as shown here:

www.exploratorium.edu...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

All I am going to say is WOW. North is North? Have you ever seen a globe?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Uh oh. I guess we better stop driving, shut down the factories, and never fart again!!

The earth can heal. Granted it won't start doing so until we change something, but it'll be okay.

It's the end of summer / beginning of fall in the antarctic. After a long season of heating, the ice is starting to break off a bit. If global warming is sooo bad, why did we have one of the coldest winters on record this year?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mostlyspoons

The earth can heal.

No doubt about that.

But if we keep doing what we are doing to it, it is likely to do it without us.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So, rather than quoting all the above posts, what you people are saying is there are other forces at work in the global climate, solar cycles, and planet itself that affect the weather other than manmade global warming, and this explains how Antarctica at one time had tropical temperatures and dinosaurs living on it?

Have these forces stopped, thereby only leaving manmade global warming as the only force left to affect weather?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

So, it is the end of summer there - very logical that after a few months of warmer temperature, ice breaks.

There - don't be so sure of yourself, when others make mistakes, don't call them fools.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join