It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powells Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
What did you all think about the speech. I thought it contained some very valuable information. I was also suprised to hear some information that was given to the general public. For example they let us listin in on a tapped call talking about hiding the chemical weapons. I would say sometime near presidents day is the day we attack Iraq. War is inevitable. I just hope they dont attack us first.

www.msnbc.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Have you heard of mutually assured destruction? If Iraq attacks us, the world will know and there will be an immediate move by the world to bring them down. If you were Iraq would you attack a country you had no hope of defeating and would only incite the world further. Think about it, Iraq stands no chance against us, why even attack them?

XAOS

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
already suspected. Inspections only work when they are random and unexpected. Scheduled inspections only show you how well someone can sweep the extra dirt under the carpet, etc. Think about it. Let's say there was a police force that went around looking for food in the fridge. They call you up, and arrange a time, etc. (giving you plenty of time to stash the food in a car and send it to Grandma's, whose inspection is later) They arrive on time, look around and find no food in the fridge! Well, you must be clean, you obviously don't eat! When it's Grandma's turn to be inspected, she packs her food in the same car, drives it back to you, and then returns to her house to greet the inspectors. Hmm...no food in her fridge either! This site is also clean!

Gimme a break, this isn't rocket science!

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm very skeptic of this, and in general. I think it's a last act of a desperate country for war. This is not proof that they are looking for. It's two recordings of who knows what. And it's satellite photos of who knows what. Now if they had inside photos of those trucks, or what was inside those buildings then yeah, I can see. Looks like they're getting pretty desperate. Who knows, I could be wrong (it's been known to happen). Maybe the gov does have inside photos, but I think if they do they really need to prove to the people that this is going to be a justifiable war.

[Edited on 5-2-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Powells speech convinced me and I believe Iraq is pretty much TOAST!
I think it will happen on March 3rd, 2003 at 3:00 a.m. Iraq time.

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
OK Grommer no offence but they actually translated the part where you said they were saying god knows what for you...and im paraphrasing here because i forget what they said exactly...but it was a col. talking to somone else telling them to move the Nerve Agents and to stop talking on wireless( radios). Also they were talking to someone after the speech and he said that what the photos show was a mobile lab...just like the kind back in Dessert Storm. Maybe you should read the facts before you say something.

[Edited on 5-2-2003 by subscorpion]

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
They played it on NPR and I caught some of it - I didn't think it was half bad and I thought Powell did a great job of presenting what he had - wish there was a tad more to present. Though, the intercepts were interesting. I've favored Saddam having the same destiny as those he's killed for some time now. War is ugly, no doubt. Eventually we'll have to confront him. Powell might not have had the 'smoking gun' comarative to Stevensons during the Cuban missile crisis, I think he gave some compelling evidence and outlined the big picture about Iraq.

posted on Feb, 5 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I've long thought that factions within the White House were setting up Koh-Lin for the big drop and I fancy this was part of it.
It was, to say the least, unfortunate that Blix's explicit rejection of some of Powell's "evidence" was all over the international media even before Powell spoke.
In the context of fake "UsamabL" tapes, cover-up's, deception on all sides, revelations about motives, about lies before the Gulf War: this was a pretty unconvincing bit of theatre.
Which "new" part of the presentation did posters think convincing?
One notes that Franks is gettin a bit of a media toasting at present, as well.
Power-games at the Pentagon, methinks -send out for bagels.

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It would appear that ostensibly (for there may well have been one or more hidden agendas here) teh speech failed.
A tolerably sober link naming the guilty here:
www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 04:32 AM
link   
subscorpion

posted on 5-2-2003 at 23:56

OK Grommer no offence but they actually translated the part where you said they were saying god knows what for you...and im paraphrasing here because i forget what they said exactly...but it was a col. talking to somone else telling them to move the Nerve Agents and to stop talking on wireless( radios). Also they were talking to someone after the speech and he said that what the photos show was a mobile lab...just like the kind back in Dessert Storm. Maybe you should read the facts before you say something.

[Edited on 5-2-2003 by subscorpion]

I have read the facts, and I know what is going on. My point was that it wasnt convincing. Maybe you shouldnt jump on someones case for sharing their opinion. Or is your opinion the one and final answer?

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   
national security Bod on BBC 24 basically said powels speach was full of unsubstantial crap.

then Graham Norton pointed out he couldn't pronounce colin.

which was funnier.

Lupe
(just in case there are peeps out there who think Colins speech impedement is normal, Colin is pronounced "Ko-lynn" not colon.....although the latter is ironicly more apt)

[Edited on 6-2-2003 by Lupe_101]

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
this was a pretty unconvincing bit of theatre.

I second that. I watched it and saw what was once the sole voice of reason in an ill equipped administration being a 'good soldier'.

He did prove:

- Americans are the World Masters of the PowerPoint presentation

- Satellite photos make for a good giggle but don't convince anyone not trained to view them

- That trucks disappear; which is funny because they were able to take the photo but stopped tracking it, logically taking more photos, to follow it back 'to base'!?!

The General took one for the team, he's now absolved and can seek Republican nominations down the road without fear of being accused that he wasn't a stand up guy.

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
certainly sounded like stand up.
half expected him to say

"don't you just hate it, when like, Iraqi's...."

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If you make chemical weapons in mobile labs, just to avoid inspectors....you might be an Iraqi dictator...

If you tell the world you are a stand up guy, and then go down to the cellar to beat up your wayward son while chained to a wall....you might be an Iraqi dictator...

If you profess to have no WMD program, then get caught buying missile tubes forbidden in the embargo....you might be an Iraqi dictator...

I can see it now, lol!

posted on Feb, 6 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join