It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Debt Collectors, Be Warned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
So today I received a call from a 1800 number asking me to call them back, which I did. There was an automated machine on the other end of the line telling me they were calling me concerning a debt collection. Now I know I do not have any debt other than my credit cards, so I immediately knew it was a scam. Just to see what they were after I followed their instructions and the automated machine asks me for my personal info. At which point I hung up.

I just wish to warn everyone that people are going to try and take advantage of you because of the current economy.

Be wary of who is calling you!
Do not give any information out to anyone unless you know they are trustworthy.

Do not give any information to 1-800-775-0884.

Edit:
Dont trust any 1-800-###-0884
So I went searching the net for information about the number... turns out they are on 10 or 12 suspicious call lists.
The number has posted itself as a medical debt collector, also leaves a message for an "important business matter."
A bunch of complaints about calling from 1am-6am.

[edit on 4/28/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I presume from your post that 1-800 is a 'toll free' number?
Is it possible for Americans to hide their caller ID then phone that number?

If that is possible, then you could spend some time filling it up with useless information, with them being charged for your calls, and also diluting their database of usable info.

Just a thought

############################################

There is a small program that was on the net some time ago, which was an amazing little thing! Basically, you received a scam email asking your to log onto your bank account (you know the ones). You take their link from the email and paste it into the program. It then constantly fills their database with random names and numbers, until they close their site down. The names and numbers it uses are all normal causing mass confusion on the side of the scammers as to what to believe.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
in germany that happend alot...really annoying.
my answeringmashine is full of "fake win calls" "fake job calls" and stuff..

medical dept...is new

horrible!

new topics

join