It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Gardens on the Moon by 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Forgive the title, lifted direct from source.

As part of the Google Lunar X Prize, Paragon Space Development Corporation has recently teamed with Odyssey Moon to develop a pressurized mini greenhouse to deploy on the surface of the moon, grow a plant from seed, and hopefully see it flower and seed itself.

Source

These look cool if nothing else. Grown in a capsule reminiscent of something from a Marvin The Martian cartoon these mini greenhouses are said to be an important step to "expanding life beyond our planet".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6893c9d16324.jpg[/atsimg]

I guess it's a wonder that all things needed to make the plant survive can be packed into a tiny box. I'm tempted to say 'so what?' though. They may be able to grow in the vacuum of space but we certainly wont be able to harvest them safely :-) I guess it's a step in the right direction towards creating those space gardens in domes you see on Star Trek.

Wonder if it's back engineered from what's already up there?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Wow, that's very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

By 2012?........ Wouldn't it be the end of the world by then?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GateCrasher

Yeah the end of the world is 2012, back by popular demand from the mayans

If you could make billions of these and have them on the moon, couldn't the exhale of oxygen they give be controlled and possibly moved into a giant dome, domes for human life to exist on the moon, and If we make the dome out of carbon nano tubes, it'd be less harmed I SUPPOSE by meteor strikes.

Seems interesting, a small step toward the future, but still a step indeed.

If the Adminstration would start funding science more, you'd see we would advance much faster, all the money goes to war though

And if it is funded to science its to build war equipment better.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GateCrasher

Wow, that's very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

By 2012?........ Wouldn't it be the end of the world by then?

Haha I know, I was going to mention that we would never get to see them in action!!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I'm putting this idea straight in the loonies bin.

The competition will award $30 million to the first private company to land a craft on the moon by 2012. As part of the requirements, the craft must safely land, send live video feed back to Earth, travel at least 500 meters across the surface, send more video and carry a payload.

$30 million is penny's many years ago(5-7y) Mr Bob Bigalow put up $50 million reward for any team that could take off orbit 2-3 times the earth and land(close to that)I don't think it was achieved.

These plant pods would do nothing but pollute the moon with dirt organisms.
"award $30 million to the first private company to land a craft on the moon" what a joke.

Zelong

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Great news. Also good to hear about Google Lunar X events springing back into action. Can't wait to see the data and imagery that comes back.

"The Google Lunar X PRIZE is a $30 million international competition to safely land a robot on the surface of the Moon, travel 500 meters over the lunar surface, and send images and data back to the Earth. Teams must be at least 90% privately funded and must be registered to compete by December 31, 2010. The first team to land on the Moon and complete the mission objectives will be awarded $20 million; the full first prize is available until December 31, 2012. After that date, the first prize will drop to $15 million. The second team to do so will be awarded $5 million. Another $5 million will awarded in bonus prizes. The final deadline for winning the prize is December 31, 2014." Google.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by DEM0N]

top topics

join