It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That Masks are Useless. (i've been told)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
speaking as a hospital worker with direct patient contact....

the 3m N95 1860 mask is the standard mask used in hospitals for airborn precaution patients. it meets OSHA and CDC guidelines.

surgical masks, like those that we all see people in Mexico are totally useless. useless because junk coming out of the masks from infected people can go through or around the mask. it MUST be a form fitting mask.

we have to be tested yearly to make sure we are wearing the right sized mask so there are no leaks when wearing it.

at a minimum, you need the N95 mask. I have the N100 mask for my personal use at work and home.

They state that "every care workers who handle contagious patients, including those infected by SARS and the avian flu, wear masks that meet the N95 rating under the CDC's National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health."

the N95 is supposed to stop 95% of particles and the N100 100%

N masks are for non oil based particles and P masks are for oil based particles in addition to non oil based.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I am a long time reader but this is my first reply. After reading this thread I know that the face masks will not work plus everywhere is sold out already. (We checked) I am concerned about the new flu. My husband works in chemical plants here in TX and has a full-face respirator and half-face respirator. The cartridges for them are chemical cartages. Does anyone know if these will work for the new flu or tell me where I can find out the information? If these do not work; where can I purchase the correct type. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tmleleaux

they would probably work, since they are chemical and made to stop mists and vapor. would need to stop nano sized particles. could at least find out the cartridge specs at the manufacturer's web site

would be important to know how long each cartridge is made to last too.

added:
I get my N100 masks at coopersafety.com . fast shipping and reasonable pricing

[edit on 4/27/2009 by LiveFreeOrDie..]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
so basically most of people in mexico is getting infected....clever!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I have M3 after doing much research they are cost effective and do help protect. They have a small filter and have a rubber mount fit that totally stops air from coming in and out. Go to home depot or lowes, true value and get the M3 in the paint section, they have yellow bands around the filter that says M3.
This with a face shield for close contact where possable couching or sneezing is present. What do you think they use at the hospital? They are not all individually suited up with full on face masks.
Gloves are also a must.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by saralee]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I noticed that all nano masks are out or not currently available to buy. are they really out of stock?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeafRaz
I noticed that all nano masks are out or not currently available to buy. are they really out of stock?

Ya I've just noticed that too, that sucks because nano mask are the best.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
There have been no pigs found to be infected with swine flu therefore the ONLY effective mask is this one.

www.sillyjokes.co.uk...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join