It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driveways in D.C. Now a No-Parking Zone!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What the?!?

Just when I think I've seen and heard it all, some new, Big Brother totalitarian bully "law" springs into view that just boggles the mind...

Absolutely sickening...

That's right. The District of Columbia is ticketing people who park their cars in their own driveways.

"This is clearly an attempt by the city to extort money out of property owners," Anderson tells WTOP.

Anderson has received two of the $20 tickets in the past month. Anderson has owned the Capitol Hill house (and the driveway, so she thought) for more than ten years and has never gotten a ticket. And she's not alone.

It seems Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton has also been breaking the law in the eyes of the D.C. Department of Public Works.

"Not only has the Congresswoman been ticketed in her own driveway, she has received a towing ticket on her car parked in her driveway," writes Sonsyrea Tate Montgomery, a spokesperson for Norton.

Full Article:

www.wtop.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Now this is rediculous:

"Any area between the property line and the building restriction line shall be considered as private property set aside and treated as public space under the care and maintenance of the property owner."

So part of the property the owner paid for is private property, but is public space? Does that mean someone else could come and put a park bench in their driveway with an awning and sit around feeding pigeons?

Well like they say, if you don't like law get it changed. If you can't get the law changed, change the legislators.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is great...

I'm going to be in D.C. this weekend and parking is always a bit of an issue there. Good to know I can park my rental in a strangers driveway and they will take care of it.

Seriously though, D.C. strikes me as an odd place.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
There is a rite of way on all public roads in the US. No body in the US owns all the land they live on. It is BS that people are getting tickets but it's always been like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yeah, Parking Enforcement in DC are a piece of work ...

I once got a ticket for not having my front wheels pointed towards the sidewalk.

They have quotas, incentives, and in these tough budgetary times a militant approach to enforcement.

And so it goes ...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yet another reason to move to a different country or planet.[hehehe] Anywhose if parking in your own driveway is punishable by law I say go park in your congressman and womens driveway and charge them to park in their own and see how it feels. these peons forget their place and need to be reminded. I've seen this Eleanor Holmes woman interviewed and can't say I'm impressed by her lame tactics.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

No kidding, here's the kicker (emphasis mine):

When Anderson complained to a supervisor at DPW she was told that she could lease the property from the District and avoid future tickets. Anderson, who uses the house as a place of business to see clients and regularly has several cars in her large three car driveway, scoffs at that idea. "The city is not going to extort money out of me," she says.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted about this. What a bunch of shady SOB's!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Can we honestly say this is surprising? Any way for the government to scam money out of us... sheesh!

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is so crazy. I had to re-read to make sure I was understanding because there is not logic to this.

So if im understanding, if you own a house in Washington D.C. and you have a driveway for your house, you are not allowed to park your car on it? I just can not see how this is possible.
Don't people pay property taxes for their home?

What if the property owner put a [B]NO TRESSPASSING SIGN at the start of their property line, would this prevent them from trespassing and ticketing? Could the police be called? Are you allowed to fence in your driveway with a security gate?

My brain really is not comprehending this

[edit on 6-5-2009 by inked up]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ok. I just read this too:

"Any area between the property line and the building restriction line shall be considered as private property set aside and treated as public space under the care and maintenance of the property owner."

It's why you can get a ticket for drinking beer on your front porch in the Nation's Capital. You're technically on public space.

Are you kidding me? You are not legally allowed to drink beer on your front porch because your front porch is public space?
Remind me to never move to Washington D.C.

[edit on 6-5-2009 by inked up]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
And these bureaucrats want statehood?

Yeah, right.

Nuts.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well, I am not a bureaucrats and I believe what we are looking for is one representative not statehood.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquin

Take the metro rail. Dont even bother trying to drive.
)

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
There is a rite of way on all public roads in the US. No body in the US owns all the land they live on. It is BS that people are getting tickets but it's always been like that.

Respectfully, every piece of property is different. There are zoning laws that have been around for years, but a Right of Way must be deeded and recorded in the property description, it is usually paid for, and it is specific in its nature (ie. sewer access). Someone with one of these tickets could easily get an attorney and fight it with their recorded deed in hand, but that would cost more than $20. It is a racket.

Some neighborhoods have "restrictions" that all cars must be kept in garages, can't be parked on streets, no RV's, etc, but that is a civil issue, the Homeowner's associations have to spend money to go to court to enforce those rules.

I would love to see the deed of someone who received one of these tickets. The deeds are probably on the property appraiser's website, but I don't have time to look today. This was either in the closing documents that no one reads, or there is some city ordinance that your car cannot be parked within say 20 ft of a through-fare, that would make sense given the president's motorcade.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
As stupid and greedy as it all sounds....They're right.

It's the same here in Australia, we call them verges here, publicly owned land between the road and property line that the home owner has to look after and in most cities there are strict rules as to what you can put there.

I remember a recent story about a woman who had a vege garden on the verge, she got letters telling her to remove it because it didn't fit in with the local councils regulations.

I can't recall anyone getting fines for parking within the verge lines though, sounds like that particular council is a bit hard up for cash.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Isn't D. C. the town that elected the crackhead mayor? Then when he got out of prison they re-elected him. If so, then the laws in D.C. make perfect sense.

Instead of drug testing the poor factory workers who make a few pennies over minimum wage, we need to drug test legislators and city council members, governors, and mayors. Also legislators and council members need to blow a breathalyzer when returning from lunch. There is too much legislation while impaired going on.

[edit on 5-6-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Isn't D. C. the town that elected the crackhead mayor? Then when he got out of prison they re-elected him. If so, then the laws in D.C. make perfect sense.

You mean Bush or Barry?

youtube
(explicit)

[edit on 6 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I just entered "crackhead mayor" into google and everything returned Marion Barry. That is priceless. Yeah, I would have to say the voters of Washington D.C. got exactly what they voted for.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Question: Why did city planners allow developers to include driveways into the design of the housing developments if the city does not allow parking in said driveways

if it is public space, then why pollute it with worthless concrete if the use isn't intended for the parking of the resident's vehicles? Why not just leave the green space?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Read the text of the article again please. Note that it is referring to the private property between the building restriction line and the property line. In short, people's front lawns. Private property which is considered as public space because the government has the power to do that.

It isn't about using the land to serve the public interest or what is right or wrong. It's about money and power, just like most things in DC.

Oh, and those "I'll look into it...." responses from the bureaucrats......those are just another way of saying "go away and leave me alone." As a computer tech I gave people that answer all the time when I didn't want to deal with them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join