It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men in Black - Your help would be appreciated!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hello ATS- long time lurker here, first time poster. Go easy with me, I bruise! Fascinating site btw...

Okay, I'm one of these writers you've probably heard about. A professional one too, as it goes. Anyhow, I've been having a bit of a brainstorm over the last few months and have become interested in the idea of creating an original comic book story about Men in Black.

Don't worry though, this will be a serious go at the subject, not a good old funny romp like the Will Smith film. Perhaps something a little bleak about living with secrets. Maybe the idea of trading your own humanity to preserve the humanity of others? I have a few ideas I like and my artist pal has scamped up some great character design proposals. That's where we're up to anyway.

Anyhow, what I wanted to throw out to ATS is actually a cap-in-hand request. Would some of you nice people be kind enough to point me in the direction of any good resources about the subject?

I don't mind whether it's direct accounts or more theory based - what is most important to me is that you personally find it interesting. I've obviously been researching myself but I know you guys know how to dig really, really deep. Basically, I'm keen to make sure my idea isn't re-hashing old ones too much and to see if there's any juicy little tidbits I could perhaps use to tell a better story.

My sincerest apologies if this thread is inappropriate for this forum, I don't wish to waste anyone's time, but if anything immediately springs to mind, I'd be delighted to hear it!

Thanks in advance ATS and keep up the good work!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
From what Ive read about the Men in Black is that they're not protector's in any way shape or form. Most account's from people that have claimed dealings with them have one thing in common fear and unease. They tend to come away from it with a complete change of heart on what they were researching, and most cite that they were getting into some heavy stuff as far as secret information goes; and at that point the MIB stepped in to stop them at the threat of death. I wish I could think of a few places to grab story's but If I were you I would google "men in black true storys" or something along those lines. Plus Id suggest making it about someone on the run from them, At least that's the direction I would take as a writer myself
. Good Luck with the story!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IcarusWing

Hey buddy, welcome to the fray!

Sounds like this is going to be quite a project, and I hope it comes off well!!

Here's a few links to start off, though I'm sure there'll be more added by others to help you along.

Wikipedia MiBs

The Winter Hill Case

Malevolent Alien Species: MiBs

More Descriptions

Modern Accounts

Anomalies Network: MiBs

Poker Game With MiBs (?)

There you go! Should set you off on the right track.
Hopefully there'll be more input from other members too!

Peace

cdi

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

hi Icarus
always had a soft spot for comics.
try this oct 27th 1975, tripp pond, androscoggin county, maine, usa. david stephens and friend 'paul'

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
You may also want to check out the comic book section of BTS. Here's a link.

BTS Comics.

Those folks should be able to help quite a bit.

Hope that helps,

wupy

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

British Ufologist Jenny Randles has written a very interesting book on the subject

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b54bf3754703.jpg[/atsimg]

When "The Truth Behind Men In Black" was first published to correspond with the comedy film "Men In Black," I assumed it was a hasty rehash of familiar cases and didn't read it. I overlooked a gem; Randles' "The Truth Behind Men In Black" is simply the best book about the bizarre "Men In Black" phenomenon I've read, addressed with skepticism, wit and good journalism. Randles not only cites compelling cases you've likely never heard of, but furnishes a chillingly plausible explanation for who the notorious "Men In Black" really are--but not before exploring exotic possibilities a la John Keel's "The Mothman Prophecies." "The Truth Behind Men In Black" is both a balanced treatment of a myth in the making and a rare look at a hidden, thoroughly disturbing reality. This is a must for readers not afraid to look behind the curtain of mainstream ufology.

www.mactonnies.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Hi AwolScout... Thanks for your advice. Y'know, I love the idea of a story about someone running away. My idea happens to be from the MIB's perspective at the moment although there will be 'running' characters.

I also love the idea of this sense of 'fear' that accompanies the MIB. This is actually quite central to one of my ideas. For me, it's one of the most interesting parts... not least as it could become on of the central conflicts for the MIBs themselves!

Thanks very much for your input!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

Hi PH,

Thanks very much for the welcome. You guys are being great.

Thanks also for the heads-up on the stories. I like some of them a lot! I particularly like all the stuff about imperfect grammar and the idea of clones. I'm not sure how this would work with my story but I think there's definitely something in it all.

Okay, small idea I've had. What if one of these MIB's isn't actually human and communicates by telepathically 'scanning' his subject's mind, using bits and pieces of their vocabulary to make his own? Might be a good explanation for that? Sort of like a telepathic babel fish I guess!

Thanks for your input... Manchester UK here myself btw...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Hi Wupy,

Thanks very much for the link.

As it happens, I'm not much of a comic book guy myself. I really like the idea of comics but I'm not much into superheroes. For me, it was Maus, V for Vendetta and Fables that really turned my head. Animal Man and Preacher have been entertaining me of late also!

Will def give a shout out to the BTS crowd though, thanks very much!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Hi Karl,

Bingo... just what I'm looking for. Thanks very much, man.

Never mind the recession, Amazon will be making a sale today.

Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IcarusWing
reply to post by karl 12

Hi Karl,

Bingo... just what I'm looking for. Thanks very much, man.

Never mind the recession, Amazon will be making a sale today.

Thanks for the heads up!

No probs matey, happy reading -it realy is a very good book

Handy link:
www.ufoevidence.org...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Maybe the MIB read ats. I would think that they do. I believe they are aliens who control our government. I wonder if other nations experience them. Maybe your book could be about an "around the world" adventure of different nationalities of MIB. Sounds weird, huh?
Oh well that's my 2 cents. Welcome to ats and happy writing!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here is what I suggest for making a comic book about men in Black. Firstly, drop the comic book idea. You stated two oxymoron’s in your first post. “Serious” and “Comic Book”. Im’ sorry my friend, but you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Besides, comic book sales are not the greatest. Comic books can rarely be “serious” because serious implies heavy dialog and in depth plots. A comic book can bring up serious subject, but only in a superficial or point of fact manner to give the main hero or villain some depth.

If you are “Serious” about your Men in Black being “Serious” then you need to go for the standard book and drop the limited comic book format. You can add a lot of artwork to a serious novel no problem. Most authors fail to spend the money on it though. All they think about is cover art, However, look how much good art work has added to the storyline of Lord of the Rings.

Go with a standard novel with some added artwork (not a graphic novel), forget the comic book.

new topics

top topics

join