It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cabin crew member in hospital after flight from swine flu-struck Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Cabin crew member in hospital after flight from swine flu-struck Mexico

www.guardian.co.uk

A member of cabin crew was taken to hospital with "flu-like symptoms" today after falling ill on a British Airways flight from Mexico City to Heathrow.

The World Health Organisation has warned countries to be on alert for any unusual flu outbreaks after a swine flu virus was implicated in possibly dozens of human deaths in Mexico.

The BA employee, who has not been named, has been taken to Northwick Park hospital in Harrow, a hospital spokesman said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Surviving the Swine Flu

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I know that this isnt a 100% confirmed case but what are the implications for the first case of swine flu outside the US and Mexico.

how many people were on that flight and how many to a connections all across the globe.

Personally i think maybe just maybe this is the moment the the unmentionables hit the fan.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm sure cases in the UK will start to appear soon enough. Me and my partner have been talking about it all and have already decided to do a load of shopping runs from Monday "just in case". There will have been alot of people going to Mexico from the UK in the past few weeks and also many returning now and shortly from holidays there. It takes just one person to bring it here and so it begins here too.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just been catching up on all this news about Flu and what not, then I see this. So i turn around to my work colleague who has just got back from Cuba and ask him, nonchalontly, wether his aircraft stopped off in Mexico before going to Havana.

Turns out his missus is ill with a "cold" right now...

Wish I'd not come into work now....

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
My father just informed me that a woman from his work just got back from Mexico and isn't feeling too well. Great. This is scary.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
mmmm i was going to be booking a holiday in the next few days,i HAD my eyes on the dominican repeblic and cancun, i think i might just leave it for now.

I might vistit the arctic circle, can influenza survive the extreme cold?

more sourcesbbc

and

daily mail

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by antuk
mmmm i was going to be booking a holiday in the next few days,i HAD my eyes on the dominican repeblic and cancun, i think i might just leave it for now.

Put the holiday on hold.
Get a good book - or your computer - kick back and patiently watch
what unfolds. I would suggest everyone - just learn to sit and wait -
stay out of large groups - until we have a little more time under our belts.
This situation deserves respect.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hmm Well what ever its going to get here sooner or later so I'm going to make sure i at least start looking after my self and loved ones, I'm going to get get vit C in and start eating lots of raw veggies, Even ordering my own mask,

not that I'm really panicked or anything but other peoples panic make things worse,
If people panic then food gets low and the things we do need will run out,

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by antuk

I might vistit the arctic circle, can influenza survive the extreme cold?

more sourcesbbc

and

daily mail

I would advise against any travel right now. So far Canada hasn't had a confirmed case of this new Swine Flu but so far one Ontario man is being tested for the illness and two people from Montreal are in hospital after visiting Mexico.

The less that people move around the less this can spread. Stay away from large groups, airports and any large places of transportation (train stations, harbours...). Wash your hands!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Stay out of large groups, you say?

I'm a natural recluse and would love nothing better than to stay in on my computer while the world burns. Shame my missus won't let me!

Needless to say, I am somewhat concerned sat here at work now with someone who has just flown back from the region who's wife is ill with a "cold".

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'd say get the hell out of there and avoid going near that person. Avoid contact with anyone else then see the doctor/authorities and make them aware of the situation. Get a vaccine for Flu ASAP, drug yourself up with as much Antibiotics as possible and Vitamin C and avoid going out for a week by which time if you havent had any symptoms, you'll be fine.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Isn't it about time to shut down all flights coming from Mexico?

Quick!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Ha, easier said than done. I have a job to do and unfortunately I am the only one here tonight who can do it. I finish for the week at 0700 so I'll take my chances and sit it out.

I drink plenty of OJ and eat my greens, so I'm dosed up on the Vitamins already. I'm not one for panicking, I had the flu last year where I could barely walk or breath and had a temp fo 41 c, but still didn't go to the doctors

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Isn't it about time to shut down all flights coming from Mexico?

Quick!

Yes! Wouldn't you think that would be the first thing that we would do???
Confusing - that this was not an immediate reaction.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Antibiotics are not effective against viruses. Antibiotics are used to treat secondary infections, they do not work against colds or the flu.

The flu vaccine commonly available here in the US is not effective against this new strain from Mexico.

A virus has an incubation period--the time between exposure and the victim showing the first symptoms. I usually figure for the common cold it takes about 48 hours to show symptoms. If you were infected with this swine flu I doubt you would become immediately sick, or sick in a matter of a few hours.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Charis

That is exactly right!!! They are trying to downplay the emergency with saying they have a vaccine. NO THEY DON'T This is a new strain, hell the current vaccinations don't work that great either, they mostly just give people Guillian-Barre any way.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by spinkyboo

Stay out of large groups, you say?

I'm a natural recluse and would love nothing better than to stay in on my computer while the world burns. Shame my missus won't let me!

Needless to say, I am somewhat concerned sat here at work now with someone who has just flown back from the region who's wife is ill with a "cold".

I'm also a natural recluse - I love the silence.
I have talked my Mr. into keeping things close to home for a few days while this is monitored. He's struggling with it - but he knows I'm not too mental - and that I'm just looking out for us.

I just read your other post about your co-workers wife -your in a building without circulation? It's a weird predicament isn't it? It really gets you in touch with the whole mortality thing. Unknown illness and emergency situations do that.
Thinking positive...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I have no idea about this flu, about how it works.

Can anyone quickly tell me how it spreads?

And in theory if one was to stay inside their home without leaving can they not catch it. Meanign the flu cannot travel through the air into your house from a neighbour for example?

Also I heard something like this virus is more dangerous to "healthy" younger people!?

I have a feeling this is just another event that will soon be forgotten, no big deal. I sure hope I'm right!

[edit on 25-4-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Jesus, at least quarantine the plane and people on it for a week+ as soon as it lands. Of course if symptoms take a while to propagate then you can't, but if someone falls ill on a plane and it's suspected that he/she could cause mass deaths, don't just take him to a hospital of all places, where the virus will spread easily to the many weak people there, to visitors of those people, and out into the country with ease.

It sounds harsh to the other people on the plane, but I do think that's where we're headed if this does turn bad. Like something out of 24. Healthy might have to be sacrificed if there is a chance of them being infected. Of course if many thousands end up dying to it, I'd expect travel to be cut off by most countries anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AR154
Jesus, at least quarantine the plane and people on it for a week+ as soon as it lands. Of course if symptoms take a while to propagate then you can't, but if someone falls ill on a plane and it's suspected that he/she could cause mass deaths, don't just take him to a hospital of all places, where the virus will spread easily to the many weak people there, to visitors of those people, and out into the country with ease.

It sounds harsh to the other people on the plane, but I do think that's where we're headed if this does turn bad. Like something out of 24. Healthy might have to be sacrificed if there is a chance of them being infected. Of course if many thousands end up dying to it, I'd expect travel to be cut off by most countries anyway.

You would think they would take extreme precautions?

Wouldn't you?

but NO

Why not shut down the border and quarantine?

To many rules, to many regulation, to much red tape, loss of common sense,

political correctness

top topics

<<   2 >>

join