It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 439
<< 436  437  438    440  441  442 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hi everyone,
just signed up to say that I really appreciate this thread. I had been reading ATS occasionally, but this thread has become very important to me and I would like to thank the contributors for their hard work.

As for the 'debate' between panic and calm, let me just say that I deem it very inappropriate to tag the attempts in this thread as fear-mongering or such. If you take responsibility and read a little bit about viruses, past pandemics, pandemic patterns etc., you will know that, even given the "official" information available, a pandemic seems to be not unfathomable, but rather very probable. What it will be like, no one can know. But it is good to be prepared for the possibility of this becoming a major crisis, be it probable or not. As it unfolds, I get the feeling that this is "just a regular pandemic", like the last two last ones, which is bad enough to justify a certain level of preparedness.

So, to actually contribute something, let me point out that the WHO numbers seem to show (minor?) insonsistencies with official numbers within states, or they just lag behind. Let's take Germany, as an example:

Stand 22.05.2009, 13.00 Uhr In Deutschland wurden zwei weitere Fälle der neuen Grippe (Influenza A/H1N1) positiv getestet. Dabei handelt es sich um Familienmitglieder der 43-jährigen Frau aus Nordrhein-Westfalen, die am 20.05.2009 positiv getestet worden war. Die Frau und ihr Mann waren aus den USA nach Deutschland zurückgekehrt, die Tochter war nicht in den USA gewesen. Insgesamt sind damit neun Erkrankungsfälle aus Mexiko und drei Fälle aus den USA eingeschleppt worden (die beiden Staaten mit den weitaus meisten Fällen). Fünf Übertragungen sind in Deutschland aufgetreten. Die 17 Fälle [...]

Source: www.rki.de...

It basically says there are two new infections. A Woman who returned from the USA infected two family members. Total number of infected is 17.

But in the current WHO update it still lists 14 cases. One could argue that this is because the two new cases are very new. But Germany had a 15th case for a few days and it had not been acknowledged in the WHO update.

So, just pointing out, there seem to be sync issues.

Anyway, once again, thanks for all your contributions, please keep going!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've been following this thread for about a week and have valued the information that was shared in a timely manner. Perhaps I missed something, but it doesn't seem that anyone has commented on the clinical data provided today on the WHO website. It describes clinical data for many of the Mexican deaths and summarizes some information from the U.S. hospitalizations. I'm not in the health field, so much of the terminology is new to me. I found it comforting that they are actually sharing some real data. On the other hand they are only claiming about 50% of the people died had existing health issues. Some of the worst cases are alarming- they mention necrosis (sp?). I'm hoping someone with a medical education will look at the data and comment. Thanks!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Swine flu hitting local schoolkids
Seattle

The rapid spread of so-called “swine flu” among local school children shows that the virus is not fading away, a top regional health official said Thursday.
“We’re not out of the woods at all,” said Dr. Jeff Duchin, chief of epidemiology for Public Health – Seattle and King County.
Nearly 70 percent of the confirmed cases in King County are in children between the ages of 5 and 18, Duchin told a special meeting of the King County Board of Health.

Confirmed cases are “only the tip of the iceberg” in terms of the total number of infections. Area emergency rooms also are reporting increasing numbers of sick children, he said.
The levels of infection in school-aged children seem to be slightly higher than during a normal flu season, Duchin said. Most of the illnesses are mild, though 11 school-aged children were hospitalized….

Link to article

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Australia ups swine flu pandemic threat level

SYDNEY (AFP) – Australia upped its pandemic threat level, invoking sweeping powers allowing for the closure of schools, public places and major events as the number of confirmed swine flu cases reached 12.

Link

[edit on 22-5-2009 by lunieri]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Assuming It’s Swine Flu

FG/CH NewsMay 22, 2009, 2:22 pm

The update on the flu-like illness that prompted the closure of MS 113
through next Tuesday is that there’s probably not going to be an update. As in the cases of the other 30 or so public schools that it has shut down due to illness in recent weeks, the Health Department does no plan to test the students who went home sick from MS 113 for swine flu, which prefers to be known as the H1N1 virus.

The odds are that they do have H1N1, and knowing for sure would not help much at this point in the epidemiological cycle, said Jessica Scaperotti, a spokeswoman for the Health Department.

“Because we already know that the H1N1 virus is in the community, and most likely if you are sick right now you probably have the H1N1 virus, there’s no need for us to test every possible single case,” he said. “So we’re only testing in cases where there is severe illness or an unusual cluster."

Rest of the story at the link above.

Not getting tested, just assume you have it. Is that a proactive approach? I just thought that was kind of funny.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
My two cents.........maybe a nickel

Just to inform those skeptics that seem to want to take over this thread...

Eighty percent of what ecoparity has spoken about from his souces I can colaborate through my source.....that is topics relating exactly what the CDC is doing and the direction the virus is headed.......

I don't talk to my sources everyday as does ecoparity........I have only talked to my sources three times since May 1st.......

There are security reasons for the once a week update.......I will just leave it at that........

Without going into detail.......everyone knows who has been following the thread the potential direction of this virus..........Everyone is still in the dark to some degree of what exactly will happen next..........But the one thing I can promise you is that what you are hearing in the media/gov is far from the truth behind the scene.........

The 20% I have not confirmed of ecoparity postings is the drop dead version of this virus.........I will bring it up this weekend if I get the chance.......

I do feel there is an attempt to drive this thread along the lines of what is being reported in the media.........

So I am not sure if the thread will continue being the source for intel other than what can be dragged out of the media.............

Thats my nickel........Everyone in the US have a good holiday weekend

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
U.S. Lays Out $1 Billion for Swine Flu Vaccine

May 22, 2009 ABC News about 1 hr ago

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said today that it has at least one, and possibly two versions of the new swine flu virus that may help drug makers develop a vaccine against the novel strain.

The first of these so-called "seed viruses" is a bit like a microscopic Frankenstein, consisting of pieces from the new strain combined with other viral fragments that will allow the virus to grow well in chicken eggs -- a preliminary step in the vaccine-making process.

The other was created through reverse genetics, a newer technique.

Once the CDC sends these template viruses to drug manufacturers -- probably by the end of next week -- the companies can use them to begin cranking out pilot lots

My question is how many variation of this are there now?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I agree some are trying to put in that we should just believe the MSM. Fat chance on that one from me anyway. I post some stuff from the MSM hoping that some one can rip it apart and show the lies they are trying to sell to everyone.

Kind of like my last post from ABC news. 2 variations of the swine flu. I would assume that everytime it goes from one person to another it could turn into another variation. I may be wrong on that if some cares to correct me. Please do

[edit on 5/22/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I searched and found that 2 H1N1 victims who died had enlarged hearts.

A 21 year old male from Arkansas (he was visiting Africa) died unexpectedly after falling ill. The only thing noted on the autopsy was an enlarged heart.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Scripts Researchers say sphingosine analog AAL-R can block the immune system response triggering a "cytokine storm."
Link

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I just find it very odd that every other country in the world has a different view of this sickness than we do in the states..Our economy must be hanging on by a shoestring..

It still doesnt make the illness anydifferent from the US to the Uk or Australia..Just how the PTG are treating it..

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

What I have posted has been for the purpose of what it is "News and Updates".
The believability of it is another question.

My personal view of it,is that it is masses friendly.
A little bit of and bending of the truth for appeasement.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

And here is the beauty of this thread! As posted several pages back, this is the same attitude expressed by doctors and officials at our local Health Department. This thing has spread so far and the number of tests has purposely been reduced so the truth is impossible to find, impossible!

After a solid week of being on medication I am finally having some relief now. I counted and I was sick for a full 3 weeks from start to now. I am still very congested but the overall malaise has passed, now to hope this does not do a comeback.

I want to throw my support in for eco and all the others that have kept us up to speed on this developing situation. I do hope that the thread will continue on as it has been, if people don't agree they are free to disagree. I for one am not buying a bit of the crap they are trying to sell. If there is no need for concern why all the lies?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ok, I just watched a report on fox News with David Lee Miller reporting from NY (this is a paraphrase from television, not something in print).
"Four more schools closed in NY"....
"Parents are angry and confused"....
"..parents are NOT trusting what is coming from the Government(!) right now"....
"100's are infected, and the school systems are petri dishes for infection"...."for the largest school system in the country".

and finally, the usual "economic ramifications" ....

Sorry for the quick type job! Trying to repeat what I just heard, and typing fast. there seems to be a backlash developing rather quickly from the way it sounded, and lots of anger directed towards the city officials.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
New numbers from Canada.

Cases of H1N1 Flu Virus in Canada

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is committed to sharing information about H1N1 flu virus cases with Canadians. Confirmed cases are posted Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4 p.m. EDT.

As of May 22 2009, a total of 805 laboratory-confirmed cases of H1N1 flu virus have been reported in 9 provinces and 1 territory in Canada

www.phac-aspc.gc.ca...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
As to those who are over 60 being less effected by this virus than usual, and them showing about a 1/3 chance of having some sort of antibodies that might fight this H1N1, AND people wondering why certain countries seem less impacted in total numbers by serious reactions.......

Well, if your country has a demographic that is largely in the age ranges that are most effected....like say Mexico....

From IndexMundi:
0-14 years: 29.6% (male 16,619,995/female 15,936,154)
15-64 years: 64.3% (male 34,179,440/female 36,530,154)
65 years and over: 6.1% (male 3,023,185/female 3,666,472) (2008 est.)

You'll have more deaths and severe reactions.

But if your country has a demographic which is significantly outside of the target demographic, and has a greater number in the the potentially resistant population....like say Canada....

From Wiki Demographics of Canada
0-4 864,600 2.7% 825,940 2.6%
5-9 926,855 2.9% 882,520 2.8%
10-14 1,065,860 3.3% 1,014,060 3.2%
15-19 1,095,285 3.5% 1,045,205 3.3%
20-24 1,047,950 3.3% 1,032,435 3.3%
25-29 975,945 3.1% 1,009,635 3.2%
30-34 987,730 3.1% 1,032,515 3.3%
35-39 1,083,495 3.4% 1,124,780 3.6%
40-44 1,285,535 4.1% 1,324,925 4.2%
45-49 1,290,125 4.1% 1,330,470 4.2%
50-54 1,158,970 3.7% 1,198,330 3.8%
55-59 1,026,395 3.2% 1,058,230 3.3%
60-64 780,135 2.5% 809,730 2.6%
65-69 593,810 1.9% 640,770 2.0%
70-74 493,460 1.6% 560,320 1.8%
75-79 386,485 1.2% 493,095 1.6%
80-84 251,420 0.8% 395,285 1.3%
85+ 161,930 0.5% 358,680 1.1%
Totals 15,475,970 49.0% 16,136,930 51.0%

Thats

60+ being 19% of the population.

If the first reports I linked showing that the age range that seems to have some resistance is actually the 50 and over range, in Canada that number of people with a potential resistance goes up to 33% of the population. People under 14 are only about 18% of the population.

Is the reason why Canada has such significantly different outcomes starting to become clearer?

[edit on 2009/5/22 by Aeons]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Baby admitted to Sick Kids with swine flu

A 1-year-old child has been hospitalized in Toronto after contracting swine flu, which aggravated an existing lung problem, according to a source.

The child is in stable condition at the Hospital for Sick Children, suffering from a flare-up of the pre-existing respiratory condition, triggered by the H1N1 virus. In the past week, the child was admitted, discharged and then re-admitted to hospital.

Earlier in the week, an 8-year-old was hospitalized at Sick Kids after the virus exacerbated an underlying condition, according to the source. That child has since been discharged.

Over at Toronto Western Hospital, a 60-year-old man with congestive heart failure and H1N1 is on life support. His condition is deteriorating.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Rome schools ordered closed after H1N1 flu cases

22 May 2009 08:18:41 GMT
Source: Reuters

ROME, May 22 (Reuters) - Two Rome high schools have been ordered closed for a week after four students caught the H1N1 flu virus on a school trip to New York, Italy's Health Ministry said on Friday.

Four boys who returned from the United States this week in a group of students and teachers from two schools in central Rome went to hospital after showing flu symptoms. They were later confirmed to have the new strain, also known as swine flu.

Deputy Health Minister Ferruccio Fazio said in a statement the schools would be shut for seven days to avoid further infection. School authorities said they had not yet received orders to send students home. (Writing by Stephen Brown)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Spain quarantines soldiers after new flu outbreak

22 May 2009
Source: Reuters

MADRID, May 22 (Reuters) - The Spanish army has quarantined dozens of soldiers in a Madrid barracks after 11 fell ill with what doctors suspect is the new flu virus, the health ministry said on Friday. Six of the soldiers were admitted to a specially sealed ward in a military hospital while doctors completed tests on Friday to see whether they had contracted the H1N1 strain of the virus, which has infected more than 11,000 people globally and killed at least 85

The rest of the story is at the above link.... This thing is still trucking right along.

What are the odds on this burning out this summer and comming back in the fall. Or is it hear to stay and won't burn out?

I am just trying to keep the info rolling during the slow hours. I hope no one minds

[edit on 5/22/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
NY1Eight More Schools Close Due To Flu Scare As Four Others ReopenNY1, NYThe United Federation of Teachers has set up 11 hotlines in the five boroughs to gather information on school flu outbreaks and school closings. The Department of Education is now posting daily attendance rates for every public school in New York City. ...SWINE FLU UPDATE: Worries grip Corona parents as school closings ... YourNabe.comall 7 news articles

top topics

<< 436  437  438    440  441  442 >>

join