It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 438
<< 435  436  437    439  440  441 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xtr3m3paranoia
Just heard on my local news that theres the first confirmed case of pig flu in my town , Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, UK

Im so glad my kids have broken up for half term this week as im very concerned. Fortunately I have stocked up on supplies so we can quarantine ourselves and keep an eye on whats happening outside.

Thanks again to the 6 or so main posters for all your updates and contributions to this thread. You know who you are!

oh great thats like a few miles from where i live, high wycombe

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Scien tists Trace Genetic Ancestry Of Swine Flu

The genes of the H1N1 swine flu have been circulating undetected among pigs for at least a decade, says a team of researchers of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Rebecca Garten led colleagues to sequence the genomes of more than 50 samples of the flu in Mexico and the US.

Their findings are published in the journal Science.

Cases of the H1N1 virus have been reported in more than 11,000 people spanning 42 countries. The virus has killed at least 75 people in Mexico, 10 in the US and one in both Canada and Costa Rica.

Garten’s team carefully studied the genetics of the virus to discover that all eight gene segments have closely related swine ancestors. Scientists said this could suggest that the virus could have been in existence for years among pigs.

So now there back to blaming pigs. I guess the pork industry will have to do a new article to deny it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

No, I think you covered it in your first two sentences very well.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

I for one don't want any of you to leave!! Please continue with the informative discussions...otherwise we will learn nothing!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Glad we're back to the updates.

Here's an article about the guy in Chile...

Chilean man attacked in Argentina over swine flu symptoms

A Chilean tennis coach who tried to evade swine flu monitors on the Chile-Argentine border ended up being attacked at an Argentinian hospital and defended by police shooting rubber bullets, the authorities said Friday. According to Sergio Saracco, Health Minister in the southern Argentine province of Mendoza, the man who had symptoms compatible with the new influenza A(H1N1) failed Wednesday in his attempt to cross the border in a private car.

Argentine health control mechanisms at the Cristo Redentor border pass detected that he had a high temperature and asked him to return to Chile.

However, he tried again a day later, by public bus. In the Andean town of Los Horcones, Argentine migration control again detected the symptoms and sent him to the Lencinas hospital in the Mendoza suburb of Godoy Cruz.

After a radio station reported on the imminent arrival of the sick man, people gathered at the hospital.

When the bus arrived, they threw stones at it and insulted its occupants, shouting things like "Take them somewhere else!" and "Get them out of here!"

Police had to shoot rubber bullets late Thursday to protect the man and other passengers of the bus. At least two people were injured, according to Argentine media reports from Friday.

The man, 29, is a tennis coach and was travelling with a minor who was set to compete at a tournament in the Argentine city of Cordoba. The girl was also under observation.

Saracco described the attackers as "misinformed people who acted in a wrong way."

"The situation is under control from a medical point of view," he noted.

In Argentina there is only one confirmed case of the new flu, while there are 24 in Chile.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Canadian researchers found that this flu is related to the 1918 flu.

The supposition here is that farm workers (possibly in Canada) gave the flu to the pigs in 1918-1919. It has been passing and mutating amoungst pigs ever since. That it eventually mutated back into a form that is community infective amoungst humans.

The other possibility that I haven't seen but might be supported by the demographic groups that seem to have some resistance to this flu - that the 1951 flu was also this scenario.

Which would mean that you could look to the 1951 flu and the 1918 flu to see how this one might pan out.

[edit on 2009/5/22 by Aeons]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Eco,you and the others (You know who you are) are well respected by many,many people who contribute or just read this thread.
All of you have helped in preparing those of us who have listened for the
eventuallity of the full impact.

Please make good use of the ignore button and leave those that are probably as many were in 1918.Not thinking it would get worse.

I have been just a reader for most of this thread and have just over the last 2 days started to contribute.I would not like to see the selfless help by you eco and the rest be gone from here.
May this thread continue to be for what it was intended and not for the low
standard that we are currently seeing.

I really think a Mod should step in.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
crookedNUN: swine flu, quakes, lord dear, the only thing the mexicans did was pedal dope for the central americans... and cross the borders w/ fake ids
less than 10 seconds ago from web

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

I heard a rumour that there were 2 confirmed cases in MK over a week ago from people that work close to the infected people. Its only on the news and being made 'official' today so I expect there's more by now

Sorry to jump on the band wagon but I saw a few pages back someone saying about pig flu being a bit of an over reaction because there arent infected people wondering around clogging up ER's? Where I live there are signs in all the GP surgeries and ER telling anyone with symptoms to stay home in quarantine and call their doctor. Unless your half dead and need emergency care no one is interested.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I do not believe this to be so.

Genes of flu virus not so new.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The most complete analysis yet of the new H1N1 swine flu virus shows it must have been circulating undetected for years, most likely in pigs, researchers said on Friday.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
I do not believe this to be so.

Genes of flu virus not so new.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The most complete analysis yet of the new H1N1 swine flu virus shows it must have been circulating undetected for years, most likely in pigs, researchers said on Friday.

Well I linked it way back in this thread, but in the mean time some researchers in Kansas have found the same thing.

www.pigprogress.net...

My previous link way way back was from CBC I believe.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
H1N1 Strain May Have Been Undetected in Pigs for Years

It's likely that other novel strains have also emerged but have not been noticed, according to Rebecca Garten, Ph.D., of the CDC and colleagues.
The circumstances that led to the development of the current novel strain and its emergence from animal hosts to cause human disease remain unknown, Dr. Garten and colleagues said online today in Science.

If thats the story there going to go back to it would then make some of my first post on this thread true again. Xenotransplantation into humans of pig pancreatic islets to cure diabetics created a bridge between human and pig diseases.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

46/3 gives 15 1/3 million deaths instead of the 22 million figure.

I'm thinking we can't figure that number, because we don't have a clue what the real mortality rates currently are.

If 1/3 get infected, and only x% get it bad enough to get tested, then we're not seeing the numbers infected correctly. Not only that, but some death certificates seemed to be fudged. So both parts of the ratio needed to accurately come up with a mortality rate are skewed.

It only makes sense that the WHO/CDC will skew these numbers in favor of a low mortality rate. Let's look at what the government does for unemployment. The real #'s are much higher then reported. Some say about double. I think this is a rough ballpark.

I'm thinking cases are 10x-50x real figures, plus deaths are 20-100x.

Pure speculation, but we've gotta be filling in the gaps as best as possible, based on the information and what it infers.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by unityemissions]

[edit on 22-5-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xtr3m3paranoia
reply to post by jonny2410

Sorry to jump on the band wagon but I saw a few pages back someone saying about pig flu being a bit of an over reaction because there arent infected people wondering around clogging up ER's? Where I live there are signs in all the GP surgeries and ER telling anyone with symptoms to stay home in quarantine and call their doctor. Unless your half dead and need emergency care no one is interested.

What would you like them to do? Where should those people be? What actions should be taken other than that?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
H1N1 Strain May Have Been Undetected in Pigs for Years

It's likely that other novel strains have also emerged but have not been noticed, according to Rebecca Garten, Ph.D., of the CDC and colleagues.
The circumstances that led to the development of the current novel strain and its emergence from animal hosts to cause human disease remain unknown, Dr. Garten and colleagues said online today in Science.

If thats the story there going to go back to it would then make some of my first post on this thread true again. Xenotransplantation into humans of pig pancreatic islets to cure diabetics created a bridge between human and pig diseases.

Not necessarily. Pigs are a known resevoir for virus transmission between other animals and humans.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fence_rider
It's official, this is a thread bashing lull?

I agree and it's sad. Although I don't post often, I have been coming to ATS for many years. I would hope it is known (if you'll think about this) that tptb love it when those of us that are aware/awake spend their most precious time "bashing' one another. Personally, I believe fear, hate, arguing and all these negative emotions does nothing but help tptb along with their agenda.

Some know more....some know less. What's important is everyone here on ATS is searching for truth..or at least most. I don't watch or listen to the MSM. I welcome skeptics; they make me think. And since I don't know what the MSM is saying, I like reading their stats. Come on people. Aren't we all capable of eating the meat and spitting out the bones? Let's use some of the vast knowledge here on ATS and turn it into wisdom.

None of us have all the answers. If anyone does, I'd love to hear them...seriously. I've been at this conspiracy thing since '83 and my puzzle is still lacking many pieces. Much of my puzzle has been pieced together because of ATS....MUCH. Let's not get side tracked by our differences, but rather discuss our likenesses.

I have limited time to read this thread everyday. Today I've learned just how this whole oinking flu has affected even those that are awake. I've caught myself arguing with a neighbor of 10 years over this virus. I have to go get things done now. I love ATS. Let's not give tptb what they want.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

In order to make the transplants take place they use immunodepressant drugs to weaken the human subject in order to stop the human body from rejecting the foreign pig cells. In other words they destroy the white blood cells ability to fight infections. And guess where te experiments all started in Mexico City. Valdes-Gonzalez ''Clinical trial of islet xenotransplantation in Mexico''.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK
Hmmm seems PMT has set it....

I'll be back when everyone calms down..

Cant you all just do what we have been doing for the last month?

Post your opinion join in with opinions you connect to...and ignore what you dont like reading.. or is that just me

Like I said... I don't do hysterics... Have a good weekend my lovelies!! Have a super duper time

Sorry for bothering you!

But aren't you a copper?

Your inside information could for us be invalueable!

So please spill the beans when times due - por favor!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So they don't know...

Taken from CDC Telebriefing on Investigation of Human Cases of H1N1 Flu
May 21, 2009, 12 noon ET

Operator: Thank you. The last question comes from Beth Galvin with Fox. You may ask your question.

Beth Galvin: Hi, Dr. Schuchat, thank you for taking my call. I was wondering if you could talk about the hypothesis that older adults might have been exposed to the strain of flu, is this the 77 flu? The 57 flu? What are you thinking?

Anne Schuchat: I think one possibility is that older people might have been exposed to H1N1 strains a long time ago that might have some relation to the strain we're seeing now. Our virologists have compared it to all these other strains and this is really different. This is not a close, genetic relative of any of the H1N1s that have been a problem in people, but the immunologic characteristics might be different than the genetic characteristics and so it would be very great if older people had been exposed to some H1N1 a long time ago that had some relationship with this one immunologically and that might lead to that pre-existing immune they we hope is there, but we're not sure is there. So we don't have a particular virus that we're thinking about because the genetic characteristics are so different, but we are wondering about whether there were some viruses around back in the '30s, '40s or '50s that might be immunologically similar to the one we're seeing now.

new topics

top topics

<< 435  436  437    439  440  441 >>

join