It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castle on a Tor...in Indiana...What is this place?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The Mystery of Mount Metamora

In Franklin County in Eastern Indiana lies a place so steeped in mystery that the observer has no boundaries in imagination. The seemingly artifical hilltop compels one to reach back to the mystery of ancient energy, lay lines and beyond. Like the Thor in Glastonbury, England, it is adorned by a stone tower of medieval character. It is a mystery….

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f6abf845f0ef.jpg[/atsimg]
The Castle on Mount Metamora

The only information that seems to be available on the castle...leads to more questions.

The “castle” is a recent (2005) medieval reconstruction, one mile west of Metamora on U.S. 52. The main purpose of the structure seems to be to attract attention, and inspire questions like.....
What is it ?
Who built it ?
Why ?

Franklin County History

Even more perplexing, the castle sits on the top of a hill that looks....well....completely artificial and even terraced.

It's Google Earth coordinates are: 39°25′43″N 85°07′53″W

Mount Metamora rises steeply to 871 feet at the front entrance to the castle towering above the nearby road which lies at 698 feet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ce80a7d7225.jpg[/atsimg]

I have searched in vain over the past year or so trying to find out any information about this location. It's a complete mystery. Any suggestions on what the purpose of this might be or where perhaps to search for information on similar structures is appreciated.

It resembles a Tor and is just plunked down in Indiana without explanation. It just begs the question, Why?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It is a reconstruction. How is it mysterious? Somebody wanted a castle on a hill, so built one.

Excuse me, if I am missing making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
A few more photos of the "hill" and castle...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9454814c7938.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d126a591b4f.jpg[/atsimg]
Castle Under Construction

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have family from Ireland in this area...
and will ask about this.
You might want to check out this link...

medievalnews.blogspot.com...

I did not read through all of the article. I do know that the Medieval Society at the University is huge...and really big on re-enactments. Perhaps this lovely castle was built for their use.

Peace...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
its a jewish temple. near metamora i believe. i've been by it thousands of times. nothing suspicious going on there! haha. there should be a sign right next to the road that ascends to it that says something like "temple of the jews" or something of that kind of nature

[edit on 24-4-2009 by Wes225]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just looks like someone who loves castles and such and is building a home. Ive traveled all over the country and I have seen many homes that were built to resemble castles. There is a great one in Malibu, CA with ocean views!

I seriously doubt there is anything conspiratorial about this

How about some more information, like the address or the city this is in?

[edit on 4/24/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

It is curious because even the local townspeople don't know who built it or why?

It's close to me so I have often wondered about it and thought it's design might appear familiar to someone on here. I'm so glad you got to use your mountain out of a molehill analogy though....

Hopefully there are others on ATS who might offer a little more assistance. Sorry to have bothered you. Gee.

I found it interesting....and unexplained.

cheers

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

It is curious because even the local townspeople don't know who built it or why?

It's close to me so I have often wondered about it and thought it's design might appear familiar to someone on here. I'm so glad you got to use your mountain out of a molehill analogy though....

Hopefully there are others on ATS who might offer a little more assistance. Sorry to have bothered you. Gee.

I found it interesting....and unexplained.

cheers

What town is it in? What is the road it is on? The address? Need some more info in order for people to research this

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wes225

A Jewish Temple? Interesting. Do you have any more information about this and how did you learn about it. Thanks for the help.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

The “castle” is a recent (2005) medieval reconstruction, one mile west of Metamora on U.S. 52. The main purpose of the structure seems to be to attract attention, and inspire questions like.....
What is it ?
Who built it ?
Why ?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wes225
its a jewish temple. near metamora i believe. i've been by it thousands of times. nothing suspicious going on there! haha. there should be a sign right next to the road that ascends to it that says something like "temple of the jews" or something of that kind of nature

[edit on 24-4-2009 by Wes225]

You must be confused. Why would a Jewish Temple have a CROSS on the side of it?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Thanks! Sorry, I missed that. Was to enamored with the photos (I love castles
)

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

The Mystery of Mount Metamora

In Franklin County in Eastern Indiana lies a place so steeped in mystery that the observer has no boundaries in imagination. The seemingly artifical hilltop compels one to reach back to the mystery of ancient energy, lay lines and beyond. Like the Thor in Glastonbury, England, it is adorned by a stone tower of medieval character. It is a mystery….

The only information that seems to be available on the castle...leads to more questions.

The “castle” is a recent (2005) medieval reconstruction, one mile west of Metamora on U.S. 52.

It is quite interesting....i guess.
But to hype it up and build the mystery surrounding it up like that... doesn't sit well with some members.
I don't care either way.
It's a modern building 2005, and what?

I don't really know what to say..... is there no information from your local council or planning office.
I mean if you are genuinely serious about finding out about this amazingly mysterious place... I'm sure it would only take a phone call.

[edit on 24/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Thanks! Sorry, I missed that. Was to enamored with the photos (I love castles
)
theres no actual "cross" there there is a "+" style thing on the top i do believe. but don't quote me on that.

link   
Thanks for the info ~ I live in Indy and will have to go check this out - if only to see it myself. ]:>

I would surely think the citys Historical Society or town tourist department would have info. Keep us posted on your findings!

link   

It is very interesting, and I live not far from it, and will visit if I have a chance to.

Thanks for the information.

I just don't see a need into making it more than it is.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i really do vaguely remember it being very weird. the gates are pretty big. could be some kind of cult facility too. its very cult like

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

My apologies...it was not my intention to "hype." It is a castle on a hill that looks very much like a Tor in Indiana and I asked What is this place? The only address is Castle Road and I did call the assessors office once and they have no record of it or ownership as far as they could tell. I do not live in this county and have only seen it numerous times on my way through. It's not the average sight you see...in Indiana at least.

The fact that even the tourism information about the area asks question about who and why....presented a mystery. I thought some on here might have more insight. Feel free to not participate if it is to bothersome.

On edit: as I have web crawled in the past trying to find info about this place or similar places...you really are led down a strange path of lay (sp) lines and the such in connection with castles on hills. I have never been able to find a lay line map of the U.S. so I couldn't even guess if like England, there are places in the U.S. that supposedly lie on them. I was attempting to share some of the strange information I have found as I looked.

I will try to be less hypy...it just gives me that very strange vibe....like when you see something totally out of place. Anyways...sorry.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It's a thread asking a question....not a national broadcast.

Glad you get a chance to check it out though.....

I just found it very strange and yes...fortified at its base with a gate as another poster pointed out.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Land tax is public information. If you are so interested, you can find the information at local libraries.

I don't believe ya when you say the assesors office doesn't know who holds the deed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join